Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 2 Minute Fox Movie Channel Projectionist Documentery

Author Topic: 2 Minute Fox Movie Channel Projectionist Documentery
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just watching Fox Movie Channel, and between 2 movies they had a little documentary on what it was to be a projectionist. I thought that was cool, until I saw the way the projectionist they were doing it on was working. He worked for Cineplex Odeon, and said he had been running film since 1968.

When threading he threaded the payout deck, put more than 20 feet of film on the floor, threaded the projector, then the take-up deck.

The film had yellow splicing tape on it.

He said there were two formats for sound on film, optical and DTS... no mention of SRD or SDDS.

I know this stuff isnt horrible, but wouldnt you think that a big movie studio like Fox would at least have a good projectionist show how the booth works. I'm sure they even probably have some good ones on their own payroll.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez Adam, the guy has been projecting for 36 years! Don't you read the forums? Clearly this means that he knows the best way to do things and is all knowledgeable purely based upon how many years he has been projecting. I'm sure he is open minded too and would love to try better ways of doing his job. That's why he dumps the leader onto the floor and uses yellow splicing tape. [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-17-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He said there were two formats for sound on film, optical and DTS... no mention of SRD or SDDS.
Maybe it was filmed in 1993? in which case (at least for 35mm) that would be somewhat true [Big Grin]

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-17-2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted: Post no longer relevant...

>>> Phil

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-17-2003 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby SR*D predates DTS. In fact, until DTS, Dolby pretty much had a lock on it though it cost more than 70mm to install. I think the DA-10 was something like $15,000 and the readers were $3,000 each plus the light bulb power supply (rack mount for the Cat. 699). It twerent cheap. Then DTS came along in 1993 with Jurassic Park for the near give away price in the 3000-$4000 price range (including reader) and suddenly with competition, Dolby's price came down too.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: