Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » National anthem performance in a jazzed fashion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: National anthem performance in a jazzed fashion
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-09-2004 10:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps because I feel established traditions must be preserved I thought I would discuss something that has been troubling me lately.

I just happened to tune in to the Pro Bowl football game yesterday from our Aloha Stadium here in Honolulu on ESPN and only watched the first hour before I had to go on a photo assignment and cringed when a young woman sang our national anthem in a jazzed up rendition. I have been hearing others sing it the same way a lot lately and frankly, I do not like it at all. As most of you know, the words are by Francis Scott Key from his poem "The Defense of Fort McHenry" and the melody is supposedly by an 18th century British composer ,John Stafforfd Smith. Both the lyrics and the music are very stirring and majestic when sung in the traditional manner and played by a military band or a symphony orchestra. The lyrics means a lot to me because it describes the Union victory over the British at Fort McHenry, Baltimore after heavy Bombardment by the enemy on September 13, 1814. Jazz and Rock and Roll has been around for a long time and so has the blues and I cannot understand why our national anthem is only now being performed in large public gatherings in such a undignified manner. I also love the Canadian and British anthems "O Canada" and "God Save The Queen" and so far, I have not heard any jazzed up versions of them and I hope I never do.

This matter reflects only my personal opinion and I am very curious if some of you who are much younger feel the same way as I do?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

As a 34 year old I have to agree with you on this. I am much apart of the Rocka nd Roll era but singing and performing the National Anthiem in an out of tune, out of pace manner is really revolting to me. As a student of Marching band in 7-10th grade and classical Violin in the 5th and 6th grade I can have a great appreciation for how the Star Spangled Banner should be performed that most probably do not understand or care to as yourself and I do.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-09-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely agree. Perhaps some of the blame belongs with the producers or whoever has control in giving the so called performers too much license to do whatever they please.

The Star Spangled Banner is also one of a handful of national anthems that is not a march.

In addition to to the British & Canadian, the French national anthem is a great piece, I have no idea what it says though.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 12:32 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes., Bill

The French anthem "La Marseillaise" is beautiful and I also like it . Beside France, Germany also has a nice anthem and is known as "Deutschland Uber Alies" The music is by Franz Joseph Haydn and is taken from his "Kaiser" Quartet. Another one I like is the anthem of my ancestral homeland, Japan. It is known as "Kimi Ga Yo " and is rather short with a subdued but elegant melody.

-Claude

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it matter what tempo the anthem is played in, as long as it is played.
At big rugby games here the anthem is usually played at a fast tempo with the crowd on their feet, dancing & singing.
This is a wonderful sound that brings everyone together (in hatred of Australia)
Study note; See version of SSB in "Mystery Alaska"

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 01:47 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is all connected to the "hip hop" infiltration of our society. It doesn't really bother me. I have not thought much about it. I do think that at some point it will get to be too much. Kids today have no concern for history.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-10-2004 02:48 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Germany also has a nice anthem and is known as "Deutschland Uber Alies"
The first verse "Deutschland ueber alles" is not sung anymore. Its originally sentimental meaning - the poet von Fallersleben wrote it in exile, and frankly it is a very simple, kitschy poem, but innocent in its nostalgic reflection on the lost fatherland - was transformed in meaning by the Nazis to mean "Germany above everything in the world" in the sense of "let`s conquer the rest of the world".
Therefore, only the third verse is sung which basically means "unity, justice and freedom for the German fatherland, let us all strive for that as brothers" etc etc. That is much more free of negative associations.
> The French anthemn is an authentic song of the Revolution. Its text is quite graphic, it is worth looking up a translation...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-10-2004 03:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: I don't think it's necessarily the hip-hop influence. But I do somewhat agree with you about the lack of "concern" by SOME/(most?) kids (and people in general) today.

Perhaps a better word would be lack of "respect" for history and those that "paid" so those "kids" can enjoy their freedom. Oh, and lack of respect for everything including people. IMHO, a sad commentary on the direction society.

And Claude, I agree 100%. Some things ya just DON'T screw around with. I fail to see the merits of trying to be "cool" by changing the tempo and/or arrangement of our National Anthem.

>>> Phil

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 06:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Jimi Hendrix version of the national anthem used to sort of irk & baffle me, but I find now I really like it. It moves backward & forward in time. It's a traditional thing, & a relevant thing of the moment too. Very busy, very thought provoking.

Not that I ever really was fond of the national anthem as a piece of music. I'm with the camp which would rather have had "America the Beautiful" as the national anthem. "The Star Spangled Banner" is an old English drinking song with new sort of blunt, clunky lyrics. When you know it was a drinking song, you suddenly understand why that high note at the end was put in, & how much fun it must have been with a bunch of singing drunks.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 06:42 AM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me old fashioned but sing it as written....and take your hat off.
lance

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-10-2004 07:27 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Claude and his feelings on the National Anthem. I also find it extremely disrespectful. I usually turn the sound off when it is other than traditional.

I also turn any program with Rosanne, off because of her disgraceful treatment of the Flag and Anthem several years ago in San Diego.

Yes Greg you can.

[ 02-10-2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Bob
(can I say that on here?)

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 09:46 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took have noticed that nearly everyone that sings the national anthem has to change it in some way or do something silly with part of it (usually the end). I usually end up at my parents' house on Sundays at lunch and they're NASCAR fans and I usually have to suffer through whoever murders the national anthem. You'd think with all the money the NASCAR folks have that they could find and pay someone to sing the national anthem without murdering it.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the way Beyonce' sang at the SUPER BOWL [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beyonce started out just fine, and I thought she was going to give it a respectful reading. But by the time the song ended, she was all over the scale and showing off her "pipes" by putting in little trills and runs that don't belong. It was not as bad as some, but still substandard.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: