Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Worst Places to Drive. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Worst Places to Drive.
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-18-2004 10:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the topic has been swaying in Brad: Where is Rockwell - I'm starting a new thread to continue the conversation.

Where are the worst places to drive in the US?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-18-2004 10:49 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago, hands down. Even L.A. isn't as bad. And NYC seems like a breeze, by comparison.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atlanta during rush hour. Everyday!

In a related vein:

Asheville NC is getting ready to rebuild the I-26 connector through the city. This is going to be a nightmare.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,

Agreed. Rush hour traffic in Atlanta sucks much [Moon] . Normal traffic is hectic enough but when you're in standstill traffic on a 6 lane Interstate... there *is* a problem.

DC traffic is pretty nightmarish also, especially around the 'Drive at Five' time! Baltimore can be bad at times. I have always tried to plan my trips so that I will avoid both aformentioned cities during peak 'drive times'.

Richmond Va was bad until they built the 295 loop. Even now, one can be caught up in standstill traffic south of the 295 loop when going north.

Florida traffic is increasingly bad also. All the Q-tips on the road in their Buick Roadmasters with 5% Limo tint creeping along in the right lane at 40mph creates major ROAD RAGE. If you really have a need to go that damn slow.. ride a freeking donkey.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-18-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seattle's no joyride anymore

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-18-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I drove in Atlanta once and I don't particularly care to try it again. [Big Grin]

Ohio is pretty interesting as well, at least along the I-75 corridor because you get all the idiots from Michigan and Ontario doing 150 mph to get back and forth from their winter homes in Florida.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I openly admit that I'm a wimp about hectic city driving! [Razz]
In Beantown, I go on foot, on the T, or let someone else drive!

Long before I had my license, I was in a car with my mom & my grandmother, going through Hartford, CT. [Eek!] It was practically bumper to bumper traffic, travelling at 70mph. Very scary. I was glad that my grandmother was not behind the wheel!

One place, and set of conditions that make for awful driving:
Lewiston, Maine - in freezing rain, when the ground is already all iced up!
It's an old mill town, and many of the roads are on steep hills. It takes a lot of nerve to safely traverse that town in nasty winter driving conditions.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-18-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So Rachel, how is Menitowoc?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
New York City seems like a breeze by comparison.
NYC is a breeze because you have lots of alternatives to driving. You have the MTA subway system, Metro North, the Long Island Railroad, New Jersey Transit and connections to other commuter rail systems going into Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc. There's lots of bus systems too. When you factor in the price of bridge tolls, parking garages in Manhattan and just how cumbersome it is to drive in the antiquated NYC road network, it just makes more sense to take mass transit. There's lots of people in the NYC area who have lived out there lives without ever having to have owned a car.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Houston yet for bad places to drive. I have driven in most of the populous areas of the nation and haven't seen traffic anywhere near as bad as it gets in Houston. It really is horrible there.

To the credit of TxDOT, they have been making strides in recent years to add capacity to the roadways (elevated HOV lanes on I-45, a gigantic upgrade to the I-10 Katy Frwy in progress, etc.) but it still just doesn't seem to be enough.

The Dallas-Fort Worth metro has lots more people than metro Houston (and the traffic jams can get really bad at times) but cars move through that area with more efficiency because the area has had a much better freeway network for decades. Cities like Houston and Austin have been playing a very expensive game of catch-up lately.

Other cities worth mentioning:
Phoenix - horrible traffic problems and still not enough being done to upgrade road systems.

New Orleans - great place to see wreckless drivers do a fast four-lane wide lane change to make some hard to reach exit. Be very careful when driving anywhere near the Superdome.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-18-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NYC is a breeze because you have lots of alternatives to driving.
I drive through every day in a big truck. The size of the roads and their numbers, per the number of cars on them, is still comparable or greater than L.A. or Chicago (those cities have mass transit, too). It's the largest metro area in the country.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L.A. and Chicago do have mass transit. But the "L" in Chicago doesn't reach all that far into the suburbs. And L.A.'s light rail system is a very recent development with not much coverage for the area. New York has had subways and commuter rail systems for over a century now.

On top of that, the New York area is probably the first place in the nation to feature HOV lanes on superhighways. The New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway, I-78 in New Jersey all have seprate local and express/HOV lane systems. If memory serves correctly, I think I-80 does as well. That at least provides some balance to the much older and smaller roads seen elsewhere in the New York area. Other cities like L.A. have added HOV lanes to freeways only in the last decade or two.

Another big difference is commuter culture. People in New York don't find it beneath themselves to "park and ride." Most people in Chicago and L.A. still insist on driving and quite honestly look down their noses at others who take mass transit.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-18-2004 02:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interstate 5 between Everett and Tacoma. It is one huge parking lot.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um.... hmmm.... BOSTON? Its a little better now that they opened the new tunnells but the old central artery really really really sucked.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
Chicago is kids stuff and not nearly as bad as even Detroit is I've been in every state in the country with the exception of the two detached sattes and without a doubt Utah is by far the worst, anyplace in Utah for that matter. People visiting from L.A., Boston, Chicago and New York are in for a big wake up. If we doubled the number of Highway Troopers out here it would barely put a dent in things.

In the above cities I've concluded that....

In Chicago they either drive really fast but with great precision, or they drive painstakingly slow...there is nothing in between....

In Boston they try to fake you out but they really are not out to cut you off.......

In New York City they just blow their horns alot.... BTW: The cabbies actually control all traffic flow in NYC!

In L.A. they just like to drive their Mazarottys really fast even though traffic is going really slow all of the time..... Occasionally those folk that can't go fast get pissed off when they can't go fast, they then get out of their car and beat other cars windshields with their golf clubs......

In Utah EVERYONE is out to be first in the lead and get where they are going before everyone else gets there ...even if there is no one else going there.....

Brad,
In Manitowoc everyone is flat out drunk ya know hey! That see, should pretty much explain the entire state of WI, for that matter....BURP....another pitcher of [beer] please bartender.

MArk @ CLACO

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst place to drive in the US is anywhere I happen to be, simply because I am there. The biggest losers, morons, and retarded people all get in their vehicles and get around me and drive as sssllllooooooowwwwwwllllyyyy as they possibly can and get in huge accidents just to piss me off and for no other reason whatsoever.

People need to learn that I have priority on the road, and they should not be out driving when I am, period.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: