Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rearranging DVD tracks

Author Topic: Rearranging DVD tracks
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the next few days, I have been given the task of taking four tracks from two DVDs and putting them in a certain order. They are songs put over video of nature scenes with the lyrics across the bottom.

I am on a Macintosh. This is the only computer I can burn the dvd on, and the one PC in our house isn't powerful enough to handle video.

I have used the disk copy utility to make an image of the first dvd on my hard drive. I have the Video_TS and Audio_TS files, as well as one called Recycler, which I'm assuming is the autoplay command.

Where do I go from here? I have iMovie and Final Cut Pro 3. Any other programs that I need, I would prefer to not have to pay for.

The DVDs I am using are for contemporary church services. There is church on three days. On the first day, they want me to have the four songs play just the instrumental, not the lyrics. they still want the lyrics readable on the screen.

(Each song has options to turn on the lyrics [sound], the lyrics [on the screen], the instruments, and the "clicker", which is a tapping noise so the band/singers [actual people, not from the DVD] can keep the pace)

For the other two services, they want just the lyrics [on the screen] and the clicker, which has to be on its own channel so that the drummer can hear it through headphones. It does already have its own channel as it is on the dvd.

I hope that this wasn't too painful and confusing to read, and would
greatly appreciate help!

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-10-2004 11:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The quickest and easiest way to do all of this is to simply re-record the video into FCP each way that you want the discs to turn out. But you're probably going to lose your 5.1 doing so.

Reverse engineering a DVD is not as simple as copying the files to your hard drive and changing the order. There are a variety of programs that you will need and none of them are available for the Mac. They also require a strong knowledge of DVD file structure and what commands make up each file and what each command specifically does and how they all interact. Without having the DVD in hand, there's no way to tell you how to go about doing what you want to do.

On the other hand, DVDXCopy may allow you to re-order chapters and maybe turn on/off subtitles, etc. But, again, it all depends on how your particular DVD is set up. It sounds like you've got some kind of karaoke thing going on, and I've never touched one of those discs.

Morbid curiosity could lead you to the forums at http://www.doom9.org

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I faced a similar situation early this year, if you can get TMPgenc DVD author (for the Mac), it should be easy to accomplish in Re-Author Mode, and from what I’ve tested, it should be lossless too.

30 days unrestricted download available.

If you need more than 30 days, and you can get a copy for the mac let me know

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-11-2004 01:50 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can purchase the software here.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-11-2004 08:27 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rip DVDs manually. I've tried a few of the automatic programs and have never really liked their results.

First, I use a program called OSEx to rip the DVD into its elemental streams. (An MPEG2 file and an AC3 file.) Then I use seperate programs to decode the streams into files that QuicTime, iMovie or Final Cut can handle.

mAC3dec will decode the AC3 into something you can work with.

MacMPEG2decoder will decode the MPEG2 into something you can work with.

After you get all the files ripped and decoded you can use whatever software you like to recombine the sound and picture back together and output in the format you choose.

Since you want to take the material on the DVD and recombine it in a different way, this might be the way to go for you. (If you're willing to take the extra time.)

It's a bit of a PITA to do things this way but you get more complete control over the results. Further, OSEx can break the CSS encryption on any DVDs that it encounters.

PS: I assume you have permission to rip someone else's material or you claim Fair Use.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-11-2004 06:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will not say it is easier to re-arrange tracks from a DVD on a PC. But there are more "freeware" resources out there to do so. Little programs like IFOedit and VOBedit can handle some of those tasks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: