Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Model Railroaders, anyone ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Model Railroaders, anyone ?
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If so, and if in Europe - don't miss [URL=www.miniatur-wunderland.de][/URL], which I stumbled into during intermission in an digital projection demo last autumn, and just revisited last week. -It is now 1.600 square meters of HO gauge digitally controlled adventureland (situated in Hamburg), including cars driving around the landscape, fire breaking out and beeing put out by upcoming firedept. and a world of details, incl. one pair of lovemaking youngsters in a wood ! Never seen anything like it !

P.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 10 I was introduced to a pile of "Model Railroader Magazines". I got the bug then and spent hour upon hour drawing and designing model railroad layouts. I got a small set for Christmas that year and wanted to go on with the hobby but could never get my stepfather motivated.
Now they have digital eh?

I might have to look into that hobby again

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 11:33 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's NYTimes [12/25/03, Circuits section] has an illustrated article on digital model railroading, explaining how the digital remote controls enable the running of multiple trains on the same track (up to 32, with one controller), and comparing it to analog systems, which require separations of circuits, voltages and currents.

The online edition article, "Stoke the Nostalgia, and the Old Rails Keep Humming", is a brief history of model railroading, not especially rewarding, but you have to access it to get to the illustrations and diagrams by clicking on the small box in the right-hand margin entitled "A Different Kind of Local Area Network." This shows well on my computer, but cannot be copied nor accessed directly. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/25/technology/circuits/25howw.html

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to have an HO railway that covered a good deal of my parents basement. Later got interested in live steam and old hit and miss gas engines. I live just a few miles from this live steam club....
http://www.sssrr.8m.com/park/index.html

Am in the ssssllllooooowwwww process of building a 71/2" Shay live steam engine. Have accumulated enough of the castings and metal stock to start machining the frames right after the first of the year.
Merry Chriistmas to all!

Mark

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark--

I am also interested in live steam (7 1/2" scale) Just never
had enough $$$ to get into it "full blast". Maybe someday
soon, though!

FJN

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-25-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my day job we always set up a large layout of O gauge Lionel trains. It grows every year...started in the 1980s at 4x8 feet, and this year it's 36 feet wide and 7 feet deep. We add at least a half dozen pieces to it every year. My wife collects the "North Pole Series" from Department 56 so we have a "North Pole" at one end. It's a lot of fun.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Floyd,
Most live steam engines can be built a section at a time at quite reasonable expense. The only costly thing is the boiler...which has to be certified yearly in most states. When you are done you posess a very valualable engine which would certainly give a HUGE return vs. cost to build. I figure it'll take me at least three years of of what little spare time I have to build it. The Shay is also a much less expensive engine to build than say a 4-6-2 or thereabouts. It is also a bit more practical to move around.
Here is the link.....

http://www.shaylocomotive.com/default.php

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-25-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

You should meet my neighbor:

-

He's got a track that goes all around his yard & has a grand old time giving rides to the neighborhood kids. Bob's been a train man, probably since before there was coal. [Wink] J.K. He used to work at Erie Stoker, making coal stokers for steam boilers.

He tells me about this place called Train Mountain. He wants to take his rig out there before... well, before TOO long. Transportation from Pennsylvania to Oregon with a rig like that is a big issue.

Pretty soon, this locomotive is going to need a good home. I'd like to see it find a home with somebody who would appreciate it.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark--
Thanks for the return message. I REALLY dig 'steam engine'
info... both traction and stationary. Just MAYBE some day
I'll have my own RR and you and I can introduce our engines
on the same track!

fjn [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy didn't mention it but his locale of Erie, PA is the home of General Electric Transportation Systems, the major USA builder of diesel locomotives since GM shifted final assembly for its Electro Motive Division from outside Chicago to London, ON. The LaGrange, IL (mailing address; it's actually in McCook.) plant still builds the diesel engines, the alternators, traction motors, and assembles the electrical cabinets. Body components were being trucked from Super Steel Milwaukee but I haven't seen them on the highway for awhile so don't know if that is still true.

I haven't been a modeler since I was a kid (although a nearbye shelf holds HO F7A & F7B models I picked up at a hamfest) but I am very much a train buff in terms of reading, watching, photography etc. I continue to build my collection of TRAINS magazines which is pretty much solid from '53 forward; filling in the 1940's and early 50's now.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have known - Never tell americans, You're impressed by something - they've allways got something bigger !
But IS bigger better ??

Well, -I'll stay with the HO - 16,5mm gauge - and the 2m (Lehmann) on stage at christmas time sometimes (not this year - just a giant Baloo with a red hat)

The size 2m was by the way quite impressive as extras in the London Theatre (donøt remember the name) doing the "Starlight Express. -Those little train were all over the auditorium - under the ceiling - at the edge of the balconys....

Small is beautiful, a friendly journalist once wrote, writing about the CinemaxX 8-plex compared with my little flea circus.
Nice paper !

p.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-26-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He tells me about this place called Train Mountain.
We have a similar place near here called Train Town , which always reminds me of a Lionel train on major steroids... Everyone seems to enjoy the place though.

-Aaron

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per, don´t miss this GM-EMD diesel extravaganza event next August in Odense:

Dieseldage (14. - 15. august 2004):
Kørsel med og udstilling af bl.a. GM-diesellokomotiver fra Danmark og udlandet. Træf for minitog. Veterantog på flere strækninger. Salgsboder og udstilling. Tider og priser oplyses senere.

Yes, I´m hooked too, on Märklin H0 and 1:1 GM diesels. Got my own side door from Danish Class My 1117.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - and a speciel device for sanding...! [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Steve Kraus: Randy didn't mention it but his locale of Erie, PA is the home of General Electric Transportation Systems...

Steve, you really seem to know your shit! [Smile]

Yes, G.E.T.S. is just on the other side of town. I know somebody who knows somebody... If you're ever in town, I could probably make a few calls and see what happens. Maybe we could get a tour. I have on a couple occasions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: