Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Powerball Lottery winner of $210mil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Powerball Lottery winner of $210mil
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came from South Carolina. I 'heard' the winning ticket was sold here in Horry County, that's "OAR-E" not "WHORE-E" county, btw.

I hope that it was someone who could use the money rather than someone who already has an abundance. At any rate, I'm sure that with a one time payout of around $70mil, someone will not be working too much any longer.

To take this a bit further, what would you do were you to win $70mil?

I'd make my company an offer for the 3 theatres in town and attempt to operate them as I feel they should be. Whether that be a good or bad thing is yet to be seen.. [eyes]

Then, I would contribute heavily to the Amercian Heart Association, Cancer Society, and other kids charities that I believe in.

Family vacation would be next, followed by investing for the future.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-01-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd spend it all on me. Well most of it anyway. I'd use a small amount of it to hire someone to steal more money from charities so I could put in my bank account(s) and spend on myself later.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-01-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn! There goes my animation studio and film lab! I was counting on winning that!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I won the big jackpot, I'd buy the Skyline Drive-in Theater in Shelton, Wash. In fact, I'd buy several drive-ins and some single screen indoor theaters as well and I'd make sure SHOWMANSHIP was the rule.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 02:46 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, that would piss me off, winniong 210 million & collecting 70.
Taxes!!, who runs this lottery?

Here you get the lot, as they are state run. Profits go to community groups etc

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2004 03:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If I won that lottery, all of the Dallas/Fort Worth theaters might as well just shut down. I firmly believe the smallest auditorium in a multiplex should be no less than 1000 seats. It would be "film done perfect" with sound systems above and beyond anything out there.

All it takes is a lot of cash.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$70 million would net you $35 million after taxes which would be enough for two large multiplexus.

So if I netted $35 million I would do the following.

Set aside $10 million to live on and retire with.

Use $10 million to finance my company's theatre expansion plans.

Give away $10 million to worthy causes I chose.

Try and spend the $5 million remaining in a fit of friendly generosity and mad money.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-02-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had $10m to blow on a theatre venture, I'd find an older (1920s or 1930s) smallish single-screen (say, 500-1000 seats) in an interesting community, restore it completely to better-than-new condition, and run a mix of repertory and current art programming at low prices and with "film done right" (of course). I bet such a venture would even make a small profit in the right community. And with that kind of cash, it would be possible to go all-out on physical restoration of the building and on paying distributors to strike new prints of titles that may have been out of circulation for years.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jesus, that would piss me off, winniong 210 million & collecting 70.
Taxes!!, who runs this lottery?

David - That's a real sticking point -- that lottery IS RUN by the government. The taxes are a ripoff, I think -- my feeling is lottery winnings should be tax free. (Not that I really care that much -- have never bought a lottery ticket myself.)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-02-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy a new 2k lamp. Oh, and a spare....

>>> Phil

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SOmeone misunderstood me...

$210mil was the TOTAL winning. Two people won. $105mil each, after taxes equates to around $70mil or so. Woudl I comp,ain that the gov. took part of the $105 mil? Hell no... who in the right mind could ever squander that much money anyway?

Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that once said.... "a fool and his money will soon be parted"?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-02-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's pretty much a sure bet that people here would use the money to build a theater. What ELSE would you spend the bucks on?

First, there's the question of all your friends coming to you and claiming that you "promised" to buy them a new car, a new house or give them money if you win. My solution is this. If I ever won I would charter a plane to Las Vegas and block-off a bunch of rooms at the hotel that offered my the best deal. Anybody who's on that plane can come party with me in Vegas for the weekend. Anybody who's not on the plane? Too bad. So sad.

Second, I'd like to use the money to restore my house to its 1940s decor but with more modern plumbing & wiring, etc. You know... A "This Old House" project.

What theater thing would I do? Well, there's an old Warner Theater here in Erie that's desperately in need of restoration. It's been taken over by the local Civic Authority and has been used for concerts and shows for several years. There hasn't been a feature film shown there for almost 10 years. The last time the projectors were even run was when I volunteered to show shorts during their last fund raising event. The equipment there is still quite operational but it's in need of some TLC. The building's architecure is in need of restoration. The building's infrastructure needs to be modernized.

If I ever hit the big lottery I'd use the money to buy the building outright and to a "No Expense Spared" restoration of the building. Once the restoration is finished I'd debut the building with a 70mm feature showed on the Norelco AA-II projectors.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-03-2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't build a theater. I'd build a whole bunch of huge Blockbuster Video franchises right next to each of your theaters!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-03-2004 08:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Joe should start a Pay-Per-View channel as well.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-03-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I won the big jackpot, I'd buy the Skyline Drive-in Theater in Shelton, Wash....
... and Fred would gladly take it all, Ken. Matter of fact, that's probably what he thinks it's worth today! [Razz]
----

...from Brad:
quote:
If I won that lottery, all of the Dallas/Fort Worth theaters might as well just shut down.
What nobody's figured out yet, is that Brad actually did win... but he's made so much money off of Film Guard that he's just forgotten to turn in the ticket!

Oh... Brad, that would be "FdP", eh?

[ 01-03-2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: