Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What will Mel do with Passion Profits? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What will Mel do with Passion Profits?
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Schindler's List was released, Spielberg said he considered any profits from the movie to be "blood money" and he didn't want to keep the money. So there are some Holocaust-related causes which have used money from the movie. It seems obvious that Mel Gibson's new movie will be highly profitable. But while he was making the movie right up until a few weeks ago, Mel Gibson must have been convinced the movie would be a flop... just a cathartic exercise in expressing his own convictions.

So, I'm wondering if Mel Gibson has announced an "appropriate" use of the profits from this movie. Of course, he doesn't have to tell anyone anything about what he plans to do with any money he earns legally (except, maybe, the I.R.S.). But did he say anything? Now that his critics realize they cannot stop the movie from being A) released and B) a blockbuster, have any of them criticized Mel Gibson over the idea of making a profit from "selling" his religious convictions?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-19-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had to risk his own jack to make it, so he deserves to reap the rewards. By the same token, no one [bs] on Spielberg for making Schindler's List.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time there was a serious question mark over whether the film would get any distribution at all, but this didn't deter him from going ahead with the production at his own expense. So morally, I don't have a problem with him pocketing the profits. That having been said, a lot of the people who will be seeing this film will not be doing so in the sense of buying an entertainment product, but as an expression of their religious belief. Perhaps that makes some sort of special gesture on Gibson's behalf appropriate.

One of the investments Spielberg made with the profits from Schindler's List was to establish the Steven Spielberg Jewish Film Archive at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. IMHO, Gibson could do a lot worse than to establish a similar organisation dedicated to preserving moving image heritage related to Christianity.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet he'll give a chunk of money to "The Friends of Bill W."

He was on TV last week talking about the movie and his past abuses with alcohol, etc. I'm sure he's "In the Program" and he appeared to be on a "Pink Cloud" when he was on TV.

I don't have a problem with him keeping the money... It was HIS work and HE laid out the smack to get it made. Still, I think he'll give SOME money to SOMEbody.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-19-2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like him to send all the money to me.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 06:16 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would you do with all that money, Michael? [Eek!]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 06:20 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~scs273/01.mov

The 3rd film from Mel Gibson:

Kill Christ

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 08:49 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he just makes his production company strong enough to say screw Hollywood some more and release pictures regardless of what the media tells him and us is right. If done properly he could very positively effect the film industry.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Persuade him that the time is right for The Second Coming...

...of 70mm!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got no problem with him keeping any profits.
He's done well with what he's made to this point.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would I do with all the money? I don`t really know yet. Probably the first thing I would do is import huge masses of Marzipan - incredible but true, people here don`t seem to know the best candy on the planet.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-20-2004 10:37 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, just a question - please don't get defensive. Why is it always "People here"? Is there anything good here? [evil]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means that the people here don`t eat Marzipan. I don`t understand your question.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marzipan with the 60% sugar and almond paste doesn't do well with an Atkin's diet [Wink] San Diego maybe a wasteland for marzipan but you can find it in Chicago, Boston and other cities.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's just a movie, who cares what he does with the profits, no one cared what he did the profits of Braveheart.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: