Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oscar 2004 -- Complete Reporting "As It Happened" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Oscar 2004 -- Complete Reporting "As It Happened"
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-29-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fire up your laptop or move your TV closer to your computer coz this year we're all gonna record our moment-by-moment reactions to this year's Oscars ceremony!

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-29-2004 07:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You lie! Only some of us will.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-29-2004 08:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Crystal's opening number was, as expected, highly produced. One of the first gags involved him setting up a video camera to pirate a film from the big screen. The intro montage was structured as a sendup of a typical movie preview and, as usual, included clips from nominated films with Billy inserted into the various scenes. The funniest of these was when he appeared nude, shocking both Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton.

The musical number by Crystal was generally wonderful, but uneven in terms of effectiveness. The tributes to "Mystic River" and "Lost In Translation" were the high-points.

Tim Robbins acceptance speech (for his role in "Mystic River") was an overlong laundry list of people to thank, ending with a few heartfelt words of encouragement and support to victims of violence.

Robin Williams & Billy Crystal were great together. "Look! We're a San Francisco wedding cake!" and "This is the reason for our 5-second delay" (as Williams pulls his jacket aside, exposing a breast).

Robin Williams was SCANDALOUS alone, severely lampooning Michael Eisner and declaring Pixar as being "formerly of Disney."

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-29-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Jack Valenti has a sense of humor about the video pirating joke. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That last commercial was stupid.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-29-2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" has won 2 Oscars so far tonight. The first was for set design and the second was for wardrobe. It's 2 for 2 for "Rings" and the last chance for the Academy to honor the massive trilogy directed by Peter Jackson.

Cute little 'bit' by host Billy Crystal. Favorite films of headliners:

Martha Stewart's favorite film: "Runaway Jury"
Hillary Clinton: "Kill Bill"
Saddam Hussein just likes "Holes."

Speaking of commercials. The American Express commercial featuring Martin Scorcese was cute. In the ad, he critiques birthday pictures, ultimately deciding that a reshoot is necessary.

I did not see "Cold Mountain" so I have to ask: Did Renee Zelwegger *really* win tonight for "Cold Mountain" or is this a so-called 'makeup' award?

In any event -- a terrific acceptance speech, honoring (among others) Tom Cruise for showing her that kindness and success were not mutually exclusive. Loved the line (thanking someone else) who "clapped loudest" and another who "dared to dream bigger and better than I could ever dare."

(I love dear Renee but why does she always look swollen and shiny?)

The tribute to Bob Hope (presented by Tom Hanks) was touching. My heart was so full I had to loosen my bra.

Hilarious gag with Owen Wilson (dressed in tuxedo) and Ben Stiller (appearing in his 'Starsky' costume) to present the awards for Best Live Action Short and Best Animated Short.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone planning the Oscars need to do some elementary math. If they are only going to show us 5-20 second clips from the winning movies, then why must we sit through an entire performance of the nominated songs?

It's all about percentages.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-29-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alison Kraus and Sting performed the nominated song "You Will Be My Ain True Love" from "Cold Mountain." It will be a shock if this haunting (somewhat sleepy) tune takes the award, but anything is possible.

Best Song nominee "Scarlet Tide" (also from "Cold Mountain") was performed by Alison Kraus. It's really a lovely song (much better than the previous one) but "Into The West" (performed by Annie Lennox) is similar-sounding and superior and I'd love to see it take the Oscar tonight.

The songs were introduced by an apparently medicated and goofy-looking Liv Tyler. What's up with the glasses and hair? She looks like Morticia from "The Addams Family."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
oops...double post. please delete

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way, Morticia never had anything but dead straight hair.

I dug the what your are thinking bit.

And so far LOTR is undefeated.

Did anyone else notice that the clip of the costumes were all from Fellowship tho?

Blake Edwards, best entrance Since Jack Palance the year after he won for City Slickers.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-29-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you people actually watching that stupid show?

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, Are you actually reading about us watching this show?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-29-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This should have been done in the chat room with the log turned on and then we could have just posted a big long chat transcript, including the part where Will comes in and insists that he saw it in 70mm.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-29-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Crystal's mind-reading gag was...filler.

Visual Effects award went to the team responsible for "LOTR 3" presented by Will Smith and wife Jada.

Academy Sci-Tech Awards (presented on Valentine's Day) went to DigiDesign (ProTools) and others -- I think these awards were covered in greater detail in an earlier thread.

Jim Carrey appeared (bald and multi-ethnic) to intro the Blake Edwards tribute. The montage was followed by an outrageous stunt in which a 'wheelchair bound' Edwards hurtles past Carrey and right through a wall on the opposite side of the stage. The 90-second speech was personal and well-formed but was marred by awkward pauses.

I wasn't going to watch but since my mom has it on -- and I'm incredibly bored -- I thought this might be fun. (I was wrong.)

Bill Murray's intro to the "Lost In Translation" clip proves that he still possesses his impeccable sense of comic timing.

Achievement in Makeup -- a relatively new award, intro'd in the 80s -- went to "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King." Moments later, Sandra Bullock and John Travolta presented the Oscar for Sound Mixing to "Rings," which was undefeated until "Master and Commander" took the award for Sound Effects Editing.

Billy Crystal: "It's now official. There's nobody in New Zealand left to thank."

Julia Roberts (breathtaking with glowing blonde hair) presented a well-edited montage tribute to Katharine Hepburn, who passed away during the last year.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm Manny, LOTR3 was not nominated for the sound effects editing award. Instead it went to the undeserving Master and Commander.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: