Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Car Crash in North Carolina (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Car Crash in North Carolina
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to get a few different viewpoints on this news story.

I saw it on the Today Show the other day that there was a car with 7 kids it that crashed after a short police chase. The kids ages ranged from 13 years-16 years. The occupants were black males and females. The driver was a 15 year old kid. They had just stolen the car a little earlier. The car was traveling at speeds upwards of 80 mph. When the police started giving chase, the speed went to 115-120mph. The car crashed and they all died.

The police investigated and cleared the officer of any wrongdoing. The parents were very distraught, which is understandable. Their deaths WERE right after christmas.

My problem with this....
Matt Lauer called it a horrible tragedy.
No one was speaking about the fact that they STOLE the car.

I do have remorse for the families to a point. They are blaming the fact they should have been stopped while the car was being stolen by the police. Like they can babysit!!

I have no remorse for the dead. I think they deserved every bit of pain they got because they were criminals out joyriding. If the parents were there with them, then this could have been prevented. I just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on this subject.

If this is in the wrong forum, my apologies in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The occupants were black males and females.
Is this really relevant to the incident?

quote:
have no remorse for the dead. I think they deserved every bit of pain they got because they were criminals out joyriding.
I find the situation very tragic. Yes, their deaths were a result of their actions, and they made a very foolish mistake. But now with their deaths, they will never have the opportunity to rectify the poor choices they made at such an early age.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wrote what the said on the news.

Honestly though, what makes you think that they would correct their mistakes later in life? Most criminals as teenagers, black or white, usually stay that way as adults from what I've seen over the years.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-30-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Greco wrote:

quote:
Most criminals as teenagers, black or white, usually stay that way as adults from what I've seen over the years.

That's certainly a broad statement! [Roll Eyes]

If people cannot be rehabilitated, what is the purpose of prison or the judicial system? If "criminals" are incorrigible, should we just execute them all, lest they commit crime again when they get out of prison? Or keep them in prison forever? In this case, should the sentence for joyriding be death (if not accidental, then execution) or life in prison for all seven youngsters, just in case they might steal another car?

IMHO, non-violent (property) crimes should be punished by complete restitution and fines, not prison. In the case of minors, the parents should also be held responsible, including full restitution.

quote:
The driver was a 15 year old kid.
So every 15-year old "kid" on a joyride is impossible to rehabilitate?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-30-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The occupants were black males and females...
quote:
Is this really relevant to the incident?
If the officers were Caucasian, someone in the Jackson/Sharpton camp is going to find a way to attempt to shift total blame on the 'evil racist white cops'

Regardless of the color of their skin, had they stopped when they were told to, they would all be alive today. At least they did not kill any innocent motorists/pedestrians in the chase that ensued.

-Aaron

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regardless of the color of their skin, had they stopped when they were told to, they would all be alive today.
I absolutely agree. I still find it tragic, though.

quote:
If the officers were Caucasian, someone in the Jackson/Sharpton camp is going to find a way to attempt to shift total blame on the 'evil racist white cops'
well, I certainly would hope no one would exploit this racially. That's why I'm against pointing out the color of the skin on either side. It's wrong on both sides to do so.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in NZ there has been about 8 deaths over the last week or so caused by youth trying to out run the Police , some of the deaths occurred after the car chase was abandoned and the cars crashed anyway ,the problem has started a case for the police to give up the chase if the it goes over 120kph ,well this is going to encourage the chase to go to this speed then the chase has to be stopped at this point ,question is ..... do we suppose that this is going to prevent an accident or leaving them to do as they wish cause a death later in the day ????? most of these chases involved Drink or Drugs , but mostly stolen cars .

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2003 03:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Yak.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 04:07 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's been a quite a few deaths in vehicle accidents here as well in the past week. Mainly do to the conditions, as I type this it's snowing pretty bad.

The local RCMP media spokesperson is begging with the public to slow down.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 04:29 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no sympathy for these kids, and that they were black has nothing to do with my opinion.

First, had they stopped when confronted by police, they would be alive today.

Second, their actions put the community in danger. What would have happened if they would have injured or killed innocent bystanders?

Third, THEY STOLE THE CAR! What about the inconvience caused to the property owner? How about this scnerio? What if the car owner is a person who is one or two paychecks away from being homeless, and is utterly dependant on that car as a means of earning a paycheck? Do the parents of the perps have insurance, or assests to reimburse the property owner?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 07:12 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local news said that the car in question had one of those stupid 'doughnut' spare tires on it. Those things should not be used for anything other than getting you to the next exit, or the next gas station to be replaced.

It's a sign of the times. There are alot of people driving around on these spare tires. I also see lots of bald tires. A friend almost died when his tire blew a few weeks ago.

Until I read it here, I never heard anything about the race of the children in the car, and this has been the hot topic on TV for several days.

Look at all the car chase movies out there these days. People seem to think that they are invincible behind the wheel!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-31-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear the sound of another pellet of clorine dropping into the gene pool! [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-31-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies are to blame for this. If it weren't for movies (and those evil videogames) then everyone who has ever died on this planet would still be alive today.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Will said plus....
The real tragedy is that the parents have taught their children that the white cops are wrong and their little "apple dumplings" are "righteous and just" in their defiance of the laws and the law enforcement officers. Had those children been taught to be responsible for their actions and respect for the law they would still be alive.
Here in Washington State, in the Seattle Tacoma area, it seems as though every time a "person of color" is killed, (in a confrontation with law enforcement) the race card is thrown. A couple years back a black kid beat a white kid to death at Fat Tuesday. There was a real ruckus by the black community because they claimed the prosecution of that murderer was racially motivated.
Its time to be color blind on both sides.

I also agree that it is absurd to break off a chase because it reaches a certain KPH or MPH. All that tells the offenders is to go like hell and they won't get caught.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-31-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that cutting off the chase is a bad idea. Regardless of the risk to anyone, there must be shown that consequences are real and will come to you and possibly others.

I have had it with touchy feely police departments and those that try to control them. They are here to keep the peace. When you give nothing but peace, you destroy any peace you have. There are bad people out there, and will take advantage of touchy feely rules.

These people got thier justice meted out in a very quick way. I hope things like this send messages to others that this behaviour means bad things to you.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: