Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dumb Newscasters... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dumb Newscasters...
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-21-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday morning I was watching the local Fox 13 morning show as they were discussing how difficult it has been for chinese officials to edit out sex talk of Friends episodes for broadcast in China...

As they came back from the videotaped story, the male newscaster says to the female newscaster the following...

"You know I bet the Chinese see us the same way that we see them in Godzilla movies".

She gave him this bewildered look and just went on with the next story.

GODZILLA IS NOT CHINESE YOU MORON!!!

Asian people must look all alike to this redneck idiot.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GODZILLA IS NOT CHINESE YOU MORON!!!
Duh! He is obviously a dinosaur of some kind.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-22-2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was Kinaidean?!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was a lizard that happend to be a nuclear test site and was mutated. I didn't know he was a dinosaur.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-22-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty funny, but what did you expect from a Fox station? [Smile]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-22-2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the term the British give their newscasters: "News Reader".

Yes, I understand that in British circles the term connotes a certain level of intelligence that allows one to read and comment on the news in a clear and concice manner but I'm going for the idea that means the person simply reads what has been handed to him.

I don't know about other contries but, in America, the news media is certainly going in that direction. On-Air personalities are becoming less able to digest and understand the information they are reading. They are becoming nothing more than a bunch of "Talking Heads".

Furthermore, in Japan, Godzilla (Pronnounced in Japanese: "Go-Jee-Rah") movies fall into a genre of fiction where the simplistic and even silly actions/mannerisms of the characters are part of the screenplay. It is expected that characters will act in a certain way. It's a kind of satire on modern culture, a lot like the way characters behave in American "Slasher" flicks... The scantily clad young girl goes down to the basement to her certain death while the audience screams (to themselves), "Don't go down the stairs!"

Thus, I'm saying, that Japanese (or Chinese) people see themselves in Godzilla movies (or Kung-Fu movies) in as silly a light as we do. They just understand the cultural underpinnings of them in a way we don't. People in other cultures might not understand the moral undertones in Slasher Flicks (only immoral characters get "offed") as we do but I can certainly imagine that there are some Japanese (Chinese) people watching Halloween, et. al. and inwardly screaming to themselves, "Don't go down the stairs!"

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been a fan of news programs, especially TV networks. The beautiful talking heads are far more important than the news they read, if you can call 10-to-20 seconds of soundbyte "news." Far more important to have Dirk Squarejaw and his gorgeous sidekick ALMOST tell you the news of the day.

Equally sad are the required jolly comic-relief weather guys/gals, who show us the lighter side of a typhoon in the Far East that killed hundreds. "Gee Jim, sure glad we weren't over there, huh?" Yuk yuk yuk.

Bias and all, I'd still rather read the paper every day. At least you can read a few more words that what they fire off at you in the time the newscasts use between commercials.

"A comet is about to impact the Earth! We'll be right back with an update after we hear from our sponsors..."

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox has the best news babes. Ooooh, Laurie Dhue, Dari Alexander, E.D. Hill... hubba, hubba!
[Cool]

Webster Colcord
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 08:30 PM      Profile for Webster Colcord   Author's Homepage   Email Webster Colcord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a lot of the talking heads on broadcast news are just failed or wannabe actors.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 01:42 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.nakednews.com

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that godzilla was a giant iguana.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Godzilla, c'mon. Everybody knows that was Raymond Burr.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-23-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Furthermore, in Japan, Godzilla (Pronnounced in Japanese: "Go-Jee-Rah")
Why do the Japanese always get the L's and the R's pronunciations switched? There is no excuse for this. It makes me angry. If they don't shape up quick, I will stop spending all of my money on their superiorly designed and manufactured products and put my money into inferior American products!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-23-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the Japanese R is very close to L and D. It is not a rolled R as in Spanish, but a single quick attack of the tongue in the same place where the tongue tips for L.
In fact, you will hear that at the beginning of words, many Japanese actually say L instead of R. So the "Rahmen" noodles sound more like "Lahmen".
If you want to practice the Japanese R, say and repeat "Eddie" very quickly until the D becomes so short that it comes out as R. But only with a single attack, not "Errrie".

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my professors worked at a news station and I got to help out. What's funny is that it actually says, "Hello. My name is [reporters name] and this is actionwitness news live..." According to a grip, if it's not on there, they really do forget to say it. The worst is when they try to ad-lib or fill extra time. It never works.

Oh, and their faces really do stay that way once they get off camera. [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: