Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Computer geek names son after software (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Computer geek names son after software
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-02-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
US father names son 'Version 2.0'

A proud US father and self-confessed engineering "geek" has named his son after a computer software term. Jon Blake Cusack, from Holland, Michigan, told local newspapers the US practice of adding "Junior" or "II" after a boy's name was too common.

So, when his son was born last week, he decided on the name Jon Blake Cusack 2.0, as if he were a software upgrade. Mr Cusack admitted that it took months to persuade his wife, Jamie, to accept the idea.

'Cool'

Mrs Cusack said she asked several friends if they approved of the name. All the men, she said, felt the name was "cool". However her women friends were less impressed. "I think the women will end up liking it," she said.

Mr Cusack told the Holland Sentinel newspaper he got the idea from a film called The Legend of 1900, in which an abandoned baby is given the name 1900 to celebrate the year of its birth. "I thought that if they can do it, why can't we?" he told the paper. "Besides, I had picked out the theme of the baby's room."

After little Jon Version 2.0 was born, Mr Cusack even sent a celebratory e-mail to family and friends designed to look as though he and his wife had created new software. "I wrote... stuff like 'there's a lot of new features from Version 1.0 [Mr Cusack himself] with additional features from Jamie'," he said.

And he is already planning for his son's future. "If he has a child, he could name it 3.0," he said. "The first [1.0] would have major revisions, then we have 2.0 and 3.0."

Link to story.

Given the extent of his obsession it's a wonder found the time (or a like-minded partner with which) to have children at all!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for their next child, Jon Blake Cusack Version 2.1

While Version 2.1 will be improved and faster than ever, he will most certainly have lots of bugs in him.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-02-2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this father should rethink his choice. This boy will have a tough time growing up.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the boy in the Johnny Cash song,
"A Boy Named Sue?"

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-02-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The name is still Jon, isn`t it? So that`s not too bad. But the version 2.0 is ridiculous. It will just give the kid a lot more to write and he will probably have to explain it every single time he gives his name. Or maybe it will have become commonplace by the time he has grown up. Then the parents can feel like "pioneers".
My parents didn`t give me and my brother middle names because they thought we would have to write less when filling out paperwork. I am still grateful to them for that, because I absolutely hate filling out paperwork.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents decided to make it fun for me.
I'm Dominic Joaquin Leal-Espinosa...Yeah, buddy!
Altho, I say if parents can't figure out a clever name then don't bother. I have at least 3 cousins with the middle name Marie...Hooray for 2.0. Let's just hope he doesn't end up being malware masquerading as the latest and greatest [Smile]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 06:02 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents didn`t give me and my brother middle names because they thought we would have to write less when filling out paperwork. I am still grateful to them for that, because I absolutely hate filling out paperwork.

How did you know when they were really angry with you?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-02-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How did you know when they were really angry with you?
David, that's soooo true! [thumbsup]

...and Mike, I think many here can think of a "good" middle name fer ya. [Razz]

>>> Phil

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to middle names - the 'tradition' with the Babbidge men I'm related to, has been to give the son the father's first name as a middle name. My father is Paul Howard, my grandpa is Howard Forest, my great-grandpa is Forest Hubert, and so on and so forth.

For many generations they were only sons of only sons. However, I have two brothers. Courtney Paul, and Desmond R. My mother would have liked to have given Desmond the name Roland for his middle name, which was her father's name, but he made her promise to never name a child after him (he did not like his name)! The 'L.' you see to the left is for "Leigh". I also have a sister, Delilah Emerson.
The pediatrician my parents brought all of us to see for check-ups complimented my folks on the unique nature of our names. [thumbsup]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-03-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as four years old I refused to be called David, and insisted that I be called Dave, because my teachers could not pronounce it correctly. You would think that in Napa California, with all those Italians running around, that someone would get how to pronounce my name! It's pronounced Da-veed, not Day-vid.

When you are four, you get testy about those things. I could care less now, there isn't anyone left alive that pronounces it Da-veed anymore anyway, so who the hell cares.

I would have loved to have a moniker like 2.0. Just imagine the jokes that could be made about that!

Thank god my parents thought long and hard enough to make sure I had a name that was difficult to make fun of.

Ciao

Dave

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-03-2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my family we also have a naming convention but it's not as formal as Garcia's.

Men in my family are simply named so that their initials are "R.W.S". My father's name was Richard Wallace, My brother's name is Ryan Wayne and I am Randall Walter. I also have a half-brother named, "Richard Thomas". Since he's a half-brother he is only subject to half the rule. [Big Grin]

I also have a couple of relatives whose names are their initials. I have one cousin named, Christopher Joseph Snow. He goes by "C.J. Snow". I have an uncle, "J.W. Snow".

I see no reason people couldn't simply be given letters instead of names, a la "B.J. Honeycut" from the TV show "M*A*S*H" I once gave my cat letters instead of a name. It was named (lettered) "K.C.". People always used to ask me, "What does 'K.C.' stand for?" They'd guess things like, "Killer Cat", "Krazy Cat" and even one Deadhead swore that must mean, "K.C. Jones". I had a lot of fun trying to explain that he didn't have a name... Only letters.

There are a lot of good "letter-names" if you think about it: J.B., J.P, J.W., K.D., K.G., M.E., O.J., P.T., T.J., and the list goes on.

Naming a kid, "2.0" is kind of lame. I'm reminded of little Richie Petri, the kid on the old "Dick Van Dyke" TV show, whose middle name was "Rosebud" because his parents couldn't decide on which relative to name him after. At least Richie was only fictional! I agree that naming a kid, "2.0" will make him a laughing stock for the rest of his life... Or at least until he turn 18 years old and can change his name without his parents' permission. [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-03-2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a P.J., even though I don't wear any... [beer]

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-03-2004 07:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When John Blake Cusack takes a dump does he say he going to go one-point-o or two-point-o?

That poor kid is going to get his ass kicked a lot. "Hey, version shit! Gimmie yer lunch money!"

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-04-2004 08:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's either going to get his ass kicked or he'll turn into one tough mother f*cker!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-04-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time this kid gets to school having a computer term as part of his name will be very cool. I remember a while back seeing where some people gave their kids numbers for names. At least they would not run out of names. Hey 473, it's time for bed.

There was a guy in my unit in the Army who had an initial that stood for nothing as a first name--as R. James Smith. After many problems explaining the situation he added only in parenthesis after the R. As R.(only) James. Shortly afterward his new Army given first name was Ronly, figuring trying to correct it was going to be an exercise in futility, he gave up and started using Ronly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: