Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone else use Nextel Cell services?

Author Topic: Anyone else use Nextel Cell services?
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if anyone else here uses Nextel and what your opinion(s) may be...

|  IP: Logged

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was down your way this weekend. I took the family to the Landmark for the weekend and I see they are going to open the new mall in March. Have you been over to see what the new cinemas will look like and when they will be opening. We were going to go to the 1.50 theatre but went swimming instead

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 01:40 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we been using nextel since Aug.2003, the i58 phones sucks..it drops out even with a ful signal...I just change to the i730 phone two weeks ago, same thing...I wish we stayed with AT&T, much better signal...I travel all over the USA..AT&T to me is the best service over nextel...the walkie talkie feature is cool in the nextel, but for only a 1 to 1 , with more than 2 techs needing a walkie talkie to hear each other, this feature sucks, on new installs we still use our motorola to commuicate with more than 1 person...I still prefer the AT&T...

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 02:47 AM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a nextel i60c no problems been all around the state of florida no droped calls i am glad i got rid of at&t

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 09:18 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a lot of Nextel phones for the walkie talkie feature alone--one of my properties even with a repeater Motorola couldn't get full coverage but the Nextel's work fine. On the other hand, I don't find their cell coverage up to Verizon's for the parts of the Northeast I travel most, so I end up carrying two phones--a pain in the a__. We're so far into Nextel, though, that I haven't tried Verizon's walkie talkie service.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 09:29 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Verizon, who sold me a plan that doesn't work as promised. I plan to switch to "T-Mobile" on the 18th of Feb.
The problem is that I want a phone that will let me call from and receive calls, from two areas. Bend OR and Seattle WA. The Verizon people show that they have coverage in Bend but I can't receive calls there. I can send them but not receive. T-Mobile has facilities and towers at both places so I'm hoping it works "as advertised".

What's the matter with your current system Jason?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 11:02 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fitz:

The mall is planned to open on March 14 2004. I have not heard any other news but I see them progressing everyday. I haven't taken a tour of the new theatre yet, but I hope to do so within the next week or so. I have to get in touch with my electricain friend to get access without anyone knowing who I am.

Greg:
Nothing is wrong with my current service. I have one of the free incoming call plans w/ unlimited two-way. The 2-way function is the main reason I have kept this phone as long as I have. The cellular coverage is anything less than perfect. Coverage zones are concentrated in metor areas with little to NO coverage in rural areas. As long as I'm on an Interstate, I have coverage but once off the I-state, I'm DOA. Fortunately, I don't travel that much anymore, so this really isn't an issue.

The only drawback to Nextel is the plan pricing. I have found that all of their package prices are a little on the high side.
I have the i90-c and it seems to provide good signal. I especially like the speakerphone feature. Very handy when driving or trying to troubleshoot something while talking to my tech.

Not to mention that Commercial aired in last night's game!

Nextel. Done.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nextel doesn't work in Las Vegas when the power goes out. Apparently. [Wink]

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I priced Nextel along with many other companies in my area when my contract was up. Their pricing was way out of line with any other company. For the same plan they were double to triple the price of any other. Their basic plans start at $60.00/mo around here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: