Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak to stop selling film cameras in Europe and North America (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kodak to stop selling film cameras in Europe and North America
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3394183.stm

Kodak embraces digital revolution

quote:
Kodak's cheap cameras helped popularise photography
Photography giant Eastman Kodak has announced plans to stop selling traditional film cameras in North America and Europe.
The firm said it would concentrate instead on digital models.

The move marks a milestone in the history of Kodak, which brought photography to the masses through a cheap, easy-to-use film cameras.

It reflects a recent surge in demand for filmless digital cameras, which now outsell traditional models.

Industry figures show that 12.5 million digital cameras were sold in the US last year, compared with 12.1 million film cameras.

Kodak said it would continue selling its range of popular disposable cameras, as well as film and other accessories in North America and Europe.

Changing times

It will also continue to sell traditional cameras in Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe.

The decision is in line with the firm's strategy of moving away from traditional products in favour of high-growth digital technologies.

Bernard Mason, the head of Kodak's digital and film imaging division, said the firm remained "committed to manufacturing and marketing the world's highest quality film."

"We will focus our film investments on opportunities that provide faster and attractive returns, while reducing investments were we see unsatisfactory returns."

Last year, Kodak controversially slashed its payout to shareholders in an effort to raise $3bn needed to expand its presence in the market for digital cameras and imaging technologies.

The change in strategy prompted warnings from analysts that the company may struggle to catch up with rivals such as Canon, Dell and Hewlett Packard, which made the switch to digital products sooner.

But Wall Street investors welcomed the latest news, market Kodak shares 1.3% higher at $26.70 in mid-morning trade in New York on Tuesday.

The BBC are doing a live link from the Kodak Museum here in our building about this as I type.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-22-2004 06:10 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3419211.stm

quote:
Kodak cuts 15,000 jobs worldwide

Kodak put the job cuts down to "market realities"
Photography giant Eastman Kodak is to slash up to 15,000 jobs worldwide over the next three years.
The news comes after the US firm announced a sharp fall in profits for the last three months of 2003.

Kodak said the job cuts - which represent around 20% of its global workforce - would save the company up to $1bn (£546m) a year by 2007.

The firm said last week that it would stop selling traditional film cameras in the US, Canada and Western Europe.

It plans to cut product lines with declining appeal in favour of fast-growing digital products.

'Absolutely required'

The latest staff cuts come on top of 6,000 job losses announced by the firm last year.

Kodak said it would also take $1.3bn to $1.7bn in charges over the next three years, as it moves to reposition itself to keep pace with the development of digital products.

Antonio Perez, the company's president and chief operating officer, said the job cuts were "absolutely required for Kodak to succeed in traditional markets as well as the digital markets to which our businesses are rapidly shifting".

The cuts were "the consequence of market realities" and would help fund future growth, he said.

New York-based Kodak reported fourth quarter net profits of $19m, compared with $113m for the same period in 2002.

However, the firm said sales in the quarter totalled $3.78bn, up 10% from a year ago.

Separately, Kodak said it would launch a $35m offer to buy the remaining shares of Japanese digital camera supplier Chinon Industries which it does not already own.

Kodak said the move would enable it to increase its global design and manufacturing capability for consumer digital cameras and accessories.

Hope you're not one of the one-in-five John! [Eek!]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-22-2004 08:09 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still here! [Smile]

Actually, Kodak's Entertainment Imaging (Motion Picture division) has been doing very well, with record FILM sales last year, and a fast-growing DIGITAL, HYBRID, and SERVICES business (e.g., CineSite, FPC, ProTek, Kodak Digital Cinema, Laser Pacific). Most of the motion-picture film is made in Rochester, with some also being made in Windsor, Colorado, and Chalon-sur-Saone, France. Additional new VISION2 films are being developed, with several new films being announced soon.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/ei/eiToday.shtml?id=0.1.4.3&lc=en

Here are some links to information about today's announcement:

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/US/en/corp/pressCenter/headlines.cgi

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pressReleases/pr20040122-02.shtml

quote:
"Make no mistake we remain committed to film and printed output, which are, and will continue to be, great businesses," Carp said. "We will continue to invest appropriately in these media for consumers, cinematographers, professional photographers, the health-care industry and others. We will enter new markets with film and other media, and introduce new products consistent with market demand. We will be the industry's most competitive participant in traditional products and services."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Job cuts are the BEST way to solve problems! I can't think of a better way! Certainly there is nothing wrong with management and other higher-ups. I hope Kodak can contribute to unemployment as much as possible. Kodak said they have had a "sharp fall in profits". Are they still making a profit, then? If so, the job cuts seem unnecessary.

With so many job cuts it gets difficult to even find work for all those people.

Seriously though, I tend to lose a lot of respect for companies who do massive job cuts. It shows they can't manage themselves very well.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-22-2004 09:20 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the better alternative?

I don't see the problem; it would appear that these particular jobs were casualties of progress and not poor management. The average consumer isn't interested in buying film cameras anymore. It's a fair bet that consumer film sales aren't what they used to be either.

A friend of mine used to own a CD store until MP3's came along. He had to close down, putting himself and his entire staff out of a job.

Poor management or facts of life?

[ 01-22-2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Manny Knowles ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-22-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a letter to our customers from Eric Rodli, the President of Kodak Entertainment Imaging (Motion Picture division):

quote:
January 22, 2004

Dear Kodak motion picture customer:

This week you may have heard some updates on Kodak's new business strategy, as well as plans to lower our cost structure.

The structural changes announced are not a reaction to temporary earnings or business pressures. In the consumer world, the digital reality is now, and Kodak has no choice but to adapt to the digital model, which is characterized by faster growth, tighter profit margins, aggressive pricing and swift product turnover.

Please do not interpret this as Kodak 'abandoning' film.

Refocusing our R&D investments applies primarily to our consumer and medical imaging businesses, where the demand for digital imaging products and services is growing rapidly. Reducing costs in these areas also allows for Entertainment Imaging to continue its efforts to deliver the best film products - and best value possible to our motion picture customers.

Entertainment is still a film business, and film will remain an important part of the imaging chain into the foreseeable future. The success of our VISION2 product proves motion picture film's continued viability in the marketplace, and justifies future investment in silver halide. Nothing approaches film for its quality, resolution, dynamic range, flexibility and archivability.

At the same time, EI is expanding its digital participation, and we are making selective and strategically important investments to do that. One such investment is the acquisition of postproduction company Laser Pacific. This broadens our participation in the TV post arena, and brings exciting new digital/hybrid competencies to Kodak.

We believe that, in our industry, digital solutions make the most sense in the post production arena…so that's where you'll see the majority of our digital participation in the short term. And this includes our silver halide investments, which are incorporating a full systems approach for more flexibility in post.

We're working hard to supply you with the technology for what we foresee as a film/digital hybrid world. As such, within Entertainment Imaging, Kodak’s commitment to and investment in film continues. In fact, we continue to dedicate over 70% of our motion picture R&D budget to film technology. Additional announcements later in the year will attest to that fact.

Know that we remain passionate about film building. We are committed to all our customers in the creative community and to developing a full range of tools and services to help bring your vision to the screen, more faithfully, efficiently, and at the highest levels of quality.

Sincerely,

Eric Rodli

Eric Rodli,
President Entertainment Imaging
Senior Vice President Eastman Kodak

About Kodak Entertainment Imaging

Eric Rodli Biography

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-22-2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that, John. It's good to hear that you're still employed and that Kodak is committed to motion-picture film for the forseeable future.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-22-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Wall Street Journal also carried a front page article that included most of the above.

It probably makes sense. I know my kids wouldn't know what to do with a film camera if I gave them one... and the odds that any pictures they might take would actuallly get printed are probably not the best.

Pretty much like 16mm in the classroom and cassettes in teen backpacks.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-22-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with a company cutting jobs because revenues have collapsed, as is the case with consumers buying and processing film for 35mm still cameras.

The thing that pisses me off to no end is the current fashion of "outsourcing", all thanks to pressure from the greediest of gamblers on Wall Street. Companies that aren't hurting at all simply cash in on cheap labor overseas. The executives and shareholders see a nice short term profit. Those who are promoting outsourcing (it really should be called selling-out-sourcing) rationalize their actions with statements like "outsourcing hasn't been done enough to cause any real significant damage to the economy yet," Yeah, that's just like an addicted smoker who says he still feels healthy after 20 years of doing it. Next thing you know, he gets cancer and dies. I also like the other lie the outsourcers sell, "all the hi-tech jobs lost here in America will be recovered with more service jobs." Basically, the asshole says "the unemployed systems analyst can look forward to a career as a waitor or casier." F**king traitors.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-23-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please do not interpret this as Kodak 'abandoning' film.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
[Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 08:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be so cynical.

Mr. Rodli is sincere in his belief that corporate Kodak will continue to invest in and support its strong and growing motion picture FILM business. You don't put over 70% of your R&D into FILM related projects if you think the market is declining.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 09:09 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
".....Kodak (nyse: EK - news - people ) will cut 20% of its jobs over the next three years and reduce its total facility square footage by one third, all in an effort to reap annual savings of $800 million to $1 billion by 2007....."

http://www.forbes.com/2004/01/22/cx_pp_ii_0122kodakcuts.html

Gee I hope none of the diversity programs get cut

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 09:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg Mueller wrote:

quote:
Gee I hope none of the diversity programs get cut

Cynic! [Mad]

Guess what? The vast majority of the people in the world who buy consumer FILM are NOT White Anglo-Saxon Protestants!

A WOMAN leads Kodak's VERY SUCCESSFUL motion picture film development programs, with many women and other minorities serving on the development teams. A WOMAN (Annabel Muenter) invented a key technology that helps make VISION2 Color Negative film so low in grain:

Kodak Two-Electron Sensitization

Many other examples: A person from China helped eliminate "static cling" on polyester print film, a person from India developed Kodak's "Molecular Sieves" to slow vinegar syndrome, another Nobel-prize winning chemist from India leads the group that develops many of the dyes used in film, an Iranian immigrant is developing key technology for Digital Cinema...etc.

IMHO, Kodak's diversity has helped meet the challenges in this world-wide multi-cultural market. [thumbsup]

Bigotry leads nowhere. [thumbsdown]

Find something else to HATE or to blame your problems on. I'm sure you have quite a list.

Elena N. Solovyova
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 09:52 AM      Profile for Elena N. Solovyova   Email Elena N. Solovyova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be horribly wrong, but I had the impression that cheap Kodak P&S photo cameras were always along the worst China-produced photo equipment. I've never seen any decent (SLR) camera from Kodak. It it some sort of company policy or market share agreement?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak did not specialize in the high-end SLR camera market. I own several Minoltas.

I've always had good experience with Kodak "point-and-shoot" cameras, which were good quality for the price. My daughter has been using an early Kodak Advantix camera for many years. And I'm constantly amazed at the quality you can get using a Kodak "Single Use Camera" now often selling for less than $5 US.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: