Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pioneer A06 Dual Layer DVD Burning Demonstrated (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pioneer A06 Dual Layer DVD Burning Demonstrated
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it was demonstrated at the CES. Only a firmware upgrade would be needed to burn dual layer discs. Not sure if a special DVD+R disc will be required (probably). I am amazed nobody has mentioned this yet! Personally I think this ability has been there the whole time, but held back on by manufacturers because of the studios. But now they need something to compete with Sony's Blue Ray announcement.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8861

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 08:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wouldn't surprise me one little bit - as it is the industry has an effective means of preventing quick and easy DVD duping simply by making them dual layer. As it is the only single-layer commercially pressed discs I've seen are either given away promos or obscure archive titles for which there wouldn't be any market for pirate copies.

Presumably Mr. Valenti won't be too keen for these firmware updates or blank media to see the light of day...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not surprising since the A06 has always been able to do more than it was capable of doing when it was shipped. For instance, it has always supported 2.4x +/-RW, you just needed an eeprom burned to make it happen.

I believe they're on something like the 23rd factory firmware on the A06.

Luckily there isn't a damn thing Uncle Jack can do about it Leo. Dual layer discs will back nightly system backups so much less painless.

Now if I only had some dual layer discs...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-13-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that firmware upgrade will transfer over to Pioneer's DVR-S606 external DVD-/+RW burner. That drive is essentially an A06 drive in external packaging. I haven't bought one yet, but am leaning in favor of that model instead of getting the 8X one sold by Plextor.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't doubt it. In all likelihood it's probably just an A06 in a box. Pioneer is almost as notorious as IBM for shipping the same piece of equipment as a dozen different products.

How close do the non-interface related specs match up?

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 11:49 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone get the A06 working on a Mac under Panther? Mine reads CDs and DVDs okay and will write CD-Rs, but I can't get it to write CD-RW's or DVD-R or DVD-RW. It copies all the files for the image, but the second I click on "BURN", I get "unknown error" and the file window disappears, even though the blanks are properly recognized when I put them in the drive.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-16-2004 12:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using Toast to do the buning? You should. There is no better software burner than Toast. And unlike the Finder it doesn't take forever and a day just to "copy" (for whatever reason is beyond me) before it burns.

I'd stay away from 10.3 "Panther" altogether. I have it at work and while I enjoy the exposé stuff, the networking is horrible and it just seems unfinished to me.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 01:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I can burn DVDs & CDs in the lamphouse, but I really fail to see the point.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-16-2004 05:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Especially when it's so much more fun to burn them in a microwave oven.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I caved in yesterday an bought an internal ATAPI model of the Pioneer DVR-A06U DVD+/-RW drive at Best Buy in Norman, OK. They were asking $139 for the drive (price after a $30 rebate). That price seemed quite a bit more attractive than the roughly $300 cost of the latest external models from Plextor and Pioneer.

But I have a bit of a choice to make on how I should install this drive. My home PC has a DVD-ROM drive in the first bay and a Teac CD-RW drive in the second bay. Which drive is better to swap out, the CD-RW drive or DVD-ROM? My main concern is avoiding any possible system conflicts.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
$139!!! Wow, suddenly I feel I got screwed for paying almost $400 for the A05. [Frown]

Does it really matter which drive you pull? I've had my Plextor cd burner (magnificent drive, by the way) installed alongside the A05 with no issues. I have also had the A05 installed alongside a TDK cd burner with no issues. Furthermore, I have had the A05 installed along a generic dvd-rom drive with no issues.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 05:04 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd stay away from 10.3 "Panther" altogether.
Too late. I wish I did stay away from it, even though I love Expose also. My Mac operated perfectly under 10.2.x (Jaguar). The upgrade to Panther was a disaster. This is the first time I've ever had a single problem upgrading a Mac OS. Every other single upgrade worked flawlessly.

After a bunch of "install and archives", I've got the machine fairly stable again, except that now I-Chat AV doesn't work. After always failing to sign-on the first time, it works the second, but takes out Keychain and anything relating to accounts until I restart. Plus I've got those problems using the finder to copy to the A-06, except for CD-R, which works fine.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have the A05 or A06 DVD burners, what do you think of the software that comes bundled with it? My drive came with Nero Express and Ulead DVD Movie Factory (which is just a bunch of SE versions of their stuff.

I had a couple little hurdles when installing the drive. The jumper was set by default to "master" so I had to change it to the "cable select" setting so it wouldn't fight with my DVD-ROM drive. And then I had to uninstall Adaptec EZ-CD Creator 4 and their version of DirectCD before I could install any of the Nero/Ulead stuff.

To get to the point, will I be wasting my time trying to make use of those bundled apps? What advantages do Nero6 or Roxio EZ CD/DVD Creator 6 have?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-19-2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what you want to do with it, the bundled version of Nero is just fine. I've used it for backing up files and burning a few DVD images created by the bundled ULead software.

By the way, IMHO, Cable Select is the root of all evil.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about picking up the Pioneer 106, the OEM version of the A06. If I had the software already, would I be better off just getting the OEM version?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: