Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do you delete IE? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do you delete IE?
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of the many people who are sick of Microsoft Internet Explorer and I am currently using a better browser. My question is, is there any possible way to delete IE totally off your computer? Also is there another way to delete Windows messenger off your computer? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IE is listed in Control Panel ----> Add/Remove Programs so you can remove it there. Not sure about Windows Messenger. MSN Messenger is listed but not Windows Messenger.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 07:09 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows messenger is a service you can disable easily.
Internet explorer however might be a little more difficult. It’s built into the operation system, and as far as I know, I don’t think you can completely remove it (please correct me if I am wrong). A friend of mine once tried deleting the file iexplore.exe, only to find it recreated itself on the next boot-up.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-26-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves me correctly, the only thing you can do is either "Restore the previous version" or repair it. I never saw anything in the control panel that will allow complete removal.

I have heard it can be done. However, I am under the understanding that many modifications have to be made in the registry. Maybe Daryl can address that - he is the complete computer nerd. [Big Grin]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't screw with it. Some programs like to use IE for it's registration and help processes. If it is missing it may make the programs not function properly. Note: I say May I am not for sure on that. Just don't use it for normal browsing.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 08:29 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew is quite correct. At least in Windows XP (and I'm sure Daryl will correct me if I'm wrong) most of the core components of IE serve dual puprose as components of the OS. This is what the whole lawsuit thing is over-complete integration (or nearly complete integration) of what should really be two seperate programs-the OS and the web browser.

So yeah, don't do it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reformat your hard drive and install Linux, Unix or anything else but Windows. That's the ONLY way I know to remove all traces of Internet Exploder.

Exploder is rooted so deeply into the OS that you would have to virtually rewrite the system to remove it.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess as long as Im with Windows XPos Im stuck with it.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a bunch!

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 01:47 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in windoze 98 you can completely remove it see here! It basically brings your shell back to win95, but keeps the positive parts of 98. In xp you can remove the shortcuts to the web browser, but not the actual browser itself. That's just about it. At least to the best of my secondary knowledge.

the best way I can find to remove windows messenger would be here.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-27-2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is the Department of Justice ruled that Microsoft must make it possible to completely uninstall Internet Explorer in future versions of Windows.

Of course, with the reality of legal cases often taking more than a decade to settle we all could very well be using a completely different type of computing environment when the law actually gets enforced around, um, say 2015.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-27-2004 09:23 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fdisk works for me. [Razz]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-29-2004 01:16 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't like it, just don't use it. With today's huge hard drives, the drive space used for MSIE is equivalent to a pimple on a gnat's butt.

I never had a compatibly issue with MSIE beating up on Oprah or vice versa. On one screen I might be running MSIE and the other screen I might be running Oprah.

On my 733mhz machine, I run three monitors for one huge extended desktop. I can run a separate browser on each screen, but I have to admit I never did that.

So what's the point of fooling around trying to uninstall MSIE and risk a major crash?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-29-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In windows XP at work, we wanted to COMPLETELY remove MSN messenger because the employees were screwing off too much. I found This on the net for uninstalling MSN completely.

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-29-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Windows 2000 Pro, MSN can be uninstalled via add/remove programs in the control panel.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-02-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And your point? I said XP, didnt I?

JJ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: