Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » US Jet bombs Yorkshire (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: US Jet bombs Yorkshire
Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that your George Bush didn't get a very good reception in the UK a few weeks ago but we didn't deserve this!!! I mean you could have hit Dick Vaughan at the National Museum of Film and Photography in Bradford ! Apparently a 15E Strike Eagle was on a training run from Lakenheath in Suffolk and the pilot dropped a 25lb practice bomb on Market Weighton. Perhaps he got bored and wanted tto liven things up! This happened at 5.15pm last thursday. See Yahoo news.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-12-2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you want people to think you've just gone crazy, you should probably post an article.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=437639§ion=news

quote:
U.S. jet accidentally bombs Yorkshire
Mon 12 January, 2004 16:25

LONDON (Reuters) - The United States Air Force says it is investigating how one of its fighter jets dropped an unarmed bomb on the Yorkshire countryside last week.

There were no injuries and only "limited property damage" in the incident which happened around 5:15 p.m. last Thursday, a USAF spokesman said.

The 25 lb practice bomb was dropped by a F-15E Strike Eagle on a routine training run from a base at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, eastern England.

The bomb landed in a "sparsely-populated area" near the town of Market Weighton in Yorkshire, the spokesman added.

"Trained and experienced base personnel including Ministry of Defence, and local constabulary authorities responded to the scene and an investigation team is determining the cause the incident," the spokesman said.

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Darryl I didn't know how to do pasting etc.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to apologize, but figuring out how to copy and paste would be a good idea.

Assuming you're using a PC: http://members.aol.com/jaynecg/private/copy.html

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-12-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Howard...Any relation to THE Howard Johnson?

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That method also works on da Mac, Daryl. Shows what you know.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-12-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was an easy war to win. Damn Yorkies and their pudding. [Razz]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 10:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never said it wouldn't work with a Mac.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 02:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you aim that big building in York city centre with lots of pointy bits sticking out of it next time please? I could make a bazillion turning that land into luxury flats and a multistory car park but there seems to be some religious cult or other squatting there...

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 03:37 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, do you mean the hotel & restaurant chain? I wish I was related!! Leo, how about that ugly building in Leeds I think that houses the social security or NHS?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 04:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...known as The Kremlin to the locals. I don't think that does the real Kremlin justice - it looks much prettier!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howard thanks for your concern.

Holme on Spalding Moor,incidentally the location of a WW2 RAF bomber base, is quite a way from Bradford.

Not even the 48th TFW can miss the target by that much!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens from time to time in the USA as well. What is more dangerous is parts falling off the aircraft (such as engine cowlings, doors, etc.) such as what happened a month or so ago in our area. Four panels (one as big as 6 feet in length) fell off one of our EA6-B's and landed in back yards, and other places as well.

I remember one incident years back where the Douglas Skywarrior (A3-B) aircraft was on a practice loft bombing mission. When the aircraft snapped up to loft the inert bomb, one of the J-57 jet engines detached itself from the aircraft. The bomb missed the target, but the engine scored a bull's-eye. [Eek!]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago a comercial aricraft dumped it sewage holding tank at a great hight and it of course froze in its desent landing though a roof a family dwelling landing in the living room as a several ton pile of froozen [bs]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-14-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, beware the "blue ice"! I'm not touching those "condensation nuclei". Nope, not gonna. Wouldn't be prudent...

Best blue ice incident I've seen was a few years ago in San Diego. A 727 had a slow leak in the forward lav service fitting. While in cruise, a large amount of blue ice formed aft of the fitting on the right side of the aircraft. When the jet began its descent into SAN the chunk eventually came off--and hit the intake of the #3 engine. The resulting imbalance caused the #3 engine to shear its mounts and leave the airplane. The crew figured they had just an in-flight engine failure--they didn't know they literally "lost an engine" until they landed and the tower told them. Search crews went out and found the engine in the desert about 80 miles east of SAN.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: