Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » John Harvey

Author Topic: John Harvey
John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 10:58 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly found on ebay today:

CINERAMA 1969 projector lens Model F3.70

This is an item from John Harvey’s personal collection of movie memorabilia that is being sold as John has several strokes and is now recovering. These items are being sold per John’s request to help pay medical bills. Even his home, the famed Cinerama home theater will soon go up for sale…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2980628810&category=4791

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 01:40 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really sad. I sent an email to Larry Smith asking if he'd consider taking up a collection so that John wouldn't have to sell off his Cinerama gear. I haven't heard back from Larry yet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I am saddened to hear about John. I always thought he was in good health. Without John's efforts none of us would have had the thrill of seeing 3 strip Cinerama again. We all owe him alot and I'd gladly donate to fund to help him out. Nothing is worse than medical bills piling up!!

Mark @ CLACO

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 07:24 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some more information on John's condition:

"John was just moved from the hospital to a nursing facility Tues and continues his recovery. He has a good appetite and is undergoing physical thereapy." (sent to me 1/23/04)

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry responded to me and explained the situation more clearly. Seems that while still serious it may not be as dire as I originally was led to believe:

"Hi Sean,
John is very aware of both his debts and his large collection of equipment. He has several tons of parts and equipment that will be sold off to pay off bills. As for selling the Cinerama house, it is an extra home that is used now only for storage. John and his family live in another house about a mile away. I am selling the smaller, easier to ship items on eBay to help him out. The bottom line is it's easier to pay debts by liquidation of property he no longer needs than by other means. Thanks for your concern, but he is in good spirits and he's getting good care. Hopefully the buyers of these items will help spread the story of Cinerama and the man who started the revival in his basement. "

Right now, Larry has nearly 2 pages of various film equipment and collectables. You can view them by clicking on one of his auctions (posted at the start of this thread) then clicking view sellers other auctions

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sorry to hear about John. I pray that he can fully recover soon. He and Larry helped me get my equipment back running when we first purchased our theatre.

My wife and I also had the pleasure and priviledge of seeing "How The West Was Won" in John's Cinerama house-theatre.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the great honor of working with John in my early years in the business. He taught me a lot when he worked as a technician for Mid States Theatres. I hope he is continuing to do well in his recovery. God Bless

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: