Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Internet Exploder problem

Author Topic: Internet Exploder problem
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-13-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When right-clicking to save an image, all of the available file types have disappeared... except bitmaps.

Any idea what I might have done to make this happen... or how I can get the jpg & gif options back? It's a REAL drag to have to start my old Netscape up just to save a picture.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your cache is probably full. See the Microsoft Knowledge Base article "Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format."
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 12:24 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just do a disc cleanup. It will find all the temp files internet related and win temp related files and delete them for you. You will be surprised in how much space your drive will free up if you have not done this for a while.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 01:58 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks... I'll check both.
Just to emphasize though... I am not even given the option. The only available format shown is BMP, where it used to make several formats available.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try to repair IE. You proceed as if to remove it, which of course you can't, and you have the repair option. You may need the original Windows CD, maybe not - regardless of whether IE is now a few versions newer than the one on the CD.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tao. I've seen that happen, .bmp being the only type a picture will be saved as. The cache is full.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-16-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. I'll get to that in the next day or two & report what I find.

Actually... I'm way past due to upgrade that computer... all my other ones are already on XP Pro. I've got a couple of DOS programs I haven't upgraded to Windows versions yet, & I haven't dared test the compatibility waters... since I'll be upgrading the software this year anyway. I did try upgrading once (to Win2000) & the computer was NOT pleased!

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 10:26 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flushing your temporary files from within IE will solve that problem. Back when I used IE regularly, it was a very frustrating thing to deal with.

Backing off on the size of the cache seemed to help, but didn't eliminate the problem completely.

The solution I came up with that solved that problem, and many other IE-related idiosyncrasies, was to use Mozilla. I still use IE from time to time, but haven't had much more than a need for testing and that random (poorly designed) web site that doesn't work without IE.

Mozilla will probably be much kinder to you on your older systems as well, as it's not as resource-piggish as IE.

Good luck!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 01:25 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it turned out to be... the cache! Wierd. Anyway, my .jpg is back. Thanks for all the advise!

Jack

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: