Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Captain Kangaroo", Bob Keeshan has died.

Author Topic: "Captain Kangaroo", Bob Keeshan has died.
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-23-2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Keeshan, star of the kids TV show "Captain Kangaroo", died today at age 76. He also played Clarabell the Clown on the "Howdy Doody" show for six years.

From Fox NEWS:
quote:
Keeshan died of a long illness, his family said in a statement.

Keeshan's "Captain Kangaroo" premiered on CBS in 1955 and ran for 30 years before moving to public television for six more. It was wildly popular among children and won six Emmy Awards, three Gabriels and three Peabody Awards.

The format was simple: Each day, Captain Kangaroo, with his sugar-bowl haircut and uniform coat, would wander through his Treasure House, chatting with his good friend Mr. Green Jeans, played by Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum.

He would visit with puppet animals, like Bunny Rabbit, who was scolded for eating too many carrots, and Mr. Moose, who loved to tell knock-knock jokes.

But the show revolved about the grandfatherly Captain Kangaroo, whose name was inspired by the kangaroo pouch-like pockets of the coat Keeshan wore.

"I was impressed with the potential positive relationship between grandparents and grandchildren, so I chose an elderly character," Keeshan said.

Keeshan, born in Lynbrook, N.Y., became a page at NBC while he was in high school. He joined the Marine Corps in 1945.

His first television appearance came in 1948, when he played the voiceless, horn-honking Clarabell the Clown on the "Howdy Doody Show," a role he created and played for five years.

Later he played Corny the Clown, the host of a noontime cartoon program in New York City.

"Captain Kangaroo" debuted on Oct. 3, 1955, and Keeshan remained in that role until 1993.

Keeshan, who moved to Vermont in 1990, remained active as a children's advocate, writing books, lecturing and lobbying on behalf of children's issues.

He was critical of today's TV programs for children, saying they were too full of violence. And he spoke wherever he went about the importance of good parenting.

"Parents are the ultimate role models for children," he said. "Every word, movement and action has an effect. No other person or outside force has a greater influence on a child than the parent."

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 1950's childhood fix of Tom Teriffic, Mr. Bunny's pin pong balls raining down and Mr. Moose bad jokes will be missed. My keychain is "kangaroo" size ( big ), which I hang up at home and work.I remember a "prediction" show in the late 1950's when everybody was going to be outfitted with a body mounted rocket pak to get around town by 1976....oh well fantasy of all types can be fun [dlp]

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I used to plead and plead with my Mother to buy the carrots with the greens still attached just like Mr. Greenjeans brought in the show.

(Of course with my failing memory - I assume Mr. Greenjeans was on the Capt. Kangaroo show and it's not just a memory glitch...)

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matty boy your noggin is still working [Big Grin]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like many others, I grew up in the late fifties watching the Captain. Many years later when I began working at CBS, that was the first show I was assigned to. How strange and bizarre it was to walk onto Stage 45 and see Gradfather Clock, Mister Moose, Dancing Bear and Bunny Rabbit, all the characters I had grown up with, up close and personal. The Captain himself was a nice guy, but he could be quite a taskmaster. . .he definitely knew how he wanted things on his show. I was only on the show a short time before being reassigned, and on my last day the stagehands let me up in the catwalk to dump the ping-pong balls. Cool!

Sad to see the guy go, he was a true icon and a mandarin of children's TV. Sadder to see how few people working here today even remember the man or the show. Gettin' old!

[ 01-23-2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Mark Ogden ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-23-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
on my last day the stagehands let me up in the catwalk to dump the ping-pong balls.
Mark, that has got to be the coolest thing anyone here can lay claim to! Was it just my exaggerated childhood perception, or did the number of ping-pong balls diminish as the years went by? When I was a kid, it looked like thousands - and they just kept coming - but in later years, it seemed like only 100 or so. (I can't imagine picking them all back up again.)

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-23-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid my mom would not let me watch anything but mr. rodgers, sesame street, and captain kangaroo. She would never let me watch anything else. Didn't want me to warp my cute little brain.

The captain was a true entertainer, and understood the business well. He was flawless in his presentation. A real showman.

Ciao to the master of kids television.

Then of course there was my little vice I couldn't do without. Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeiser (sic). At the age of four I was kind of drawn to that stuff.

Dave

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 04:12 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim:

There wasn't a fixed amount of ping-pong balls (unless 'a shitload' is a fixed amount), but there were several large boxes. Every so often they would have to top the boxes off to replace the ones that couldn't be found. What happened is that there were so many balls it became too time consuming to pick them up and get them up into the grid again, especially if the scene had to be reshot, so they cut back on the amount. I know that for years after the show folded, every once in awhile you would still find some in the corners of the stage. The guy who was in charge of dumping them was Lenny Mancini, who is now lighting director of Sunday Morning and The NFL Today.

My personal hero, though, is the guy who played Mister Baxter the school teacher. That was Jimmy Wall, who is still working here as stage manager of 60 Minutes. He just turned 86 a few weeks back and is still in terrific shape. A truer gentleman you cannot hope to meet.

[ 01-24-2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Mark Ogden ]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 06:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All those old Howdy Doody shows I watched and never realized it was Bob Keeshan squirting seltzer water at Buffalo Bob! [Wink]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be sent off to school each morning after about 1/2-hour of the Treasure House. A very calm, relaxing way to start a day. Great moments include the legendary BANANA MAN act (anyone remember this guy?) and the day the bird finally talked. Anytime they had a talking bird on the show, it would never talk. One time, it did. The Captain and Mr. Greenjeans look of joy and amazement was a priceless moment.

Bunny Rabbit rules!!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Captain Kangaroo" was on in most markets opposite the apparently franchised & locally-produced "Romper Room". Captain Kangaroo was like the intellectual kids' show; Romper Room was just the dumbest & most frightening authoritarian-regime over braindead victims freakshow imaginable.

I remember the big deal when they revised the set & moved from the 'old treasure house' to the 'new treasure house'. Losing the 'hands jingling keys & sticking out all the little panel doors' was quite a downgrade.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: