Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » iTunes -- Missing Files! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iTunes -- Missing Files!
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-18-2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mac OS X 10.3.2
iTunes 4.2

Suddenly thousands of songs (from over 550 artists) have gone missing from my hard drive. The folders are all there but the actual files are gone.

Fortunately, nearly everything was backed-up but I'd really like to know what caused this so that I can avoid it in the future.

Has this happened to anyone else?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-18-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you burned any of the AAC-format files to CD? Doesn't iTunes limit where the files can be played and how many times you can burn them to CD before they "expire"?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-18-2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like iTunes is policing your system. It determines what is pirated and what isn't and gets rid of the pirated stuff. OK maybe (hopefully) not.

I have noticed that unless you set it up otherwise, iTunes really sucks. If you are listening to a song and press the DELETE key, it will not only delete the song from the playlist, but from the drive as well. The way iTunes manages its files is horrendous. Did you do a hard drive search for ".mp3" and see what comes up? 10.3 is a really goofy OS and it can do odd things like that as well.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can only burn the same songs/playlists to CD 10 times but, AFAIK, if you rearrange the playlists to make new ones (even if they are all the same songs in a different order) you can burn them another 10 times.

I have heard about some problems where iTune's LIBRARY files get corrupted or lost but I have never heard of an instance where the MP3 or AAC, et. al. files get deleted. (Unless you accidentally delte them yourself... I don't think you did that, though.) The library file is different than the actual music files. It only helps iTunes keep track of which songs are on your computer and the playlists you have made.

If iTunes tells you it can't find your music, the library file may be corrupted. Trash it and iTunes will create a new one the next time it runs. You'll have to tell the program where all your music files are and then you'll have to rebuild your playlists from scratch.

The most common instances where iTunes loses your music is when the files reside on a different volume/partition than the iTunes App. It can also occur when you reinstall/update the program.

Since iTunes now lets you make MP3 CDs as well as audio CDs backing up your files SHOULD be a lot easier. If you have an iPod you can also recover songs back to your HD from the iPod... PROVIDED you downloaded the songs to the iPod from the same computer in the first place.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-18-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use iPods so I don't burn CD's too much anymore. Besides, I have yet to make a CD with music I downloaded from iTunes. As far as that goes, I think the restriction is that you can burn 10 CDs of an entire album. Beyond that, you have to rearrange the songs. Something like that. In any event, it doesn't apply to my situation.

Interesting idea about the "iTunes Police" but I ripped these songs off my own CDs.

Also, these songs were still present in the iTunes display. Only the actual files had disappeared.

I suspect it is a problem with iTunes but here's something to think about:

Assuming there is a problem with the hard drive, what is the likelihood of hundreds of folders being emptied without the folders themselves disappearing, too?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-18-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repair permissions.

Run fsck -y

Run your daily, weekly and monthly scripts.

Replace the damaged johnson rod.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-18-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "johnson rod" is damaged? [Eek!]

I can replace it?

How cool! [thumbsup]

For real?

Very important fact that I forgot to mention: I discovered a folder called "lost+found" which contained a handful of iTunes files (in numbered folders). Not even close to what was missing, tho.

That "lost+found" folder makes me believe this is an iTunes "glitch gone wild."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah! One thing I forgot to mention. If you want to recover songs to your computer from your iPod, don't forget! If you have your iPod/System Prefs set to "Auto-Sync" your iPod and computer every time you plug it in to the FW port, things can be added or deleted before you get the chance to recover the music!

Turn that feature off before you start the recovery operation!

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-18-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hard drive has now crashed.

(There is a backup.)

What could have caused my main drive to crash?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 01:42 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What tells you that it's a HD crash and not a system conflict of some kind?

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode? (Hold the SHIFT key down upon cold boot.)

It will force a file system check and will boot up with minimum system and allow you to troubleshoot the problem. Check out this page at Apple.com for info on troubleshooting startup issues.

If that doesn't solve the problem you may need to use Disk Warrior to check/repair the hard drive. Apple's Disk Utility only performs basic checks and repairs.

If that doesn't solve the problem, an erase/re-install operation is in order. If that doesn't work, your HD may have, indeed, crashed. In that case, you'll probably have to send the computer back to the Mother Ship unless it's a problem you can handle yourself.

PS: When it comes to disk diagnostic & repair utilities, stay away from Norton! It's well known to fuck up more computers than it repairs. TechTool Pro is another option but public opinion leans toward DiskWarrior.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, after slogging through the above posts, I'll just stick to my good olde CD player and/or Victrola.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 06:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of good sources for all things i-tunes and i-pod...

iPodlounge

iPod Hacks

Sounds like your database file is corrupted. You should be able to reimport all the music if you can find the original DB file and trash it.

Steve Brown

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-19-2004 07:45 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a database issue because the files really did disappear off the HD.

I'm pretty sure that the drive crashed because it made funny mechanical sounds. Click, Click, Drrrrr, Click, Click, Drrrr......

It started making those sounds after I had restored the missing files. iTunes was in the middle of importing & analyzing the files when the crash occurred.

I quit iTunes and was about to try again when I got the first of two error messages. The first one 'dimmed' all my open windows and told me to reboot the computer, which I did. Then I got the second message saying that I had inserted a drive that could not be read! That was the external FireWire drive.

The system drive is okay. The drive with the iTunes files is an external drive. Come to think of it, I had to replace the iTunes drive last year; this is my 2nd HD for storing the MP3s and AACs; it's only about 6 months old.

Could the FireWire case be to blame? It was common to both drives.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-19-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first one 'dimmed' all my open windows and told me to reboot the computer, which I did.
That is a "Captain Panic" or "Colonel Panic". This is when the captain or colonel which is at the core of your system screws up. Usually it is an external peripheral issue, though Microsoft's Entourage e-mail program also bothers the captain/colonel. Maybe your external hard drive is screwed, or at least the firewire port. I've seen external firewire drives destroy ports before. I avoid external firewire drives like the plague that can be.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-19-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Pyro-1394 drive kit that destroyed one of the ports on my iMac. When it did this it also destroyed the bridge, and the drive itself.

Anyway, If your 6-month-old external drive came from a reputable company, It should be under warenty.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: