Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film-Tech on a Film Can?

Author Topic: Film-Tech on a Film Can?
Tal Marks
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Tal Marks   Author's Homepage   Email Tal Marks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Making up "The Dreamers" this morning, I noticed a sticker on the top of the can that promoted:

www.film-tech.com
www.widescreenmuseum.com
and
Lake Street Screening Room

Is this new or have I not been making up enough movies lately to notice?

-t

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lake Street Screening Room in Chicago is owned by Steve Kraus who posts here on Film-Tech.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-04-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a Film-Tech sticker on a can before, but only once in MANY years.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-04-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a part of our plan to take over the world. Please keep this a secret. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-04-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten a couple of prints with Steve's stickers as well. Very classy.

Has anyone else gotten one of Frank Angel's letters in a film can?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 03:20 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have not gotten one from Frank Angel, However John Stewart at the Paramount got one with a note in the can from Randy Stankey stating that the print had been Film-Gaurded.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-04-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Nice to know that SOMEBODY reads them! [Smile]

It's been a while since I have put notes in cans but I still always put a label on the tail of the print which states: "Film-Guard Applied -- <DATE>". If I find something that's important for the next guy to know I may stick one in from time to time, but not as a regular thing.

I don't often have time to put notes in anymore. My students just don't have what it takes to analyze a print in a meaningful way and I jave to spend a lot of my time doing so many other things.

Hey! If anybody out there gets a print from me or my crew at Mercyhurst and there is something wrong with it that you think one of my guys caused I want to know about it! I'll get on somebody's case!

(I almost had to fire one kid because the projector went out of frame in the middle of a show & it took too long to fix it!)

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put a "Film-Tech" sticker on my "can" once. It was either that or "kick me".

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-04-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my plan to get more suckers...er...I mean participants here. Never know who will have that morsel of information we can't do without.

And Marty's site because it's great and everyone should read it.

And a plug for my operation not because it will bring in any business (ha!) but because it makes the label stock a proper business expense! [beer]

-

Tal, which print did you get? The one I had yesterday was marked showprint, had extra cream colored leaders, and reel grading stickers. Had a different one last week.

Genuine NC-17 rating tag on the end, kids.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone else gotten one of Frank Angel's letters in a film can?

THAT sends the imagination into overdrive.

I usually only drop in an inspection report.

The exception is if running a film festival of independent & student flicks & films from overseas. Then I just burn a roll of film snapping the auditorium from the projection port, take them to a nearby drugstore with Kodak <tm> Perfect Touch one hour processing where they'll develop the whole roll with double prints for about $5, & stick a picture of the theater in the can (box, whatever) so that when the movie goes back home the people get to see the place where a bunch of people come in & saw their movie. The leftover prints I give to the theater to hand out when pimping rentals.

I find running independent & student films stressful. They don't know anything about shipping films, they come packaged every whichaway, on reels in cans made for cores, all kinds of boxes, swathed with tape, etc. They're like Christmas presents wrapped by children. You can smell the enormous personal, emotional, & financial investment coming off of them.

Tal Marks
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 01:47 AM      Profile for Tal Marks   Author's Homepage   Email Tal Marks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I believe I got the print you just had. It was a showprint (8007 i think). Never plattered and looked great for our BAFTA screening. We're keeping the print for our opening Friday.

Talk about poor film shipping... the Indian Film Festival was an amazing show of various types of products used to contain film for international shipping. I always love the Indie film Pizza boxes sent around the world with 2 dozen pieces of every kind of tape holding it together. Then there's the hyper-cautious screening assistants that send film cans wrapped in Dell Computer boxes, for that extra added protection. Don't forget, there's always the scribbled note on the inside of a Wheaties box:

Dear Projectionist,
please ride the focus between each reel and adjust the volume accordingly (especially during the explosion scenes in reels 1, 2, & 4). And make sure to frame up as much as possible since the guy holding the boom came to the set drunk one time.

thanks!

2nd-year-film-student

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: