Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's going on in the night sky?

Author Topic: What's going on in the night sky?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 10:32 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested in what's happening in the night sky. You can got to
http://www.stardate.org/
and click on "Listen to Yesterday's Program"
You'll hear a nice lady talk about interesting events in the night sky. It is yesterday's program, but when it comes to astronomical events it hardly makes a difference.

|  IP: Logged

Nicholas Suchyta
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Email Nicholas Suchyta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another good site is Space Weather. They keep you informed on meteor showers and auroras, not to mention a lot of other things going on in the heavens.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-31-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stardate is a good one--we get it here on KNPR 88.9, one of the local Nevada Public Radio stations.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-31-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the "Starhustler" on public TV stations. Jack Horkeimer, I believe his name is, from Miami. He's a hoot, very entertaining.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2004 04:28 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unfortunately, he's now the "star gazer". doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

carl

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-01-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you're KIDDING?! Did the PC crowd get to him, too?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-01-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who know Jack in Miami or have worked with him, the "hustler" part fits but in a nice way. [Wink]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 01:54 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - so I'm the geek with the interest in both astronomy and astrology, and I have found that knowledge of one helps the other.

As I don't know all the constellations inside and out - my star map is a handy item - but other than that, as long as I have a current ephemeris - I can determine where in the sky to look for things.

In a nutshell, provided I know (or can find out) what signs the Moon and the planets are in - by finding the Moon in the sky, I can determine which planets should be visible, and reason out where to look for them.
[thumbsup]

I love my new calendar - it's an almanac, introduction to the daily use of astrology, ephemeris and calendar all in one!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 09:52 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracia
Next time you get by a news stand, take a look at Sky & Telescope Magazine. It has a "centerfold" section that is a "coming month's star chart" and a section that tells about that month's coming attractions, both for the northern and southern hemisphere. I think the January issue gives you a nice ephemeris, for the coming year. They also have a snazzy website http://skyandtelescope.com/

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Astronomy Daily registration required

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: