Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Man Drives for Help With Shark Attached To His Leg

Author Topic: Man Drives for Help With Shark Attached To His Leg
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And after swilling 1000 yards back to shore. Now I've seen it all......!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/02/11/australia.shark.ap/index.html

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-11-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to read the faq about posting news links.

quote:

Swimmer drives with shark on leg

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Lifeguards at a beach post north of Sydney couldn't believe their eyes when a man walked in with a small shark attached to his leg.

Luke Tresoglavic swam 300 meters (1,000 feet) to shore, walked to his car and drove to the local surf club with the 60 centimeter (23 inches) shark biting his leg and refusing to let go.

"I just realized I had to swim in like that, hanging on to it," Tresoglavic told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio on Wednesday.

Tresoglavic, 22, was snorkeling on a reef off Caves Beach near Newcastle on Tuesday when a wobbegong, or carpet shark, attacked his leg.

"Once I got on to shore, a couple of people tried to help me, but I could not remove it. It was stuck there, so I got up into my car and then drove to the clubhouse, and luckily the guys down there had a clue what to do."

A senior lifeguard at the clubhouse, Michael Jones, said he couldn't believe his eyes when Tresoglavic turned up -- shark in tow.

"He basically asked the question: 'Can you help me get it off?' There's nothing in our procedure manual for that type of thing," Jones said.

The lifeguards flushed the shark's gills with fresh water, forcing it to loosen its grip on Tresoglavic's leg -- with blood oozing from 70 needle-like punctures. The shark later died.

"He's lucky he didn't get into difficulties in the water trying to swim with that thing thrashing around," Jones said.

But he said Tresoglavic remained in good spirits throughout the ordeal. "There was a side of humor to it," he said.

Tresoglavic was taken to hospital, but it was not immediately clear what treatment he received.

Wobbegong sharks can grow up to 3 meters (9.84 feet) in length, possess razor-sharp teeth, and are said to be moody and short-tempered.

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how you look at it....this guy is just plain cool. I scream like a baby if I get a leech on my leg. [Wink]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-11-2004 09:51 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's 'cause your from canada, hes from the land of Oz [Cool]

JJ

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea and I think about all the poisoness snakes and stuff they have down in OZ many which do not have any antidotes...and the croc man that handles all that stuff like they're toys or something [Eek!] !
Believe me, they only have wobblegongs in the land of OZ! No one else outside of OZ would name them something like that either [Wink] .
Mark

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that happened to a guy i went to high school with, he was standing in the water and felt something on his leg, he pulled up his leg and a sand shark was biting his calf muscle. he just pulled it off, no stitches were needed.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 05:21 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that happened at my local Beach.......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: