Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Foreign cash conversion.

Author Topic: Foreign cash conversion.
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-17-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently looked into obtaining the projectionist training manual from BKSTS, that I think I heard about here. I enquired about the cost, but all they told me was £40 and £20.10 for the shipping. Does anyone know how much that is in US currency. Also, does anyone know if the manual is actually worth that amount.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 09:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to this currency conversion website, you're looking at US$114.42. As to whether it's worth it or not, if you're going to be training up a number of projectionists totally from scratch, it's probably quite a good investment. This manual does stick to the basics of film handling, projection and (to a lesser extent) equipment maintenance. So for someone just starting out in making up programmes, threading projectors, keeping things clean - that sort of thing - it's a useful reference tool. But all the hard core electrical, electronic and mechanical theory which the earlier version gave you has been more-or-less stripped out.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-17-2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Leo. I don't think that I will be purchasing the manual after all. I think that all the basics, like threading and cleaning can be obtained for free. I like the threading tips here on Film-Tech. I was actually looking for something more technical than that. Does anyone know of any technical manuals, or are hands-on training courses better.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard of a website called cine-tech or film-tech or something like that where you can download technical manuals. But you probably have to pay a lot for the downloads. Anyway, good luck in your search for manuals!

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-17-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael thank you so much for the info. What would I do without you. [Smile] I did not mean manuals for specific products, I meant a training manual that covered the overall technical side of the booth. Just like the ones that train projectionists in the basics, but one that goes into alot more detail, that can be applied to almost all the equipment out there. [Confused] Did that make sense now?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-18-2004 01:01 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BKSTS manual is quite nice, although I don`t know if I would buy it at that price, especially when all the sections Dr. Enticknap referred to have been removed. The handling tips available on this very website are actually quite comprehensive, so I don`t really think you need much more literature about the operational aspect. You should also check out Pytlak`s Practical Projection Pointers (written by John Pytlak, who also posts here once or twice a month) on the Kodak website, and there you will find a whole lot more helpful background info about film.
Apart from that, read the manuals! The Dolby manuals contain almost everything you never dared to ask about cinema sound, the DTS manuals are very comprehensive too and there is that really good DTS troubleshooting paper. I also find the projector manuals by Christie and Strong well written and readable, and they all contain practical troubleshooting charts.
Then there is a lot of books available everywhere and websites about elctronics which will help you deepen your understanding of how the stuff actually works. When I moved to the US, I looked for some literature to get myself acquainted with English terminology and standards. I found the "US Navy Electrical Engineering Training Series", a series of 24 books also available at a very affordable price on CD-ROM, very organized and readable material.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-18-2004 05:58 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot Michael, I will look into the Kodak site later today, and download some of the sound manuals from here as well. I have found the manual for our Ballantye projectors very helpful already. I had to use it the first day that I downloaded it, to fix the shutter timing that was causing ghosting. By reading some of the posts about the Ballantynes, I have a feeling that I will be using it quite a bit. Thanks again.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pytlak's Practical Projection Pointers on Kodak website

56 Back Issues of Kodak Film Notes for Reel People / Cinema Notes

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2004 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
PPPP's should all really be printed in a book of its own and sent to every theatre in the country [thumbsup] [thumbsup] !!

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. [Embarrassed]

The Kodak website has thousands of pages of helpful information, available worldwide at the click of a mouse. [Cool]

Kodak WorldWide Websites

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-19-2004 06:07 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links John. Highly appreciated. [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BKSTS manual is the first part of the current SMPTE one and if you purchase it you get them both

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: