Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bill Gates...knighted!??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bill Gates...knighted!???
Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard about this on the radio while driving to work and almost lost my breakfast over it...

Seattle Post-Intelligencer, January 26, 2004...

quote:

No sir, but Gates will be knighted

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF AND NEW SERVICES

Bill Gates will be knighted in recognition of his contribution to enterprise in Britain.
photo
Gates

Gates, 48, who is the world's richest man, will receive the honorary knighthood at an unspecified date that is "mutually convenient," the Foreign Office said.

Because he is not a British citizen, the Microsoft Corp. chairman cannot use "Sir" in front of his name, but he can put the letters KBE -- Knight Commander of the British Empire -- after it.

Honorary awards to foreign nationals are conferred by Queen Elizabeth II on the advice of Foreign Secretary Jack Straw. "He is one of the most important global business leaders of this age," Straw said. "Microsoft technology has transformed business practices."

(Please note they didn't say "transformed business practices for the better.) [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the "recognition" they gave him in South Park The Movie, better.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder the british empire collapse when they hand out that type of knighthood [Smile]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would call him Sir Spamsalot!

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken--

Amen to THAT!

fjn

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-26-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmmmm... Who the f*ck cares? [sex]

>>> Phil

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Does being knighted make you subject to Noblesse Oblige?

In other words, is Bill now obliged to do "favors" since he was knighted?

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well first Mick Jagger and now Bill Gates! [Confused]

If this keeps up I'm going to have to renounce my British cititzenship.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This just keeps getting stranger. Now Gates thinks he has learned all he needs to know about knighthood from the movies (and from the folks who gave junk e-mail its processed-meaty name)... [Roll Eyes]

From Reuters UK:
quote:
Gates looks to Monty Python's tips on knighthood
Mon 26 January, 2004 18:13

LONDON (Reuters) - Microsoft's Bill Gates, the world's richest man, is looking to classic comedy for clues on what to expect when he receives an honorary knighthood from the Queen.

"All I know about the ceremony is what I saw on Monty Python," Gates told a conference in London on Monday.

He was referring to the cult comedy troupe, whose film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" featured the mythical King Arthur roving through mediaeval England recruiting knights.

Gates, co-founder and chairman of the software giant, will receive the honour from the queen in recognition of his contribution to enterprise.

The ceremony will take place at Buckingham Palace, but no date has yet been set.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be fair, the man was majorly instrumental in creating the present e-world. I remember when we were all on DOS 3.something, being on FidoNet, Linus Torvalds was in there all the time putting together his OS & asking questions about who thought what about his present little chunk of code, & thinking this guy was weird & just has too much time on his hands & undirected restlessness to be wanting to do something as small & dead-ended as make his own OS.

MS-DOS really changed the world, but I think also huge props got to go to IBM for the open architecture PC. IBM now hooking up with Linux is an interesting turn of the merry-go-round.

All hail the a)bort, r)etry, f)ail? & the Null Pointer Assignment.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from Chambers Dictionary:
" benighted : overtaken by night; lost in intelllectual or moral darkness; ignorant"

not to be confused with "be knighted", maybe.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-27-2004 06:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's get Prince Philip to do the honours... with his shotgun. Princess Anne's pit bull could help, too. [Smile]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 06:37 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mick Jagger I can cope with but this takes the biscuit. Don't blame all of us in the UK.

Anyhow things could be worse for you guys , Billy boy could have his eyes on the White House

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2004 02:36 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that shouldn't be "ignited".

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 09:00 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Bill Gates is ig-knighted would he then be an ig-noble? [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: