Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How to remove bumper stickers?

Author Topic: How to remove bumper stickers?
Roger Katz
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here know how to remove bumper stickers from a painted bumper without damaging the paint? I have a few that need to come off due to wear and tear and to make room for new ones. I just don't want to screw up the finish and end up with the entire car needing a paint job.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say you can spray it with a solution of dish soap and water until it is soaked and then scrape it off.

I say, just buy a new car. [Big Grin]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-02-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goo Gone and FilmGuard are probably the best solvents to remove the adhesive without harming the paint. As for the sticker itself, try GENTLE scraping (after soaking in one of the above solvents) with a plastic object such as a windshield ice scraper.

-Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-02-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using a hair dryer or a heat gun set on LOW to gently warm the sticker material until the adhesive softens. Use a plastic scraper to loosen the edge of the sticker and peel it back inch by inch. Use the heat gun to warm the sticker as you go along.

If you live in a warm climate you could get similar results by parking the car in the hot sun for a few hours. [Smile]

Once you have as much of the sticker removed as you can, then take something like WD-40, FilmGuard or Goo Gone to remove what's left over.

One question, though: Is the paint on the bumper original factory paint? If it is or if it's been repainted by a good autobody pro you should have no problem getting the sticker off without hurting the paint. If it's not factory paint or if the paint hasn't had enough time to completely cure you're going to have a tougher time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: