Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does anyone understand photoshop?

Author Topic: Does anyone understand photoshop?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-13-2004 12:07 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody I need some help!

I have just started my own film review website and I need someone to design me a graphic for the front page. I will of course credit you for the design and will very much appreciate it.

I am just starting out so I will not be able to pay but in the future I might be able to pay if I use you again and also it is good exposure for anyone who might be interested.

So if you are good on photoshop or what not. Please help me out.
Email me or send me a private message.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-13-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, Tom, Tom.

Read the FAQ and then go back and change your thread title before Joe Redifer dumps a giant Coke on your head.

EDIT:He changed it. Thanks Tom. (Always glad to help out the mods.)

[ 02-13-2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-15-2004 09:44 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an idea, albeit a stretch. How about a trailer to announce your website on the big screen?

Screen Attractions Custom Trailers

Then, I'll design your logo free of charge and it will coordinate with the film. A trailer will increase direct moviegoer traffic to your website, and you can sell targeted advertising to recover the cost of the trailer. Being a projectionist, it should be a simple matter to strategically place your trailer in the program... or offer a tradeout for the screen time, whatever.
[Big Grin]

Sorry, couldn't resist blatant plug. Might as well pile everyone's orders on, while we're doing a production run. In fact, if anyone needs a trailer made, let me know. Deadline for materials is 3/31/04. (Best prices going - that's because we make no profit!) [Razz]
[Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-15-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I understand PhotoShop. It's a PITA to use!

I just send all my stuff for editing to Joe for his expertise!

HA! Like I'll ever pay him the $16,384 I owe him... Dream on!

>>> Phil

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-15-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had visited my site at http://wwwclaudesphoto.com

All of the portraits and the majority of the other images there have had work done on them with the photoshop software and I have done it all myself. The work is fun but very time consuming. Take for example that pretty girl on my home page. She had more hair blowing in the wind that was out of place and I just removed them by cloning. The people in the family group in the center look, like they were sitting on the rock but the were actually sitting on wooden posing stools and these stools were visible in the original images I had captured with my professional digital camera. That first image on my Portrait page of the couple on the beach had a lot footprints in the sand but they were easily removed with photoshop.

-Claude

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-16-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Phil. It is a PITA to use if you try to get involved with what it can really do. I gave up on it moons ago because I have no real need for it in the stuff I do.

I only use the basic functions an idiot can understand. It is a very cool and powerful program.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-16-2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what I'd do without Photoshop. To me it is an essential program, easily worth the money. But the "updates" between versions are barely even noticeable! Either version 6 or 7 is fine. No need to buy the CS (8) edition.

I also am learning Adobe After Effects like no tomorrow. Another great and powerful program! Wow!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-16-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's lots of different specialties in professional computer graphics and they all have their own "killer apps," be it 3D animation, web design, print design, illustration, architecture, engineering, etc. Photoshop is the only app I can name that works as a useful tool for all of those fields. I've been using it for over a decade now and still figure out lots of new tricks.

Adobe After Effects is also a very powerful program. To describe it to non-graphics types I call it an animated version of Photoshop.

Be sure not to overlook Adobe Illustrator. You can bring AI-generated vector paths into both Photoshop and After Effects to unlock one hell of a lot of creative power.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-16-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've still got to learn how to trace images in Illustrator. I imagine it's simple. Then I can take those vectors and import them into 3D programs. After Effects is indeed like Photoshop for video.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2004 08:20 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the comments posted here about Photoshop --

I feel that nobody can ever really understand and appreciate everything that can be done with Photoshop any more than anyone could understand and appreciate what can be done with, say, the C Programming language.

In both cases, you have a basic set of simple tools that must be used together in a certain way, and in a certain order, to accomplish whatever ...

Being an expert Photoshop user isn't just a matter of knowing how to use all of the individual little tools, but knowing how to put them together to create desired effects. That's where the real talent is. (Just like writing a cool program is a lot more than know what if, while, and for statements do in C).

The nice thing about Photoshop is there is more than one way to do a lot of things, and different people may approach a problem in different ways. It is complex enough that nobody will ever master it or stop figuring out new tricks and better ways of doing things (just like programmers never stop finding new tricks, etc.).

I'm amazed at some of the things my friends have shown me -- involving using some of the tools in a non-intuitive way to create a cool effect when creating art.

Joe, I tend to agree about the updates. The updates shouldn't cost so much if they're going to come out with a new one every year. One that irked me a few years ago was the 5.0 to 5.5 to 6.0 within a short time period. I didn't upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0 -- I waited for 7.0 to come out before I did.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-19-2004 03:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, do you have the Meyer's book(s) on AE? They are great.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: