Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak Wins Another Academy Sci-Tech Award

Author Topic: Kodak Wins Another Academy Sci-Tech Award
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Academy 2003 Sci-Tech Award Winners

Date Correction of 2003 Awards Ceremony Date to February 14

Happy to say I worked in applying this technology to print film, and with the people receiving the award:

quote:
To Kenneth L. Tingler, Charles C. Anderson, Diane E. Kestner, and Brian A. Schell of the Eastman Kodak Company, for the successful development of a process-surviving antistatic layer technology for motion picture film.

This technology successfully controls the static charge buildup on processed intermediate and sound negative films during high-speed printing operations.

Kinoton wins one too!:

quote:
To Kinoton GmbH for the engineering and development of the
Kinoton FP 30/38 EC II Studio Projector.

This high-speed studio projector produces an image quality equal to projectors with Geneva movements. With its unparalled shuttle speed, reversibility and acceleration this projector has set a new standard for post-production viewing as well as in traditional screening facilities.

And technology used in LOTR:

quote:
To Stephen Regelous for the design and development of Massive, the autonomous agent animation system used for the battle sequences in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Massive takes a new approach in simulating behaviors of large numbers of computer generated extras (a.k.a.) "agents." Each "agent" contains a primitive software "brain" used to develop behavioral rules simulating a wide range of behaviors. In "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy,over 200,000 agents were controlled in several scenes.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-27-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So when is Brad going to get his WELL DESERVED techie-Oscar® for the development of FilmGuard and the anti-thrown-print device????

How does one suggest to the Academy that someone like Brad be considered?

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-27-2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Kodak, and John, for another GREAT innovation that has been "officially" recognized!

Aaron! That's is a great observation/idea!

Brad should just get off his dead ass and submit it to the Tech Committee with back-up documentation... I'm sure they would consider it.

If there is some issue, I could put a good/bad word in for him as required depending on how much he is willing to "compensate/pay" me. [Razz]

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats John and Kodak!

C'mon, Brad! The whole reason you invented Filmguard in the first place was to win awards! Now's your chance. And you did it without corporate financing. C'MON!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 12:08 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron asks, "How does one suggest to the Academy that someone like Brad be considered?"

Every year the Academy solicits nominations for the Sci-Tech awards. For 2003, their press release came out in late July with a deadline of 1 August and an e-mail address for submissions.

Presumably if you want something for next year's Academy Awards, you could submit it now, or could talk to the chair of the Scientific and Technical Awards committee.

Also, the structure might change a bit, since the Academy created the Science and Technology Council (not the same as the Sci-Tech Awards committee) in September. So it's probably best to ask. I'd wait until after this year's Oscars are over, though, since the impression I have is that everyone at AMPAS is really busy around this time of year, doubly so with the Oscars being early.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: