Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film Tech goes to The Price Is Right? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Tech goes to The Price Is Right?
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-08-2004 01:54 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn if the Chat Room doesn't breed good ideas.

We really need to look into what it takes to get a group of us into The Price is Right. We can all get tickets, show up wearing some modified Film-Tech / CinemaTour shirts that pay hommage to Bob Barker. Have a crazy ass time!!!

We could get Joe into contestant's row so he can bet $1 every time. Brad can play Plinko. Thomas can be the over-enthusiastic college student that wins a washer and dryer and a dining room set and new carpeting.

Come on!!! Who's with me!?!!?!?

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-08-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh....ok. Very in-ter-est-ing. Has anyone ever told you that you are very odd? [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2004 03:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Plinko??? I wanna play that mountain climber game. The yodeling music rocks. [Cool]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2004 03:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I want to play Plinko! That's my favorite game.

Alternatively, can I be the guy who wins a car? Actually, I'd take a sailboat or an RV or anything else with resale value, too.

It's been a few years since I last saw the show, but I have a difficult time believing that it has changed much. It was always my favorite daytime show to watch whenever I was home from school when sick.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plinko is the ultimate ripoff! It always gets a giant round of applause while the announcer yells, "You're going to play PLINKO with the chance to win FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!" and the crowd goes wild. Then the contestant manages to win 4 or 5 plinko chips, then proceeds to climb the stairs and put 3 of them into the "zero" or $100 slots, and maybe one into the $1000, for a stupendous total of $1200 or something. I have never understood the wild enthusiasm for this game.

The one I think I could do well at is the "higher/lower" game but the prizes always suck in that one.

My favorite is the one where you have to guess the digits of the price in a car, a washer/dryer, or the "piggy bank." That game is super-suspenseful!

I hate the mountain climber game because of the cheesy music. The game itself is cool though.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-08-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell? No Scott, NO!!!!! This is not a thread that you are allowed to start. Only Matthew Bailey may start a thread like this.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plinko blows!
The record for this "$50,000" game is $23,000 - less than half the advertised potential...

-

(there was one $40,000 win on a special show with a $20,000 slot but that doesn't count)

And there have been several $0.00 prizes. Maybe somebody else has a running average of Plinko payoffs since the $10K slot went in?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-08-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My nephew who lives up in Simi Valley won a car on the Price is Right three years ago.

So I will lead East Coast contingent in rooting for the film-techer's to walk off with all the prizes and cash.

Maybe film-tech should challenge the 1570 Large Format on Family Feud. [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-08-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Matthew Bailey's definitely been scooped.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never really woudl believe a story like this, but a great aunt on my grandmothers side of the family.. or something like that... was on the show in 1963. Back then when you won you ret'd the next day.. and so on until you lost. Anyway, she's on the show for 3 dyas I think it was... some of the things I heard mention of her winning, gift certificates... 300 lbs of bananas, yes, 300 lbs of bananas and a 1964 Chevy II four door. She still drove this car as late as the '80's! It was tan and white....

I don't remember much about this lady (her name even escapes me) because I only saw her at Family reunion's twice a year. Speaking of famliy reunion, does anyone still have those?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of famliy reunion, does anyone still have those?
Yeah, My Parents and Brother visit the San Antonio zoo at least 3 times a year.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 11:53 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave -- Plinko wasn't always $50,000. It was $25,000 for a long time with a $5,000 spot in the middle. I think it changed to 50 somewhere in the late 90s.

I like the "Ten Chances" game where you have to write down the price on the pads of paper using a jumble of numbers they give you and Bob punches the button to see if you won. If not, it moves down to the next pad of paper. Some people get it in the first few tries, others blow all the chances before they even get to the car. "53 dollars? no. 58 dollars? no. 83? 85? 38?.... $35! Yay! You won the glass pitcher. Now on to the table and chairs, you still have 4 chances..." [Roll Eyes]

Anyone remember the "retired" games? One I recall was "Penny Ante" which never worked. Bob would hit a button and the pennies would go "bbrrrrrtttttt!" up the board and flip open a tag that said "YES" or "NO"... well, the tags never flipped open so Bob always had to look off stage to see if it was right and they'd ring a bell or something. I bet he's glad they got rid of that thing.

But yeah, We should go. If only to meet Bob Barker, because if you have Bob Barker, who needs Jesus Christ? [uhoh]

=TMP=

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-09-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-09-2004 05:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of famliy reunion, does anyone still have those?

Yeah, My Parents and Brother visit the San Antonio zoo at least 3 times a year.

Why, are they visiting you in your cage there?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-09-2004 09:20 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael! You're awful. [Razz]

Incidentally, Bob Barker has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time. Does anyone else think he grates? He was okay on "Truth or Consequences", and even for the first few years of "The Price is Right", but then he seemed to get burned out and was short-tempered with the contestants, which irked me. Maybe he's changed, I don't know. It's been several years since I've watched that show.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: