Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The new nickel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The new nickel
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 04:13 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What’s wrong with the old nickel? Does this new nickel work the same or does it have some new powers?
Why are they designing these new coins? Why are we spending tax money on design & advertising for the new coins? I can understand making new bills every so often because of counterfeiting but I just don’t see people counterfeiting nickels & quarters, and if they are they are just bad entrepreneurs! What’s the logic behind these news coins?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, what Nate said! Why do they fuck with the money? It ain't broke so don't fix it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite fiasco was the fact tha the US Treasury Department felt the need to spend $32 million to promote the new $20 bill. WTF? Why would they need to promote something that people already want? I'm glad to see that my tax dollars are hard at work.

[Mad]

Also, I don't see how changing the bill design would foil counterfeiters, since there's no reason not to counterfeit the older (and easier to copy) designs.

Is there any "official" justification for changing the coin design (other than the year designation, which of course needs to be incremented each year).

[Confused]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-05-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replacing bills works since you won't see many of the older bills after a couple years since paper bills have a lifetime measured in months, not decades (like coins).

A few years after the replacement, any significant amount of (old bill) counterfeits will be pretty suspicious.

Promotion is necessary to point out the security features so people know what to look for and to make people aware that there is a new bill. Back when the $2 coin first came out, some lady who must have had her head in a hole in the ground refused to take my "fake coin". I guess they should have spent a little more on promotion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 02:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the need is for the new nickel. The quarters, however are a masterpiece of marketing. By the time this is done, there will be millions of dollars worth of quarters sitting in collections...pure profit for the gov't.

In Montana, they're doing a similar thing with car license plates. For $4000, your nonprofit organization can design its own custom license plate. The state charges a $25 premium for the special plates, of which $20 goes back to the non-profit org. Result: There are now about 40 different Montana license plates some of which are quite beautiful.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The design of the new nickles is only temporary to commemorate the April 30, 1803 Louisiana Purchase and the 200th anniversary of the Lewis & Clark Expidition. From what I had read in news reports, the US mint will issue two coins with different designs. The face side will still feature the profile of Thomas Jefferson and the other side featuring his home will be replaced with two other images dipicting the purchase agreement and the expidition.

Personally, I do not feel there is anything wrong for the government to issue commemorative coins from time to time. Like the current 50 state quarters, there have been other limited issue coins in the past.

-Claude

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on Fark they have photoshop contest everytime a new quarter comes out, pretty funny stuff the farkers do.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new nickel to commemorate the Louisiana purchase? What the hell? Was Louisiana purchased for only a nickle or something? If so, they got ripped off. Louisiana sucks!

When they redesign money to commemorate me, it had better be a $500 bill or something!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-05-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, they will NEVER make an idol in your image...

I can think of a few people (FT users?) that should appear on the new $3 bill... [Razz]

Just my 2-cents...

>>> Phil

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, Jefferson is on the face of the nickle. His administration oversaw both the Louisiana Purchase and the L&C expedition. so they are linking it to his image not the value.

Good god why am I responding to a humor based post with a serious response

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-06-2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has, as almost all the "phony" american fun.money I´ve seen, a very specific serialnumber. Not speaking the English language from birth, I remember when first being shown this combination (though at that time leaving out two numbers who look alike upside down) on a Van Halen album. I thought it was hilarious, still do, so much for growing up [Razz]

Then there was the other Van Halen record with the title: "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" which took some deciphering as well. Already as a kid I was in to codebreaking.

As American money goes they somehow always seemed lacking in imagination. The same size and colour (bills) which would be hard for those who have trouble with their vision, but to each his own. I´ve had trouble with the danes tendency to have all money in coins. Terribly frustrating.

Swedish National Bank for those who want to see Swedish money. Nothing new lately apart from updating the year and the kings receding hairline (Republic!! Any day now!! Or maybe not)
//Gunnar

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does sex have to do with marijuana?

[Confused]

=TMP=

P.S. I see you miss the political forum, too, Dave [Frown]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-07-2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that supposed to be Bill Clinton on that $bill? If so, that is by far the worst drawing of him that I ever have seen.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-07-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nickel is a nickel. 5 cents. Why do they want to screw with it? The old nickel works great! It still buys practically nothing. It is getting as worthless as a penny.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: