Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ducking & Diving employers tactics

Author Topic: Ducking & Diving employers tactics
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, not been contributing too much recently but those of you who have followed what's happend to me may well be interested in this item. It was included in the BECTU union magazine that I am a member of... it concerns my old employers City Screen.....

Smoke and Mirrors.
==================

Last month BECTU appeared before the Central Arbitration Committee trying to win statutory recognition for three cinema's now owned by City Screen. It's previous owners (Oasis Cinemas) recognised BECTU but City Screen refused.

So Bectu turned to the new statutory recognition laws, which specifically exculdes applications for recognition where there is a collective agreement in force between the employer and any other trade union at the time of the application.

BECTU's application was loged with the CAC on 7 October. On 10 October the board of City Screen met and ratified a collective agreement with City Screen Staff forum, an entirly bogus organisation set up solely to attempt to frustrate BECTU's application for satutory recognition. The rules of the organisation are what any union might regard as 'model rules'.

The company applied to the government's certification officer and were added to the list of trade unions, but not as an independant uniuon.

This is hardly surprising given that the administrator of the staff Forum is also company secretary and board member Alastair Oatey while the president of the union is none other than Lyn Goleby, the managing director of City Screen Ltd!

This 'union' by admission of it's 'officers' at the CAC hearing does not have any memebers.

Even curiouser, the QC drafted in by the compay to try to have BRCTU's application ruled inadmissible on the grounds that the company recognised the staff forum was none other than Cherie Booth QC!

=========================

Now thoses of you who looked at my web site will know only too well Alastair Oatey and Lyn Goleby.... but the hypocrasy of this whole affair beggers belief. For a company that has hated union membership to actually create a union is staggereing.... I'm sure you can smell the stench all the way to the USA.

It's also very worrying to hear the our Prime Minister's wife is part of this whole charade.... As we all know the Lady of the house has a very big impact on policy.... so where does that leave us in the UK.

It does at least explain that awful cheesy smile of Cherie's.... she's not laughing with us.... she's laughing AT US!

City Screen staff should be afraid.... very afraid.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to fix your "teaser subject title" or this thread will be deleted.

Moving to Yak.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Brad, I posted without thinking of the correct forum....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: