Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DVD Burner Problems

Author Topic: DVD Burner Problems
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2004 02:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally got around to trying out my Pioneer A06U DVD burner with some .VOB files I downloaded off the 'net years ago. I used the IFOedit and VOBedit utilities to create all I needed in a VIDEO_TS folder so the thing could play on a standard DVD players.

Here's the problem. I insert a blank DVD-R 4X disc in the drive and the system flips out to a Windows blue screen of death message, stating "an exception OE has occurred at 0028:C1C259FB in VxD scsihlp(03) + 0000058B. This was called from 0028:C1C2980 in VxD scsihlp(03) + 00000510. It may be possible to continue normally." Well, the PC doesn't continue normally. It just hangs on a black screen where all you see is the little pointer tool. I to reboot and remove the blank DVD-R disc from the drive to keep the hangup from happening again.

The Ulead software bundled with the drive installed the most current version of Adaptec's ASPI layer (4.60), so the lack of an ASPI layer shouldn't be the issue.

Can a bad blank DVD-R disc cause a Windows BSOD error?

Could my DVD-ROM drive and DVD-RW drive be in conflict with each other somehow? They're both on the same IDE cable, with jumpers set to cable select. I'm mulling over the idea of cabling the DVD burner to a different IDE controller (a PCI Ultra ATA 133 card I use for my 2nd 80GB hard disc).

Edit / Update

Well, I figured out the problem. The Pioneer DVD burner obviously didn't like being on the same IDE chain as my DVD-ROM drive, regardless of jumper settings (master/slave or cable select). It probably didn't like the stock IDE controller on the main board either. So I hooked it up to the spare channel on my other IDE controller, a PCI-based Ultra ATA 133 card from Maxtor used mainly for my 80GB "video record" drive. The change worked fine.

Now I have to deal with the fun issues of what DVD-R media is best to use in playing on standalone DVD players. The purple DVD-R 4X disc I used played okay on my 5-disc Pioneer DVD changer, however I had to chapter around to get to all the content on the disc (even though I had it set up to play everything uninterrupted).

[ 01-24-2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Bobby Henderson ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-24-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah.

Told ya so.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-25-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't found a DVD player that won't read Verbatim's Datalife 4x 4.7GB DVD+R and DVD-R discs written on an A06U.

BTW, if I remember correctly, your computer was made around the time that both AMI and VIA were having major problems with their onboard IDE controllers. You're probably missing the driver updates to make it work.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My A03 needed a firmware update to make it compatible with 4x media.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-25-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have little doubt there is some issue with the on-board IDE controller in my Dell machine, but their website doesn't list any driver updates relating to the service tag on my machine. Considering the 2nd IDE controller in the PCI slot is working fine I guess I'll leave it at that.

Concerning earlier DVD burners, the Verbatim 4X DVD-R blank that came with my burner carried a warning saying damage could occur to hardware if a 4X blank were inserted into a 2X or slower DVD burner. That sounds just a bit scary.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was why I had to install that firmware update for the A03. I can't remember how I found out about it now, but it was purely by accident - a warning that if you attempted to use 4x media without updating the firmware, it would basically bugger the drive. Quite a lucky escape: if I hadn't seen the warning then sooner or later I'd have started buying 4x discs (it's virtually impossible to get 2x ones where we are now) and the rest would have been history.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 01:41 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4x discs reflect the laser in a different way than slower discs. If the drive isn't prepared to handle that it will literally burn itself.

Even retail spindles of Verbatim discs have that warning, as I imagine other manufacturers' products do.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

Have you noticed any slowdown on the hard drive that is now sharing the IDE controller with the A06?

I've always stayed away from putting removable media drives together with hard drives because of the former slowing down the latter, but have never tried it myself to verify that. Supposedly, the hard drive would run at the speed of the slowest device on the controller, which would be the DVD burner in this case.

If you run any benchmarks, or have any informal opinions of any speed differences, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-26-2004 06:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard disc slow down? Nope, haven't seen anything like that, nor would I expect anything like that to happen. Considering the problem I was having, there was no choice but to avoid the motherboard's IDE controller and use the 2nd PCI IDE controller I installed instead.

The Ultra ATA 133 PCI controller I'm using has two separate channels on it. I have an 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache "video recording hard disc" attached to one channel and the Pioneer DVD burner cabled to the other channel on the card. It would seem the only way the hard disc and DVD burner are going to fight with each other is if something happens to bottleneck the PCI bus. I suppose I could do that if I tried capturing video and burning DVDs at the same time (while perhaps trying to do some other computing tasks as well).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-27-2004 03:39 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott thought you put them both on the same channel, in which case he would be correct.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, your A06U is already obsolete. You should throw it away. I just picked up the A07U! I kick much ass. I live on the edge. I have an A07U.

Seriously though, it runs great on the Mac right beside my now outdated A04U which can only burn DVD-R, whereas the A07U can do - as well as +. So now I don't have to worry about jumping on the wrong bandwagon. It also seems to burn DVD's at 8x. I'll probably still stick with 1x for now when making critical DVDs. 4x RW is definitely nice! I'm pretty sure this one will be able to burn dual layer DVDs when the time (and software) comes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: