Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The mighty General Grievous has arrived (SW:EP3) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The mighty General Grievous has arrived (SW:EP3)
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/publicity/news20040220.html

His presence has been whispered since Episode III production last summer at Fox Studios Australia, when Producer Rick McCallum hinted at "the new bad guy" during his online Hyperspace chats. With still a year to go until his big screen Episode III debut, the mighty General Grievous will see small screen action as part of the new installment of Star Wars: Clone Wars micro-series episodes.

"In Attack of the Clones, we saw that former Jedi Count Dooku was the political leader behind the Separatists movement and instigator of the Clone Wars," says McCallum. "In Episode III, we'll meet General Grievous, the military leader of all the Separatist armies. He's part alien and part robot. Grievous is a master strategist and the greatest hand-to-hand Jedi killer the galaxy has ever known."

-

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey this thread rates right up there with the Barbie and Ken thread [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually give less than a [bs] about the new Star Wars movies, but at this point in time (with just over a year to wait) didn't we already have the titles to the previous two?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-20-2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: WTF are you talking about? Ken rules!

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2004 11:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to agree, this movie will be crap and I couldn't possibly care less whether I see it or not. Just like how each sequel in a franchise gets worse, this one will be no exception. George will be trying as hard as he can to outdo his previous films, and that will kill it just like how Return of the Jedi and the Matrix sequels (among others) got boring because they tried so hard to outdo their predecessors.

Blah. [thumbsdown]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-21-2004 04:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it hadn't come from the official website, I would have thought it is a bad joke... Well, but then the whole prequel undertaking so far was a bad joke.
"General Grieveous"? Will Daisy Duck also make an appearance? Can I sue George L. for mental cruelty?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-21-2004 09:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were General Grivas, I would sue.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure that he would have used General Motors if that hadn't already been used in Loaded Weapon 1. I posted this thread not because I thought that anyone would care (I sure as hell don't) but because of the whole "it is so sad it's funny" kind of thing.

It makes me wonder if old George really even cares anymore (if he ever did). I just get a kick as to what stuff like this does to his loyal fans. Kind of how everyone expected that EP:2 would be called "The Clone Wars" and then were dismayed when the real title came out. Just how can anyone get excited about a character named "General Grievous"? The real life drama as far as what he is doing to his fan base is far more entertaining than any of the movies will ever be.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 05:10 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Lucas should be called "General Greedy" from now on. [thumbsdown]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-22-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always appreciated George Lucas's propensity to see beyond boundaries. He's probably done more than any single person to advance the state-of-the-art in filmmaking.

But, I've got to wonder about his choice of character names. Isn't one named for theatre candy (Ju-Ju Bees)?

Names that evoked giggles on first-hearing:

Leia Organa (lay her/orgasm?)
Han Solo (a lone hand job?)
C3PO (see him do WHAT?)
Chewbacca (chew tobacco?)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (a city in West Virginia)
Boba Fett (isn't that one of Matt Groening's strips?)
Darth Maul (oh, please)
Yoda (heard in the Swiss Alps, or with accordians)

And, what happened to Princess Leia's fake British accent? She lost it after the second act, for the rest of the series.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
George will be trying as hard as he can to outdo his previous films
I can't wait to see what will be cuter than the ewoks!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-23-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a creative standpoint, I think George Lucas owes much of his earlier successes to the fact that he was working within the context of the studio system which forced him to develop his ideas until they could get past certain gatekeeping mechanisms.

I suppose he might disagree but I believe those people helped Lucas make better movies.

Times have changed. Nowadays, the only opinion that matters is his own. What we are seeing now is more representative of the kind of movie he would have made back then, were it not for the collaborative nature of the process which broke his spirit.

George has discovered a way to enjoy a kind-of parallel existence. This is the George Lucas that might have been. These are the STAR WARS movies that could have been. Would we have cherished these movies? I suppose we would have.

I suspect that the backlash against the new movies is really based on a sense of desecration -- not of the original movies but, rather, our memory of them. Our enjoyment of those movies came out of the historical context in which they appeared. With the exception of "The Empire Strikes Back," the movies themselves are not truly as great as most of us would like to remember.

If George had made "The Phantom Menace" back in 1977 there would likely be millions of fans of Jar-Jar Binks. It's possible that we would have rejected Chewbacca by the time "A New Hope" emerged.

Thankfully, George's career is about more than just the movies he made. I would argue that his technical contributions more than make up for any of his aesthetic transgressions.

The industry on the whole owes a debt of gratitude to George Lucas for his vision of what was possible and for his commitment to realizing those notions.

ILM has revolutionized the field of visual effects TWICE (traditional and digital). Despite the present decline in status (among industry insiders) the THX program is responsible for the improved levels of showmanship that audiences are enjoying today -- even in non-THX houses. Didn't Pixar originate with Lucasfilm?

In a very real sense, George Lucas has touched and improved every movie. (Ironically, the obvious exception would be the original STAR WARS trilogy as it exists today.)

But to fully understand and appreciate George Lucas one must also bear in mind that he developed a great portion of his wealth thru ancillary markets. The original STAR WARS movies sold more than tickets, it sold toys. Those toy sales resulted in a hefty payoff for Lucas.

The trend continues.

EPISODE I helped sell the SA-10 EX Surround adapters and Lucas tried to use EPISODE II as the catalyst that would jump-start the dCinema revolution. It didn't work and he's gone so far as to essentially threaten theatres to commit to dCinema or they won't get EPISODE III. Lucasfilm helped develop the Dolby EX format and I recall reading (late 1990s) that there was a connection between Lucas and Qualcomm which was/is a player in the dCinema movement.

It is therefore impossible for me to look at these new films and evaluate them on their own merit. In any event, that would be too easy: Lucas has committed great injustices to the fans of his original movies. In the first instance, we have the less-than-special "Special Editions" which have unfortunately supplanted the true originals. And in the second instance, we have the emptiness and shallowness of the prequels.

If we regard these outings as a means to an end, we can see that they are qualified successes.

The EX format was not a resounding success and the dCinema revolution has yet to happen. So on those levels, the movies can be regarded as failures.

Still, they sold a ton of movie tickets, toys and DVDs along the way. There is no question that these films were commercial successes. And, like them or not, we happily went along and essentially financed those Special Editions by standing in line to buy tickets...and the upcoming DVDs are going to be HUGE sellers.

On that point, I find it interesting that so many people continue to drink from a well that they consider to be poisoned. As a manipulator of consumer culture, I'd have to say that Lucas is one of the best!

If the original series ever sees the light of day -- in theatres and/or on DVD -- it's going to be pandemonium all over again!

[ 02-23-2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Manny Knowles ]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'Classic' trilogy will be available on DVD (4 disc set) in September. [Big Grin]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-23-2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bite your tongue!

Those will not be the "classic" editions. They will be the 1997 Special Editions.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-23-2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it`s very simple: the original movies basically looked like everything was real. That made the fascination, plus the interwoven motifs from fairy tales, myths, westerns, knight movies etc. But most of all the feeling of seeing something that is real. There are millions of movies which take you to places far away and long ago, but most of them do not create this illusion and therefore the fascination.
"Star Wars" was not really made in the context of a studio system. He had to get the financing greenlighted, but then he was free to pick his crew and the movie was also filmed in England far away from Hollywood.
George showed with these movies that he was a master filmmaker because he managed to fit all these elements together seamlessly. I would have thought it would be no problem for him to create prequels which are movies of our time, but somehow fit stylistically with the original ones. But he really failed completely and miserably.
I think the main problems with the new trilogy are: that everything looks fake and equally or even more importantly: these films do not have a sense of discovery at all. It could have been so fascinating to explore where all the characters and story elements come from and how they - finally - come together. But instead, we are shown a very small world in which all the characters are basically there from the start, like in a TV series. The young Greedo, Boba Fett, the 2 droids etc., they are all there. That is really idiotic and completely destroys the sense of exploring a big mysterious universe.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: