Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "The Big Game" on Sunday (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: "The Big Game" on Sunday
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Dallas and maybe all around, the radio stations are not able to actually say "Superbowl" or even the team names.

They have to dance around it.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is ?

They have mentioned something in regards to trademarks.

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-29-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GO PATS!!!!!!!!! [thumbsup] Anyway, no idea Paul. [Big Grin]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 04:46 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the radio stations her in Vegas will on call it the "BIG GAME" and one of the DJ's said it was due to legal reasons and trademarks. However a couple other stations actuall actually used the words "Super" and "Bowl" together in some promotions. Apparently you have to pay for the rights use the words "Super" and "Bowl" together at the same time. For my sake and Brad's, I did not use them together because I don't need to be bothered by the NFL. God forbid if I even think about taping a game. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-29-2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example of the money-grabbing "professional" sports organizations/CORPORATIONS ripping off the fans & all us "peons"! JFC! NO ONE may say the words "Super Bowl" for fear of the Sports Police GOD striking them dead with a bolt of lightning!

Besides, those idiots tout PEPSI as their official soft drink! YUK! [puke] What a bunch of jerks, eh Daryl?

The endless circle of more and more costly event tickets to support more and more outrageous player salaries! [bs] I gave up on pro sports years ago for that reason. F 'em! [fu]

BTW Rach: NE Pats? OH PULEEZE! See the below pic! If they win, I'll eat a bug!

-

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm running a news organization either through radio, TV, print or web, I can use the term "Super Bowl". If the NFL wants to pressure people about trademark use they need to be told to blow it out their ass.

One of the provisions of copyright and trademark law is "fair comment." You can legally use trademarks and copyrighted material in material that is "editorial" such as any news story. The only things you really have to be careful about is providing notice who owns the copyrighted/trademarked material and not use it in any kind of a scandalous way.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the deal with the guy in the center with the huge belt buckle? Seriously. He needs therapy. Why else would he have a buckle so big?

Sure, "Superbowl" is a registered trademark, but you can still say it. Maybe you just can't use the term in promotions without consent ("win two tickets to the superbowl" etc). Otherwise you couldn't say ANTHING. You couldn't say anything like "I was driving my Honda down the street past the Pepsi Center when the Colorado Avalanche jumped in front of my car and committed suicide as I listened to my Sony MiniDisc recording of Guilty Gear X."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is the deal with the guy in the center with the huge belt buckle?
Perhaps a lot of guys would not wear those big rodeo belt buckles if they knew what many women whisper about them, "big belt buckle: tombstone for a dead dick."

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-30-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW Rach: NE Pats? OH PULEEZE! See the below pic! If they win, I'll eat a bug!
Ok Phil, you can post that picture of you eating a bug here on Film-Tech on monday. Do I get to pick the type of bug?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-30-2004 12:24 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rach, it'll be a sea bug, a.k.a. lobster...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-30-2004 03:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, that guy is Paul. He recently got paroled from serving 7 years for aggravated assault.

That buckle isn't a tombstone as Bobby suggests, it's a dedication plaque to his "little mister" for the times he had in prison. [Eek!]

>>> Phil

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sports is dumb. Sports broadcasts were originally planned as a diversion to get people's minds off of real-world problems and it's been working ever since, single-handedly dumbing down the people of this nation. It's amazing what people do in the name of sports. More people have died as a result of professional sports than from any single schedule-1 narcotic. Even major broadcasters like CBS drop their advertizing policies if it means they can place such-and-such an ad on during the SUPERBOWL.

Which reminds me: SUPERBOWLSUPERBOWLSUPERBOWL.... etc

There. Now if they sue me they'll be lucky to get my Osram hat!

=TMP=

Mod edit: No Thomas. No.

[ 01-30-2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the heck is this thread so wide? Uh oh, it's Thomas's fault with that SUPERBOWLSUPERBOWL thing. Watch out buddy...now you'll have the NFL and Brad (or Redifer) on your case! [Razz]

[ 02-01-2004, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-30-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas is just mad because Florida doesn't have any professional teams that can compete in the real world. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-30-2004 02:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for the "World Champion Florida Marlins." [puke] At least they beat the Yankees.

Oh, yeah: Super Bowl...Super Bowl...etc.... The NFL can bite me.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, making the thread wide like that was an accident. But nonetheless, I scrolled up and down amusing myself at the result and laughing hysterically for several minutes.

I'm glad Florida doesn't have a professional whoever that can compete in the championship yadda yadaa... it reduces the chances of idiots going apeshit in the streets for one reason or another. We're lucky our college team sucks so we don't get much of that around this town.

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: