Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dim the lights, start the movies

Author Topic: Dim the lights, start the movies
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dim the lights, start the movies

quote:
Article Last Updated: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:57:27 PM MST

Dim the lights, start the movies

Film festival and Park City are ready to do the dance

By Nan Chalat-Noaker, Record editor

In an empty city building surrounded by snowbanks, the heartbeat of 2004 Sundance Film Festival is palpable. Projectors are whirring amid stacks of metal shipping cases as a crew of technicians work with magnifying lenses to assemble each of the 240 titles that will be screened over the next 10 days
as part of the Sundance Film Festival.

Bill Hill, the festival's projection and revision manager is keenly aware of the importance of their task. Many of the first-time filmmakers' careers hang on the success of their screenings during the festival. Many have sunk their life's savings into this one chance to gain the attention (and
financial backing) of a big studio.

"This is their baby, says the 14-year Sundance veteran. "Sometimes they want to be here to look over our shoulder, and we let them do it. We walk them through the whole process.

[photograph caption: Bill Hill, a 14-year veteran of the Print Traffic department for The Sundance Festival and his crew will assemble and inspect more than 240 films and deliver them to theaters around Park City over the next 10 days. Grayson West/Park Record]

According to Hill, each of 11 screens in Park City that are used by Sundance, has only one 35 mm projector. Some the smaller reels for each film that arrive in the days (sometimes minutes) before the festival begins must be "built onto Hill's giant silver reels.

"We look at every piece of film at tape that will be shown, he explains. The big reels are then transported by a crew of print runners, many of whom are filmmakers themselves they return each year to help Hill make sure the right film gets to the right theater at the right time.

Though, Hill remembers when the festival did not have a technical director and the Egyptian Theater was the festival's main venue (the Eccles Center hadn't been built yet), he proudly states, "We are world class now. And he disappears behind a black curtain to continue inspecting the latest shipment of films.

There is also a buzz of excitement at the festival box office at the bottom of Swede Alley where volunteers have been printing out and assembling all of the online ticket orders. They are also busy fielding questions about ticket availability, selling tickets to the Music Caf nighttime performances and handing out free tickets to the post festival Best of Fest screenings in Park City, Salt Lake City and at Sundance resort.

"There are just a handful of screenings still available, said festival box office manager Alice Hummons on Tuesday afternoon. Among those tickets still on sale, she said, were a few for the Short Programs and Midnight Screenings. As in previous years, Hummons said there were also a limited number of tickets for the Jan. 25 slots left open for the dramatic and documentary award winners.

"But we will be releasing tickets throughout the festival, she said adding that the best advice she can offer is to go directly to the theater an hour before the film you want to see is playing. There wait list cards will be handed out for $10 in cash. Thirty minutes before screening time wait-listers will be given tickets or will get their money back.

In the meantime, the rest of the city is bracing for 10 days of great films, gnarly traffic, a blizzard of handbills and hours of people-watching. For more information about the Sundance Film Festival log on to sundance.org

Filmprojection.com

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill & Co. sticker all the reels with "Inspected by Hill Top Productions" which is, IMHO, perfectly worthless. I like to sticker with useful information like picture and sound format and reel identity (where not visible by printing and undertaping) and only mentions my business in the fine print. But we do agree on the location; I put mine on top of his. [Razz]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened a print that they ran and made-up. I had the print just before they got it. The print was uncut and had temp cues. The print came back cut (thats OK, they handled it right), but they scribed new cues into the print. The first one was on the frameline and the second was mid-frame. [Eek!]

Steve K.
I like the stickers you use on your prints. I never have a problem with prints that you get first before me. [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-28-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those "Hill Top Production" stickers don't peel off easily, either.

I do like his inspection report form, though, as it includes not only picture and sound format info, but also important (for festivals) items like "frames after last cue" (for each reel) and a brief description of the closing frame. Someday, I'll come up with a similar form and start using that. The forms I use for festival prints suffer from being xeroxed through too many generations and are hard to read and not as complete and well layed out.

So how many people does it take to do film inspection for Sundance, anyway?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bill. But I thought Hill Top built everything into giant reels at a central location and sent those out to the venues. Do they run C/O out there?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know what kind of film transport (platter or large reel)
they use. It was built-up. But they cleaned the film and took the temp cues off. And replaced them with scribed cues. I have no problem with that, but please use a real scribe and place them in the right place.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: