Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Super Bowl Ads

Author Topic: Super Bowl Ads
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the AMIA listserver:

quote:
Thought some of you might want to know what's up for the Super Bowl.
Adweek has their annual ad buy sheet up at

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39561

Food for thought: try to find copies of these ads ten years from now. OR - Try to get a
broadcast quality copy of these ads FIVE years from now.

Laura Jenemann
Librarian
J. Walter Thompson

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2004 08:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone care about these ads 5 years from now? Or even 16 seconds after they are aired? I still don't get Apple's 20 year old "1984" commercial which is supposed to be the best thing that ever happened ever on the planet earth. It sucks ass, just like Ridley Scott (most of the time). But people won't let it die.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 09:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like them or not, advertisements mirror our history and values, and are worth preserving as cultural records. Trouble is, although most are still shot on film, they are usually edited and "finished" on digital media, that is often not well preserved.

It's sad to see the poor quality of the old Jack Paar footage, or early TV shows like "Captain Kangaroo", the original "Honeymooners", and "Howdy Doody". Yet filmed shows like "I Love Lucy" and the original "Star Trek" episodes are finding new life in the world of DVD and HD.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 02:21 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The advertisers and the people who produce their spots do come up with some great ones for the Super Bowl. But why won't they run them afterward? Why are the lousy ones kept in rotation? (If I see a Dell ad or a Bowflex spot just one more time...)

Good commercials just might keep my attention, rather than my trying to kill the batteries in my remote.

Ever notice how all the stations now go to commercial at the very same time? Used to be you could click around and watch other things and then come back to your show. Now you see ads, ads, and more ads.

If you must ruin my show with ads, please make them worth watching. I do enjoy most of the Super Bowl ads tho, as an entertainment medium, not something I wish to record and keep.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased the two disc special edition of Walt Disney's"ALICE IN WONDERLAND" and it is superb! One nice extra feature on the DVD is "ONE HOUR IN WONDERLAND", an hour TV entertainment program shown on Christmas day in 1950 with Disney and his family and stars including many other entertainment celebrities of the period . It was sponsored by Coca Cola and the vintage Coke commercials are very entertaining and wonderful. Because there were no color television at the time, the entire show was broadcast in black and white. With the transfer on DVD, all of the animated footage from Disney's films that were photographed in color was presented that way on the disc. The commercials however were in the original black and white and had a very nostalgic look to them.

By the way, our local Aloha Airline who service the west coast as well as the islands here in Hawaii has invested one million dollars in Super Bowl advertising this year. I have always enjoyed their commercials because they were all well made.

-Claude

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like them or not, advertisements mirror our history and values, and are worth preserving as cultural records.
As Joe pointed out they're regarded by viewers as pretty much unwanted now, but in a few decades time their content is likely to represent quite lucrative IPR. The same goes with news footage - in 1935 no-one would have wanted to see a two-week old newsreel, yet that same footage is now licensed for $300/minute per territory per transmission. The companies which hold the rights to these collections all turn quite impressive profits.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 04:13 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Bradford we hold a large collection of TV ads
They are in great demand by current TV programme makers for "Do you remeber the 60,s " type of show

http://www.nmpft.org.uk/insight/thecollection_tele.asp

quote:
The advertising industry has always been among the first to utilise the latest developments in technology. Our collection of over six thousand British television commercials, starting with ITV's first ever advert in 1955 - for Gibbs SR toothpaste, gives us a wonderful insight into technical advances, cultural trends and sexual stereotypes over the last fifty years.

There is also an Advertising gallery

http://www.nmpft.org.uk/guide/galleries/advertising.asp

quote:
Featuring some of the most memorable and controversial advertising campaigns of the last 20 years, this gallery explores how advertisers persuade us to buy products, again and again and again.

British advertising talent is regarded as being among the best in the world, with leading film directors, including Alan Parker and Ridley Scott, making amazing 30-second dramas plugging everything from beer to mashed potatoes. Go inside the how and whys of a campaign, exploring with the help of leading creatives how the original client brief is brought to life. A key feature of the gallery is a special DVD display which enables you to surf through the campaigns which have won awards at this year's British Design and Art Direction (D&AD) awards - the advertising 'Oscars'

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 06:47 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many commercials from the 1950s until the 1980s were produced and finished on 35mm film. I know that many agencies junked their 35mm prints when they stopped presenting the spots in their own screening rooms. Then the only original material that remained was the 35mm negative at the production company, and when one of these wnt out of business or did not pay the lab storage bills, guess what they did with the negs...

Often I got calls from companies looking for their vintage commercials which they have stored only on old and very used VHS or U-matiuc tapes - only in very few cases I could help locate a collector's print and make them pay for using it.

Advertising is a part of popular culture, and it's a pity that most of it will be lost forver.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 07:29 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our collection is on 35mm and was transferred to us from the Independent Television Authority I believe.

They were the organisation that oversaw UK commercial ( ie not BBC) television companies. Copies of all adverts that were screened on national channels had to be lodged with them.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-30-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, the hype the network tries to associate with the commercials are justification for the high prices they're charging. An advertiser will never get that much value out of the actual airing because, well, who pays attention to TV commercials?

They're trying to make them "an event", which of course is utter bull [bs] "Oh, boy, here are the commercials! Let's all sit down and watch them! They are important."

Me, I've hated the Super Bowl ever since my car broke down in Houston in '86. I walked two miles to a service station for help, and the doofuses just gave me a blank look and said, "The Super Bowl's on!", like I was stupid for even asking. The only thing I could think to say was, "SO?". I ended up having to thumb a ride.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 01:23 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gary I been wondering the same thing. I wonder if it is some kind of conspircy where the stations all broadcast commercials at the same time? I know that I was getting really annoyed this past season with all the college football games starting at the exact same time (and thus all the halftime shows starting at the same time also).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-30-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which (if any) of the Super Bowl ads this year will be broadcast in HD? I assume that the game broadcast will be HD, correct?

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about hi-def, but it will be 'covered' in 3-D, to a limited extent. It's a test NFL films is doing using a new 3-D (video) rig a California company has devised.

There was an interesting article, and a couple of pics of the rig, in yesterday's online New York Times.

Edit: I found the link to the article. I'd post the text here, but don't know how to include the pics. Sorry.
Times 3-D article

Ron Yost .. who could care less about any football game. [Big Grin]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "The Late Night Show with David Letterman" start exactly the same time and they announce their guests at the same time also.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: