Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 3-D Film Festival Suffern, New York

Author Topic: 3-D Film Festival Suffern, New York
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-19-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cinematreasures.org/news/11139_0_1_0_C/

3-D Film Festival Comes to the Lafayette Theatre!
posted by PeterApruzzese on December 17, 2003 at 9:06am
SUFFERN, NY — We are proud to announce the 3 DAYS OF 3-D Film Festival at the historic Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, New York, on February 27-28-29, 2004.

3 DAYS OF 3-D will present 10 of the best classic films made during the 1950s in the miracle of Third Dimension, including KISS ME KATE, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, DIAL “M” FOR MURDER, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, GORILLA AT LARGE, INFERNO, MISS SADIE THOMPSON, ROBOT MONSTER, GUN FURY and HOUSE OF WAX.

You’ll see big stars such as Rita Hayworth, Vincent Price, Grace Kelly, Rhonda Fleming, Rock Hudson, Howard Keel, Donna Reed, Kathryn Grayson, and Raymond Burr all so close that you’ll feel you can reach out and touch them! Also on each program will be a selection of ultra-rare 3-D short subjects, including ones with Bugs Bunny, The Three Stooges, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and many more. All films will be presented in authentic dual-projector, synchronized 3-D with polarized glasses (not red & blue anaglyph)!

The Lafayette Theatre is a vintage, fully-renovated 1000-seat 1924 movie palace and was one of the first theatres in Rockland County equipped to show 3-D films in mid-1953, but hasn’t shown a 3-D film since October of that year. All of these films will be presented in genuine, double-system 3-D - the best method of all - using special Polarized viewing glasses and two projectors running with interlock synchronization.

Important note: We will not be showing any 3-D films in the inferior anaglyph system (red & blue glasses) that you might be familiar with from Spy Kids 3-D. The polarized method of 3-D presentation assures you of bright and clear images with no color distortion! We are proud to be the only movie palace on the East Coast to bring a full weekend of dimensional entertainment to you.

Advance money-saving multi-show tickets are available NOW on the website: Friday Night Passes are $15, Saturday and Sunday All-Day Passes are $30 each. The Full Festival pass is $65. Advance passes also give you priority seating for each show before the general public! Individual tickets are priced at $8.00 for each show and will be available at the Lafayette Theatre Box Office and on the internet (after January 1).

Go to the website for complete details: http://www.bigscreenclassics.com/3days3d.htm

The 3 DAYS OF 3-D Film Festival is a co-production of Nelson Page’s Galaxy Theatre Corporation, the Big Screen Classics film series and Peter Apruzzese, with special consultation by 3-D historian Bob Furmanek.

Peter Apruzzese
Director of Film Programming
Big Screen Classics

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 07:52 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are pictures of the theatre (no booth shots) at the theatres web site:

Layfayette Theatre

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 12:51 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is/was Nelson Page with the Galaxy theatre chain?

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love to see that show.

I would imagine the organ will be played? By Dave Kopp? Dave and his brother, Rusty King, Roy Frenzke, and others restored that gorgeous WurliTzer. I have the CD of the Christmas music they did there. (We play it during the holidays at our theatre as entrance music. The people love it!)

Pete Apruzzese
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Pete Apruzzese   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Apruzzese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I'm the Film Programmer for this series (as well as the regular Big Screen Classics season - the next one begins on March 13th!). If there are any questions, feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

quote:
I would imagine the organ will be played? By Dave Kopp? Dave and his brother, Rusty King, Roy Frenzke, and others restored that gorgeous WurliTzer. I have the CD of the Christmas music they did there. (We play it during the holidays at our theatre as entrance music. The people love it!)
Yes, the Mighty WurliTzer will be played before *every* show during the 3 DAYS OF 3-D festival. I don't know who will be playing at each show, but I'm sure all of them will be great.

quote:
Is/was Nelson Page with the Galaxy theatre chain?
Yes, the Lafayette is part of the Galaxy circuit and Nelson is directly involved with this event.

Also, to update Bob's original post, tickets for individual shows are now also available via the website: 3 DAYS OF 3-D website

Hope to see all of you there!

Pete Apruzzese
Director of Film Programming
Big Screen Classics - "3 Days of 3-D"

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 07:31 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up to the top, as the festival is this coming weekend.

This is your chance to see duel projection polarized 3D on a large screen in a big theatre, the way is was designed to be seen.

/Mitchell

Pete Apruzzese
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Pete Apruzzese   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Apruzzese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody from Film-Tech go to the event - what did you think? I know Bob Maar was there, even though I didn't get a chance to meet him.

Pete Apruzzese

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-03-2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-03-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, My computer is down so I have been using a computer cafe here in the city.

I thought the program that you booked was great. The 3-D effect on the screen at the Lafayette Theatre was magnificent. I really loved some of the shorts that you booked to go with the features, they were fabulous. I especially liked the one done by the Canada Film Board presented on the second show Saturday evening.

I also enjoyed the opening speeches by Nelson and Bob before each presentation. I hope you will continue your special programing in the future.

Nelson has done a terrific job restoring this theatre to it's original brilliance on the theatre's your 80th Anniversary.

You are all to be congratulated.

I am looking forward to you special Saturday Matinees later this spring. I will be attending with my wife and grand children. I look forward to meeting you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: