Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Building a cardboard standee (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Building a cardboard standee
Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just received a monstrous cardboard standee for "Big Fish" and somehow I got talked into helping build it.

A disaster at best, nothing lined up, quality control non-existent. It was not made to go together! Even the "screen" sign part didn't line up, the words not matching form one side to the other. It says "Tim BurBurton" across the top LOL.

How did you other folks deal with it, and others like it? If it was up to me it would've ended up in my fireplace. It still might.

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-29-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be creative. [Big Grin]

We had to take a whole middle section out of one because there was no ceiling in our lobby high enough for the standee! [Roll Eyes] It actually came out looking - normal!

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were creative all right! If we weren't it would be in the dumpster. We punched most of the screw holes ourselves just so it would look like something when done. All in all it looks okay but the instructions were pretty much useless, except for helping us to ID the parts. The dark corner we have it in helps too...

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny this topic was posted. today we got a display for "Coral Reef", it came in a monster 2 crates. one was about 8' wide and 4' high the other was not quite as big. they came huge wood crates screwed and stapled and glue together. we had to break down the crate since we will be shipping it to other theatre. the display we got came from and OMNIMAX in orgeon national muesuem.

the display has a DVD player, stero unit and a tv screen also 2 towers with water in them and bubbles bubbling and a fan blowing some orange things out of the top. very nice equiment, but the directions didn't help and one section the bottom board wouldn't line up the screws. it took us from 10am until about 3pm to finally have it working and including breaking down the crates, they wouldn't fit in the doors.

i give it a few weeks before some kid ruins it or somehow knocks it down and crushes him,

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having built many standees over the years, I came to the conclusion many years ago that the guys that design these are high on crack. Seriously. They are so bizarrely designed. I have an image of a bunch of guys sitting around a computer getting wasted and giggling while they plot just how difficult to make the fucker up.

I'm semi retired from the standee making business now. Burnt out!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built the standee for "Cheaper By The Dozen" outside in the breezeway of our concessions stand one last last fall. Took me several hours... and I still had a bag of screws and wingnuts leftover.

Worse part was.... we ended up closing for the season before we were able to show the film. Ended up throwing the thing away.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite standee was the Red Dragon standee with hannibal in it [Smile] Yeah baby..

Now the worst standee...Daredevil...I helped an usher put it togehter for 3 hours. He started 3 hours before that. It was hillarious because he'd assembled one of the two d's half backwards...funny thing is the instructions said that it went that way...

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William
We had that Coral Reef display last year. It took me and 3 other staff members about 3 hours to set it up, and it still never went up right (could never remove the wooden support just under the fake coral in the middle) what a pain in the ass. After a week the interactive part of the display stopped working and the music started driving the floor staff mad. It was set up for two months and I was happy to see it leave.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 11:11 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think you've been through the wringer... wait'll you do "I-ROBOT"! (hint from my daughter, the Manager)> follow the directions BACKWARDS, and you'll have a better chance of getting it right!

We recently took our (42 foot) Peter Pan standee down. The cutout of Peter is attached to a long piece of plexiglass, making it stand out about a foot from the rest of the standee. When we took it apart, I thought about sticking Peter out one of the projection ports. Never did it, but still considering it! [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-30-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Big Fish standee today in Oak Harbor. My first thought was "Who is gonna haul that thing to the dump??"

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic - the 'destructions' that came with the DareDevil standee were total crap! [Mad]

I fought with that sucker for longer than I should have, but got it together. Whereas no-one else that took a crack at it made any kind of headway.

Anyone who tried to follow the instructions to the letter to put that one together, would not be able to. Most aggravating.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WORD!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you all fail to realize it that the instructions are simply a test of your nerve(s). ANyone who has built standees long enough can look at the components of a standee and pretty much determine what goes where and how it fits together.

I think Jack mentioned the 'I-Robot" standee. I found that it was interesting to sya the least. I think the 'dimentionalized' look upon completion was way cool. I think that we have close to 15 standees in our lobby/hallways right now.

I will agree that the designers are often VERY creative...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-31-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember the old Steve Martin movie "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid?"

We had a standee for that, and it featured a lifesize cutout of Martin pointing a pistol. After we played the movie, I thought the cutout was cool, so I took it upstairs and set it next to the projector facing the booth door.

Fast forward a few weeks....when I went home one night, I accidentally left the front door of the theatre unlocked. A few hours later I got a call from the police station asking me to come down and lock up.

I was met by an irate cop who told me he had gone into the building to check things out, and when he walked into the booth (in which a night light was on) and saw Steve Martin pointing a gun at him, he had almost shot a hole in the side of the lamphouse!

So I moved Steve to the storage room.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny Mike,

Our mall security staff is made up of off duty officers.
They sometimes take old cardboard standees and posters with people on them. They use them at their target range for a fun change from the standard silouette.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: