Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Y'know what I'm sayin'?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Y'know what I'm sayin'?"
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-04-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. What the hell is with this phrase, "y'know what I'm sayin'?"

I've just finished watching a thrilling overtime finish to the Seahawks-Packers wild card playoff football game. Cornerback Al Harris intercepts a slant pass thrown by QB Matt Hasselback and runs it in for the game winning touchtown. Now, Harris made a hell of a play (great read, great catch, fast run). But his after-the-game talk to the sideline reporter was peppered with that "y'know what I'm sayin'" crap.

We hear this phrase coming from everyone trying to front some kind of urban reputation, be it a rapper, politician or some silly white kid in the suburbs trying to act black. Dude, you're a honky just like the rest of us. Accept it.

Anyway, the phrase "y'know what I'm sayin'" really isn't even funny anymore when comedians like Chris Rock make fun it when lampooning rapper cliches. It's just old and sounds as stupid as dated expressions like "groovy" or "swell."

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you're sayin. there was a guy in my speech class a few semesters ago that said "ya know what im sayin" in every sentence, luckily he never could give a speech over two minutes.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually guys.. it comes across as...

"ykna whaa I'n sayn"

ANd yes, it gets aggravating as hell. I keep interrupting "No, I don't "kna whaya sayn".

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-04-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I never stopped using Jim Varney's

"You know what I mean, Vern?"

and, for me, that dates back to around 1988. [Eek!]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another phrase to nominate for the Banished Words list.

Such a shame this thread didn't come up 2-3 weeks sooner. We would have goaded Bobby to nominate "Y'know what I'm sayin'?"

Incidentally, Al Harris is black.

[ 01-05-2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Charles Everett ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-04-2004 04:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, have you seen "Office Space"?

"Y'know what I'm sayin'. Gonna show her my o-face."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-04-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people say "Y'knowwhati'msayin'" it just means that they are retarded. Serious. People have been doing this for awhile, though. Well, the retarded ones anyway.

When you hear someone talk like this, the best thing you can do is point it out and make fun of them. Everyone likes to laugh, so they will laugh at the retarded individual. The retarded person will not like being laughed at, and will mabe be forced to go back to special ed school (where they dropped out).

I watched the end of that game, and when the reporter started asking him "How did you do that?" (stupid question, by the way) he started saying "Well it's all about studying film (video?) etc etc etc" and I immediately changed the channels to watch the Broncos lose. Studying film? Bullshit! He was in the right place at the right time. Simple as that. What a retard!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-04-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Office Space is a funny movie. I chuckled at the term "o-face." It's visually descriptive. "Y'know what I'm sayin'" is not. I suppose the phrase is the "urban" way of saying, "uh."

I strongly agree that anyone using the phrase, "y'know what I'm sayin'" sounds like a retard. Unfortunately, it's usually some big jock, someone with a criminal record or just someone glorifying white-trash culture or inner city down-wit-it bullshit. So you're taking your chances if you want to just come right out and say, "you sound like f**king idiot." But someone needs to do that already.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-04-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same rules for writing prose. Stay away from the street slang and latest catch phrases! It's a bad habit, it obfuscates your meaning, and it dates you when your interview is played back (or your work is read).

Some guy that ran a booth in Houston I serviced used to say "understann whaa i'n saayn?" about every other sentence. It took him forever to tell me about booth problems. Like Joe suggests, I finally got tired of waiting for him to get to the point, that I just started hollering back, "YES!! I understand what you're saying!" every time he said it. While that didn't break him of the habit, it cut the occurrences by about 50%.

So, leave the dated phrases behind, and use your head.

Jeepers!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-04-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I firmly believe the reporter should have started making fun of him during the interview and urged all of America to join in and perhaps even point at him while laughing. OK that may have been a little much, but the reporter should have thrown in a "Know whut I'm sayin'" or three in his follow up question. That would have made the point at least to the people who were watching TV.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-04-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talkin' to me?

Are you...who you talkin' to?

Are you f*cking talkin' to ME?

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-04-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can I ask you a question?"

Sure, but only that one. [Roll Eyes]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Basically." I have tried to banish that word from my speech but it still sneaks in once in a while.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 02:19 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Do you understand what I'm saying?" doesn't bother me as much as "Do you see what I'm saying?"

After that, I see laser-burned subtitles appearing under their face for the rest of the conversation. In the same language they're speaking.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 07:22 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People that say this phrase probably have no idea that they are making the person they are talking to want to strangle them.

One day on The People's Court (American daytime TV show) the defendant said this phrase at least 20-30 times before the judge interjected with: If you will get on with it, I will know what you are saying. Defendant never had a clue.

Sometimes, I just count how many times I hear it.

Jim Varney. RIP. We saw him on local TV for many years before he hit it in the movies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: