Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is Love?

Author Topic: What is Love?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-06-2004 02:46 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love is a mysterious, intangible thing. Perhaps one of the reasons it's so hard to define or describe is that it is a personal emotion. Ten different people could conceivably offer ten unique perspectives.

Why not share with us your take on what love is (and what it isn't) ?

Ground Rules: Please be serious and avoid "hit and run" or gag posts. Limit the discussion to ROMANTIC LOVE of one person for another or, of course, two individuals for one another. Physical attraction. The condition of being "in love." That's what I want you to focus on. Avoid talking about God's love or the love of a mother for a child or "brotherly love."

Note to the bitter cynics -- If you really and truly do not believe in love then your comments are also welcome if you're willing to explain how/why you arrived at that conclusion.

I'll go first...

I remember reading in "The Road Less Traveled" a very full description and analysis of what happens when we "fall in love." Basically, the argument was that the feelings associated with falling in love are a byproduct of the mating instinct. We lose our minds, basically. Otherwise -- if we thought it through rationally -- a lot of us wouldn't breed. So there's this brief period where we just can't get enough of each other and then things level off. Not realizing that this is natural and predictable, many couples assume that they have "fallen out of love" and part ways.

Basically, this guy says that love is not a feeling. "Love is a verb." It's what you do and what you don't do.

Okay...who's next?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 09:45 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always impressed by Eric Fromm's (sp?) take on love.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 10:28 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this should be moved to "Film-Yech"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ground Rules: Please be serious and avoid "hit and run" or gag posts.
Steven, while this isn't a specific forum rule, Manny did request this when he originated his topic. That's a bit rude of you.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Perhaps Steven is one of the bitter cynics Manny referred to???

[Eek!]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-06-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like what the indian guy in Matrix Revolutions said to neo that "love is a word". Probably the most interesting moment of the entire film.

However, I digress, whatever the hell that means.

Here is what love is to me...

When I met my second wife, and I do mean when I met her, it was love at first site, or sight, depending on your point of view. To this day, ten years later, that has not changed. My feelings for her never dwindeled and they do not require reciprocation. The do not require her to feel any specific way, as the love I feel for her is totally unconditional.

There was a time that she was not happy and wanted a different road than the one that I was on. because of the love I have for her I let her go, because that is what love is, allowing that which you love to be happy, regardless of where it takes them.

She is remarried, and struggles from time to time. Often she will confide in me and ask for my advice, and on more than one occasion I helped her through some tough times and helped keep her marraige together instead of taking the obvious route and tried to pry them apart.

She is happy today, and so am I. While the feelings for her that I have never have changed in one bit, I do not pine for her or obsess for her either. Instead, I just revel in knowing that she is where she wants to be, and is happy. That is all I ever wanted for her.

Someday perhaps, a new spark may take my attention away from the drudgery of regular life, and perhaps I may even welcome it. However it will never replace what I feel for her and it should'nt either. I had a true love before this one, and I imagine I will have another one some day as well.

All things good and bad make up what we are, and i wouldn't replace any of it for anything. I am who I am because of who I love and how I love, not for who I am with.

This is probably the MOST open I have ever been about this subject. How dare you make me be open!!! [Mad]

Caio

Dave

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loving, over and over again now.
It aint nothing girl, till youve felt the pain.
up against the wall, why does love always have to hurt?
your scratches run across my back and then a tear.
Dear lover, I cant take the pain no more
Dear lover, I pick my heart up from the floor.
Dear lover, I cant believe it came to this.
Dear lover, give me one last painful kiss.
thier aint nothin in this world for free now.
So how high of a price will you pay?
Hear the screams so loud wake up to the broken glass.
It's a scene from bad to worse and then more tears

--Social Distortion

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Love is a trick that nature plays on us to get us to reproduce."
- Callisto (from Xena, Warrior Princess)

And yes, I'm being serious.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-07-2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is too simple to reduce the phenomenon of love to reproduction. A lot of animals - it is obvious that a lot of animals have a complex psyche, but definitely not all species - reproduce without probably having a concept of love. And a lot of human infants are conceived and raised without much or any love, just out of horniness and stupidity.
This may be one key: raising children. Human infants are born relatively early (if they were born later, the head would be too large), in fact at an earlier development stage than any other mammal. This means that of all animals, humans are also the ones who are dependent on their parents for the longest period. This necessitates a tight social structure and bonding with the partner who has to (or should) be around long enough to protect mother and child and make his contribution to raising it. And of course a very tight bond between child and parents.
Another factor may be that we are social animals with a very complex psyche which both needs and produces communication to develop itself. Obviously, our sexuality and our identity are central topics. Sharing (naturally for a social animal) and thereby enhancing them can be done on many levels, but obviously the person we are closest to physically would be also the person with which we would seek to share other more mental experiences the most. Because body and mind are a unity.
This is not at all to deny the important role reproduction plays in the concept of love. On the contrary, the urge to mate and the success or failure at finding partners reach very deep into our soul and is one of the most important factors which shape our self-perception. That is also why many organized religions seek to control the love life of people: because it is the most powerful way of controlling them.

Of course, these are only a few concepts of approaching this phenomenon. The mystery of love is inexplicable, as is the fact that we are emotionally experiencing the world around us.

I haven`t read Erich Fromm, but I believe he also stresses the interaction of psyche and society, as do many psychologists and anthropologists.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 09:41 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love is a difficult thing to fully describe - when you feel it, you know it - no one else can tell you whether or not it is there.

To love someone, you care about them, their well being, their happiness, just because you do - not because you're motivated by how it will work to your own benefit.

Love tends to involve attraction on multiple levels. The most obvious is the most animal - the physical / sexual attraction, less visible are the intellectual, and spiritual attractions. The latter not everyone will detect, as many people have yet to awaken their own spiritual sensitivities. The most enduring love will combine those three forms of attraction.

I'm now saying this from the point of view of a happy person that has indeed fallen in love. We were friends first, introduced by a mutual acqaintance, and began to get to know each other in a geeky context- playing Magic: the Gathering. So of course, while playing that game, we discovered in conversation the multitude of interests we have in common. It was the realization of the physical attraction that developed gradually - we had both been *distracted* by others for a while. Then there was the night we spoke openly of the feelings we mutually had developed for one another, and shared our first kiss - which was truly a thing of beauty. You really can tell much about a person's feelings for you by the way they kiss you - I was instantly hooked. No other kiss had touched me on such a deep emotional level, with so much tenderness and passion at once. Something else we quickly noticed (both being pagan & spiritually inclined) - when we embraced the energies from both of our heart chakras fired up and while still retaining their individualities, mingled with each other in a most pleasing manner.
...While we didn't give in to temptation immediately (which I think is for the better), we have since discovered that we certainly are sexually compatible. [thumbsup]

Time will tell more than I know right now about the future of this relationship - I am however, highly optimistic. [Smile]

Ok, so I was just a bit more sappy than is normal for my fiesty self - but like I said, I've been very happy. [Big Grin]

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Robin Williams said it best in "Good Will Hunting". I cannot remember the exact quote, but it refers to the idiosyncrasies becoming adoring traits rather than imperfections. When you can laugh and enjoy something that drives you absolutely nuts. As an example, my wife has a bad habit of leaving butter out and not replacing the lid on the milk, these things bug the hell out of me, but we laugh about it all the time. She also looks more beautiful with each passing year and I am always happy to go home to her and our children. We've been married for 5 years, been together for almost 9. I met her at age 12 in junior bowling and we became high school sweethearts later. Consequently we were married at the bowling alley, and well before "Ed" was on TV.

I do have to break a small rule and mention the love of family i.e. brotherly love. My family immediate and extended share a love I have seldom seen elsewhere, those that have it, I am deeply happy for you. All of us would die for eachother. This was born from a lot of illness in our family through the years, but we share something very special. My father needs a kidney and everyone has lined up to test themselves for the opportunity. This is more special because the family offering is my mothers side, not my father's immediate relatives. Love to me is very real, and life would be unbearable without it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: