Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Barbie & Ken -- No Longer An Item. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barbie & Ken -- No Longer An Item.
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-13-2004 02:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be out-done by Bennifer, Barbie and Ken have decided to part ways.

Was any reason given for the breakup?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-13-2004 02:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this in the paper today. I think it's funny the way they refer to them as real people -- "Barbie has been seen at the beach hanging out with another guy," etc. Marketing at its best.

I wonder how long it will be until Barbie appears on Leno (via phone, of course).

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was absolutely shocked and have barely recovered. The world will never be the same.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-13-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame when you have to ask, but...

Really, Bob?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 03:10 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rather shocked by the news myself. I have a collection of 31 Ken dolls (OK, 3 of them are Blaines and 3 are a different kind, but all the others are Kens. They're on 2 of my shelves in my office and they're quite a conversation starter, since I'm maybe the only guy in town with a Ken doll collection in his office.

Maybe the Ken/barbie breakup will make the Ken dolls more interesting in the future. I have a few interesting ones, like the Halloween party Ken and Barbie, with the longest hair ever put on a Ken doll (past shoulder length!), and a Harley Davidson Ken with longish hair and leather. I also have the controversail one from 1992 or 1993 (Magic Earring Ken), which was said my many to be a gay Ken.

Maybe this breakup will allow Mattel to go in some interesting directions with the Ken doll product.

Here is a picture of the dolls from September 17, 2003. More have been added since.

-

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-13-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame when you have to ask, but...

Really, Evans?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Manny, it's true. I like Ken dolls and have been collecting them for 2-3 years. People react to them in different ways. Women seem to admire them when they see them on the shelf.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-13-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE!

Evans, you bring me such joy! [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-13-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I don't understand your "concern?" I'm sure there are 10's of thousands of men that like to play with Ken dolls. [beer] Most probably wouldn't admit it.

A perfect example would be Lord Dark Helmet in "Spaceballs". While not all of the dolls were male, he did still try to remain in the closet and hide them from others. [Wink]

About the breakup of Ken and Barbie, Mattel has said that the duo "will remain friends." HA! Yeah, where have I heard THAT before! [evil]

From the latest on the newswire, Mattel is now going to market Ken with Blaine. Their outfits will include tank-tops and shorts, levis and leather, speedos, and of course the accessories will include a "His-and-His" towel set and selected body piercings. [Razz]

Speaking of piercings, one time this dumbass said that piercings are a "gay thing". OH, PULEEEZE! How stupit! I think a sh!tload of straight men and women would be "shocked" to know that! JEEEZUS! [Frown]

(Now, did you want that ring in the left or the right ear lobe?)

>>> Phil

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Phil...no Prince Alberts? [Big Grin]

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just when you think you have seen the most useless Film-Tech topic... You guys never cease to amaze me.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-13-2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Why strive for useless posts when one can strive for an entire thread?

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 11:53 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You make a good point Adam. But why stop there? How about a whole worthless website? [Wink]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, what happened to the good old days when we used to have intellectual discussion about toilet seats and PB&J?

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-14-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this is a golden opportunity for Mattel to propel the Barbie "narrative" forward in an exciting direction.

Think of the new versions of Barbie and Ken that are on the horizon:

Barbie, dressed "responsibly" for divorce court.
Alimony Ken (the shock of suddenly being on a budget).

Personally, I think Ken was cheating. This calls for a new doll as soon as they figure out who his lover is.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: