Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best bond film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best bond film
Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 06:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of the 21 Bond films which is (in your own opinion) the best.

I ask as I have now After Christmas got them all on DVD.

My Girlfriend who hates 007 films, has to admit that she can sit through Die Another day.

So there is hope

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-05-2004 07:00 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote would be for "Goldfinger" with Sean Connery, who I believe was the real James Bond. Just ask Q.

All the other James Bond's are distant seconds.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 08:37 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote would be From Russia With Love. Less gadgets and truer to the novels.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 09:01 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second 'From Russia With Love'. It's a class act all the way.

Of the more recent (relatively speaking) Bonds, I think 'The Living Daylights' is perhaps the best.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 10:28 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"OHMSS", great women, good Bond, fantastic cinematography, great locations, good acting and the best 007 score yet.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the vote for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." Quite faithful to the book, with a great John Barry score, strong Bond woman in Diana Rigg, great photography, and few gadgets. I love Bond on skis!

A close second (for me) is the ersatz sequel, "For Your Eyes Only." Much of the same applies, although John Barry could have helped.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Living Daylights " for me , a real romance and action film and he is not bed hopping in this one [beer]

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ill third the vote fo On Her Majesties Secret Service. Im planning my next vacation to end up in Murren, Switzerland so I con take the ride up to Piz Gloria.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Connery IS the definitive James Bond but IF George Lazenby didn't quit I think he COULD HAVE BEEN one of the top Bond actors! Maybe not as good as Sir Sean but a close second.

I like Telly Savalas as Blofeld too. I think he was a better bad guy than Charles Gray (Diamonds are Forever) or Donald Pleasance. (You Only Live Twice)

What I really like about this movie is that it sets into motion the whole psychological motivation of the James Bond character and begins the relationship between Bond and Blofeld that last for many of the rest of the Bond movies. Blofeld tries to kill Bond and ends up machine-gunning Bond's new wife, pretty much in cold blood. From that moment on, Bond vows to never love another woman as much as he loved Tracy. (Diana Rigg) It sets him on the path to being the "great lover" we all know him to be in later movies. James devotes his life to work for "Queen and Country" and he vows to get revenge against his arch enemy, Earnst Stavros Blofeld.

Though it's not the first James Bond movie it is the movie that begins the whole James Bond story. Even if On Her Majesty's Secret Service is not your favorite 007 movie I still say it's "required reading" for any James Bond fan!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-05-2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Lazenby quit or was it decided to bring Connery back because I understand the movie wasn`t a big success at the time?
I am undecided between "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball".

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I remember it, Connery coudln't be Bond again due to prior obligations and Lazenby was tapped. Sean actually told George to do at LEAST two Bond films. When the next movie was scheduled, George Lazenby was out of the counrty (or something) and couldn't (wouldn't) return in time to make the film. Connery was called in to take over again and the rest is history.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-05-2004 04:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of the country? Didn`t they already have telephones in the 60s? Was IHMSS a success at the time? Would Lazenby have had the option to continue?

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Goldfinger
2. You Only Live Twice
3. Thunderball
4. Moonraker

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the tops with You only live twice second and Diamonds as the third and Dr No 4th

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Lazenby was getting other more lucrative offers WHILE he was shooting OHMSS. He admits to getting a swelled head and becoming a primadonna. The offers, coupled with his belief that the end of the 1960's meant the end of the Bond era, prompted his announcement that OHMSS would be his only Bond film.

The original plan was to end the film with James and Tracy driving away as newlyweds (remember that crane shot near the end?). Diamonds Are Forever was to have begun with Tracy's death and Bond's search for revenge. Knowing that they wouldn't have Lazenby again, the story was kept intact in the film.

It's the official Christmas movie in this house, and I drive John nuts singing "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?" [uhoh]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: