Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A Goody Goody in High School (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: A Goody Goody in High School
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 02-26-2004 01:02 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know this is another self indulgent thread. But the point is I want to know what you all were like in high school. It would be fun to read the stories.

"Were any of you a goody two-shoe in high school or a trouble maker?"

Looking back at my yearbook a few weeks ago I realized I was a goody goody. I was in a bunch of clubs and the arts. Being chosen a "Senior Leader" by the faculty was kind of a surprise, because I didn't really think I impacted the school that much. Senior Leaders was composed of 24 students out of about 400 seniors. The best of the best from every cliche, organization, etc. From the athletes, cheerleaders, musicians, salutatorian, computer techs, ROTC, artist, etc. It was really fun, we got to do skits, outtings, parties and impact our school in some way.

I never really had to suck up to any teacher. I seemed to hang out with everyone, it didn't matter what social class or race they were. Alot of aquiantances in high school, and alot of good friends. Always a "high five" while I walk down any hall. It was funny how I never had to really study for anything and managed to be on the honor roll. Besides the fact that my closest friends were really smart (and no, I didn't cheat off of them).

On the somewhat trouble-maker side, I got fed up with my art teacher. Having the same teacher for 3 years in a row sucks. We were cool at first but it got to the point where I was tired of being friendly with her just to be considered a good artist. So I just slacked off and talked to everyone in the class. I would walk around to every table and just start conversations with people just to get the teacher pissed off. Because she knew perfectly well that the class loved me.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-26-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! You're not allowed to declare the thread pointless, that's Phil's job!

You're only allowed to state that it's self indulgent!

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 02:39 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Bender from Breakfast Club was my hero, the man I strove to be.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a nerd in high school. Come to think of it, I'm still one. I think I grew into my nerd-ness.

The most trouble I ever got into in school was in the 5th grade. I ordered something called the "Amazing Hypno-Coin." It was a 2" plastic disk with a swirling pattern on it, that came with a booklet that told how to hypnotize people. I became the local hypnotist and was putting all my classmates in a trance at my house after school, during lunch hour, etc. My mom and dad were at work and had no idea any of this was going on.

I don't know to this day if my hypnotic talents really worked or not -- probably not -- but I gave a bunch of my friends "post hypnotic suggestions" where they would jump out of their chair upon hearing a certain word, or run around the room screaming at a certain time, or everyone would throw their books on the floor when the bell rang, etc. The other kids probably just "played along" and then told the teacher they couldn't help themselves due to my "post hypnotic suggestion." Whatever, it caused quite a chaos in my classroom.

Eventually people started making bogus cardboard "hypno-coins" and my whole class was hypnotizing each other. I had started quite a revolution, for a few days at least.

After a while, someone told their mother that people were being hypnotized at school, so I got a personal visit at my house from the principal, and was told if I didn't cut it out, I would be expelled. The whole thing sort of shook me up to the point that I never got in much trouble after that.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 03:23 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Primary School (age 5-12) I had my own seat outside the headmasters office for a lot of the time.

Secondary (12-18) I'd grown up a bit, not really trouble maker, not a nerd either. I was defintely rebellious I suppose. I was that kid arriving with the motorbike or the car, the leathers etc. S5 I got promoted to being a prefect and suddenly felt compelled to wear uniform, and S6 they made me deputy head boy, to this day I don't know why.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 04:17 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to school to eat other Peeps lunches , apart from that I guess I was a goody , I can remember hiding and running home when I was due to go to the murder house [scream]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-26-2004 06:24 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I slept through most of high school. If I wasnt sleeping, I was probably making smart remarks in the back of the class. Still managed to make fairly good grades though. Was not in any clubs or sports or anything like that, just a ruthless gang. Just kidding. I wasnt really interested in anything that was gonna have me at school any earlier or any later than I already was.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-26-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very popular in school, all the girls wanted me to be their boyfriend. That's probably what helped me to be the fastest runner that my school ever saw. The Beatles had nothing on me. I was trim and could outperform anyone on the field or in baseball. That is, until we moved and I had to start in the middle of the year at another school where I knew no one. There, I got [bs] on and grew bitter until I hated all people. After serving my prison term, I developed a small circle of cohorts and we terrorized the rest of the community until I lost my virginity.

Then, I became a nerd and ran all the classroom films. My reputation developed such that other teachers would take me out of class to go fix their projectors. [Cool] I became cool again, however, when I got a Trans Am and landed a job as chief projectionist at the Sky-Vue drive-in, in 1978. I was such a good operator at the drive-in that they wrote about it in the newspaper, the constable expunged my record, and until today, no one knew the difference. [Razz]

Me, at said drive-in, in 1978 (note, cool blue jean jacket and Bee Gees hairstyle - Trans Am was parked outside):
 -

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got bored easily in high school. I would always challenge the teacher's concepts,, especially since I was in a Catholic Hgh School... there was no way I was gonna let myself be brainwashed! The teachers didn't hate me, though. One good example was my mechanical drawing class, which I literally did nothing for nearly the entire first quarter... nothing at all except draw comics that were unreleated to anything. One day the teacher politely told me that I might want to start getting to work. So I did. I ended up proving some of the teacher's drawings wrong and of course I got an A in the class. The next semester I had Architectural Drawing and it was the same story and the same teacher. I also got A's in art related classes, but average grades in the rest. I failed religion many times and I am damn proud of that! No brainwashing! I'll make up my own mind. I also had a hard time with a priest teaching a class devoted to "Sex and Marriage". He would require that we get the answers correct word for word on the tests, so it was memorization and not actual learning.

As far as status goes, I wasn't the coolest kid and I wasn't the geekiest. I guess I was pretty popular since I could make everyone laugh and had the balls to stand up for myself. But girls weren't exactly jumping all over me... probably because we only had 40 people in my entire class. Slim pickin's. [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-26-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As anyone who knows me now would guess, I was a typical geek. I got OK-to-decent grades, had a small group of close friends, and spent many hours in the library reading everything but what was required for my classes. I was (and am) generally shy around groups of people.

The only time I got an "A" in anything art-related was for a short 16mm film that I made in the 10th grade (and even that was more for the effort than for the quality of the final product). I also made a short documentary on our senior class, which I look forward to using as blackmail material at my 10th reunion next year. [evil]

I believe I was the first student at my school to "surf" the then-new World Wide Web, too.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-26-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't a geek, or a loner, or at all popular...I don't know what I was. I had friends, not too many, not too few. Sometimes I'd have a lot of people to hang around with and sometimes no one... Hmmmm, yeah.

I was the Vice President in our Band (Which sucked, BAD), on the Rifle Team, in MCJROTC (Marine Corps Junior ROTC) - Sergeant, First Pitcher on our Softball team, played on the Freshman Basketball team, was in the chorus, and in an outside Junior Professional Chorus (CASYC), also in an outside of school Candlepin Bowling League. I think thats it.

I was just me, not really a label. Got good grades in ROTC, Band, and any art classes - anything else I was lucky to pass.

I got in trouble A LOT in Band and ROTC and was a goody two shoes in most of my other classes. Basically the fun classes I was a brat in. Also skipped school for 2 months straight which lead me to get my GED instead of high school diploma (that was the dumbest thing I've EVER done although I am eligible to get my actual High School diploma because my scores were so high on my GED, not sure if I'm going to though. I didn't really earn it.). That's me, now I'm going back to secondary school starting in April (if you count cosmetology as secondary school). [Big Grin]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 04:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was bored in High School. My mind would wander and I would daydream a great deal. I certainly wasn’t engaged. I went to a very small private school that had 1st through 12th grades. There were 135 kids in total. Pete Olsen and I were the largest so when we would play touch football he and I were always facing each other on the scrimmage line.

Sometime during my sophomore year the school was sold to this outfit called Accelerated Learning Systems that basically helped under achieving or problem kids get through school. There was a lot of learning at your own pace and what would you like to study going on. As a result I totally tuned out and smoked a lot of pot. I didn’t go to school in the afternoons my junior year. Lunch consisted of a mason jar of vodka and a joint.

One of my teachers figured out that I only needed 3-credits to graduate. He set up a tutorial school in Boulder called Boulder Educational Support Services Incorporated (BESSI). I studied with him for 4-months my senior year in order to graduate.

In High School I had no luck with girls. There were too few of them and they all knew me too well. I would always end up offending some girl and them be mortified for a month. I think it was from these experiences that I found my great loathing for the game of finding romance.

I felt that I missed out on some big High School experiences like organized sports, a good theatre group, music, and chemistry. I always fantasized about going to a larger high school. But I was of the mind-set that probably wouldn’t have taken advantage of any of it.

After High School someone meeting my mother told her that Ian was a nice kid but didn’t go out of his way to engage with other people. This is probably true today as well.

I was always making friends with the weak and scrawny kids. I had no use for the “jocks” and although I was a mild stoner, I certainly didn’t hang out with the “freaks.” I would usually pick one friend and hang out with that person till they got sick of me.

Then as now, I would try to use my dry sense of humor to win over the crowd. Some people saw that as condescending. I was teased a great deal and picked on. That is surprising due to the fact that I was always bigger than everybody else. It took me a long time to toughen up my skin and stop taking offence.

After I graduated I got a job at a sign shop. I flourished there. After six months I went off to collage and it was so exciting. I couldn’t get enough; it was like drinking from the fire hose. The social bullshit was better; the professors treated the students with respect. The classes were interesting. There were things to do and people to do them with. I thought ‘Shit, I could have been doing this two years ago.’ I did really well my freshman year of collage.

Most of my friends tell me that their High School experience was excruciating and a burden to get through. They all mostly enjoyed the collage experience. The only people I know who loved High School are the ones with exuberant personalities who always seem to be having fun.

God, this post is like therapy. Thanks Doc, I feel so much better now.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-26-2004 04:47 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Daryl, by the power vested in me, I hereby declare this thread: POINTLESS.

BUT!!!! I will post my "history" for yous to laugh and point at me and make me feel bad.

Like Joe, I went to a Catholic school and was completely turned off by "their" BS and the attitude of "You're-going-to-hell-if-you-have-sex-one-more-time. This time, you're forgiven my son if you tell me everything in explicit detail, oh and then say 5 Hail Mary's."

"Yes Father, I was an innocent young thing that was seduced. I had NO idea of how..."

As a result I only went thru the 8th grade. I hated school! I never studied, and would fart out-loud during class at the "appropriate" times. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in the Principal's Office.

The only class I enjoyed was the "Hands-On Sex Ed" one taught by Father Jebedaiah Mayii.

Since I had no education, and only my good-looks as a youth, I went to Hollywood. I earned my $ early on by selling myself for sexual favors to old men and Priests. As a result, I'm pretty well set now and don't have to work. [beer]

Remember, whether you're in professional sports, or the "profession", make you're money while you're young. Youth fades, and is replaced by even more youths. [Wink]

If I had it all to do over again, I would. [thumbsup]

>>> Phil

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok well I'm sure the real reason that JP opened this thread is because of what I wrote in Bobby's corrupted sports thread and she wants to know what I was like in high school.

I was an in between kind of kid. I didn't hang out with any type of crowd. I wasnt as much of a loner then as I am now. I was just some guy in the hall.

I was somewhat on the not so goody goody side. I found it repugnant that we were forced into school like cattle into a slaughter house. In the Mesquite independent school district code of conduct handbook there was a line stating that males were required to have short hair to make them "productive members of society." Something to that tune. Of course this was at the same time that they were telling us that everyone, regardless of appearance, is equal and forcing us to celebrate black history month.

I'm not going to get into detail about anything but I spent a lot of time in the office for not following dress code, spouting racial slurs, and not agreeing with everything that was being crammed down my throat. In short, no I was not a goody goody but at least I wasnt a jock.

If I had it to do all over again, if I could go back to 2000 and be 16 once more....I would probably go to Phil's school and have sex with more catholic school girls, just for the uniforms, not for the catholocism.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-26-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't a "goody goody" in high school. I'm not sure what the hell I was. I played some sports, which is kind of cool I guess. I wrote and illustrated a lot for the "Inklings" school journal and was in the orchestra, all arguably nerdy things. But then I and my friends regularly got hold of beer, Barcardi 151 and other kinds of contriband on the weekends and risked getting into quite a bit of trouble. Nothing violent, just typical rebellious risk taking pushing the edge of the legal envelope.

I attended Quantico High School, aboard the Marine Corps base in Quantico, VA. There were about 350-400 students for grades 7-12. My senior class had around 22 students. Because of the high academic standards, many kids would transfer out to Potomac High School where it was a lot easier to get good grades.

The nice thing about a small high school is its impossible to be a "nobody." That can also be a bad thing. I was just a little skinny guy but I had to play football, which got the hell beaten out of me.

I suppose I would have only been considered a wimpy nerd if I didn't have my electric guitars and formidable art talents. I was always the best artist in every school I attended. At least I was until I got into School of Visual Arts in New York. Then I was around a lot of people just like me and the teachers (all working professional artists) didn't give a shit and tore egos apart.

Still, art and music talent didn't help me at all with the ladies. Most of my guy friends in high school had it just as bad. You can't win over a female classmate when you have no car, just a little money and 20 year old guys in college or the Marines are grabbing up those same female classmates.

As a result, I didn't go to any of my proms. I didn't feel like paying a big cover charge to stand by the wall and watch the girls dance with dates that didn't go to my school. Screw it. We had our own anti-prom bonfire beer blast party in the Breckenridge woods near the FBI Academy. None of us got laid, but we had a great time anyway.

type-oh edited

[ 02-27-2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Bobby Henderson ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: