Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » White Shite! (aka heavy snow forecast for Britain)

Author Topic: White Shite! (aka heavy snow forecast for Britain)
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Monday 26 January; Snow showers will continue to affect Scotland and northern England. Icy roads will be an additional hazard. Snow will start to accumulate over the higher routes today, but also at lower levels by this evening. Driving conditions will be difficult at times. Snow and freezing conditions are expected in many parts of the UK this week. The snow risk will extend southwards but the greatest risk of significant snowfall will remain in the north and east of the UK, where some heavy falls are expected.
Link

Has anyone on this side of the pond seen any of this stuff yet? Not me. I'm sitting in a fifth-floor office on the north-east coast of England (i.e. where we're supposed to be getting the worst of it), basking in bright sunshine. It doesn't even feel cold enough outside for any serious snow.

Could this be a case of extreme paranoia on the part of the forecasters? Around this time last year the whole country came to a virtual halt after just a few hours of snowfall, basically because most of the emergency and utility services were caught with their pants down. It was pathetic - the news was full of old grannies dying of hypothermia in their snowbound cars on the M11 - and the heavy snow only really lasted for a day.

Perhaps the reasoning is that crying wolf will at least give the road gritters, power stations and so on no excuse whatsoever this time, and that a false alarm will generate fewer nasty headlines than a repeat of last year.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an inch or so a couple of weeks ago, but right now it's not even below freezing, and there's not a cloud in the sky, so I don't seem much chance of snow.....

In the North East of Scotland however it is a different story.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-26-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday everything here was dry. Sunday we got 3 inches of snow. Today (Monday) everything has melted and is dry. It rocks! Variety in weather kicks ass.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 10:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some areas of Rochester along the shore of Lake Ontario have had well over 100 inches of snow so far this winter. Sometimes as much as a few inches per hour when the cold winds come just in the right direction over the warmer lake ("lake effect snow"). Our neighborhood gets hit hardest when the winds are directly from Toronto (from the northwest). Usually the plows have the roads clear by morning, but the road salt greatly shortens the life of vehicles.

My daughter is studying in Florence Italy, and wrote that about an inch of snow yesterday tied up traffic and closed down the bus system.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-27-2004 06:32 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete - same here, about 200 miles down the coast. Absolutely nothing so far. The temperature didn't even go below freezing in York last night: the coldest it went was +0.9 degrees C. Since this morning it's been bright sunshine all day so far and not a snowflake in sight. I stick to my paranoia theory...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: