Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Print check screening systems

Author Topic: Print check screening systems
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-19-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious with the continual string of really bad movies we have been seeing for the last few years what each projection staff does to determine who screens what movies. (I am referring to theaters that actually do a pre-screening of the film before presenting it to the public as well as multiplexes in general.)

Does the booth manager pick the movie he wants to see, then everyone else is on their own to pick from what's left? Is the screening scheduled on a first come first served basis? Does your theater have a Mikey (that guy who will screen anything)?

We follow the "not it" system. As soon as we see a horrible trailer (like "Calendar Girls" or "Teenage Drama Queen") we call "not it" and then the other guy who didn't call it first is stuck watching it.

What works for you?

|  IP: Logged

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As General Manager, I get first choice to see it. Usually one of the other managers will watch it if it has any appeal at all.

I will admit (film-done-wrong) some prints with absolutely ZERO watchability (word?) get played without being screened. I will however build those prints personally to ensure they aren't damaged or built incorrectly. My theatre is a first-run, so most of these movies are brand-new and we may play a circuited print once every other month or so. We also have daily matinees with small turnouts for most of these undesirable films. I have yet to have a bad experience (knock on wood) with these films.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 03:17 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take my pick of what I want to see and then for the most part let everyone else pick and choose. I will make people screen a certain movie for different reasons. One example is to make things flow easier, if I have a 1hr 35min movie that will drop right around the time that a person's tear down drops then they will screen that.

On occasion there are "popular" (black) movies that everyone wants to watch, I just say that I need someone to take one for the team and screen these other movies or else everyone goes home and I screen them all myself.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 03:40 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally take first pick. From there, it's up to the booth staff and shift leaders to take care of the rest. And I have a 'Mikey'. I actually have two. [Smile]

Last night I took Eurotrip. Not as bad as the previews led me to believe it would have been. I wanted to see 'Girl Next Door' but confused it with 'Jersey Girl' and opted not to...

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-20-2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a separate ratings board here so all of our movies get screened by them!

I will personally build and screen a movie if it's expected to be a huge seller. Otherwise, a staff projectionist will build the print and the ratings people will screen it. The last print I built and screened was "Return of the King."

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy (gender neutral) who builds the print has first dibs on being the one paid to watch the print. One of our managers and both of the owners have no interest in watching movies at 3:00 AM so we never do. So then Casey and Sean take turns getting paid to verify a print. After that any staff member and their spouse equivalents are welcome to view the film with the afore mentioned manager. Most times it’s just the one person. Sometimes it's a few people. Our staff in encouraged to watch all films so that they are conversant on the film with the public.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: