Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What does U stand for? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What does U stand for?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-07-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all know I stands for intensity and P for power. We also all know that U is used in formulas for voltage. But what is the word that is abbreviated with U?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-07-2004 01:27 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being the expert you are with the english language, you should know.....

JJ

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2004 02:10 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... to me, "I" stands for current and "E" stands for voltage.

Are you asking about what "U" stands for in a formula or as in "FU" which would mean Fuck You, Michael?

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-07-2004 02:31 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I is current, but what I mean is not what it stands for, but from which words the abbrevaiations are actually derived from. The way I learned it, E is used as an alternative to emf when referring to the electromotive force.

quote:
Being the expert you are with the english language, you should know.....
It may not even be an English word. Actually, I think I is derived from intensitč, but that is basically the same word as intensity.
However, I can tell you that in your sentence, you should write "English" with a capital E.

But what I am curious about is from which word the formula sign U is derived.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-07-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"All right class, let us open up our dictionaries to the F section. Fuck You, a term usually used against a towering asshole, especially in conjunction with anger."

Do I really have to say much more?

JJ

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-07-2004 03:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You`re still quite young, but you should be mature enough to admit that you have outmaneuvered yourself. If you take a rhetorical shot and it backfires, come up with a witty counterattack, don`t take refuge in plain aggression.
Anyway, that doesn`t contain much information about the formula abbreviations.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2004 03:40 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that if “U” is used as in “U.S.A.” it’s considered an abbreviation of “United” and it’s derivation for use is obvious.

But when used as a symbol like in a physics formula where “U” denotes internal energy, I haven’t got a clue.

OTOH, when used as in the road sign “No U Turn” for example, while it’s still being used as a symbol, its derivation is once again obvious.

Ya know what I’m sayin’?

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-07-2004 03:53 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I have created some confusion here. Is it at all common in English to represent voltage in formulas with an U? In German, you would write P=UI.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2004 04:05 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's common in English to usually represent voltage as "E". Thus: P=IE (pie) [Smile]

It may be "emf" in some circles and formulae.

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-07-2004 04:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught to look at the electromotive force as different from the voltage, but since the voltage results from the charges being moved by the emf, and both are given in volts, it probably makes sense to use the terms interchangeably. If it is not common to use U here, then it may be a specific German abbreviation. I always suspected it stands for something like "ungleichheit" (="inequality") referring to the potential difference. But I never found any solid information on this.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2004 04:38 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I learned too. Electromotive force is the "force" to make the movement of the potential difference around a circuit. Both being expressed in volts only adds to the confusion.

It makes sense where the "U" came from based on what you said:
quote:
... "ungleichheit" (="inequality") referring to the potential difference ...
>>> Phil

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 05:27 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then it doesn´t quite make sense that it´s the same in Swedish (for U that is) but the German word is not applicable. I´ve been taught P=UI as well as U=RI, having unit Volt, but being different from E, and not entirely interchangable (but that could have more to do with being consistent and understood than a physical fact)..
I´d like to argue that the question still stands, and that I, too, am intersted in the answer. Hope somebody knows.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-07-2004 08:22 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I've never seen "U" used at all, but it has been more than 25 years since I studied electronics, too. The textbooks I have say either:

E=IR
or
V=IR

"E" is electromotive force (or "V" for voltage), "P" is power, "I" intensity, and "R" resistance; there was no "U". It must be something outside the United States, or something that has been implemented since I studied the subject.
quote:
Being the expert you are with the english language, you should know...
I may be speaking out of turn, but in Michael's defense, he does ask questions when he wants to know something.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 08:31 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here's a nice wallpaper, learn it, live it.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 09:20 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael I studied Electronics as recently as 10 years ago and I never saw U in any formulas I used. Did you see this in a typed ou formuala or a hand writen formula? Reason I ask is if it was a hand writen formula it may have been a V that was poorly writen to look like a U. Could you also provide the context or formula for which it was used. That may be of some assistance in finding the correct answer here.

[ 01-07-2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: William T. Parr ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: