Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Passion of the Christ Threads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Passion of the Christ Threads
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-06-2004 02:04 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK folks, I think it's unanimous that there are a sufficient number of Passion of the Christ threads for people to post just about anything you can imagine in.

So don't open another, just pick from the ones open so far:

Film Handlers' Forum
Ground LevelFilm-YakFilm Handlers' Movie ReviewsFeature Info and Trailer AttachmentsBob Maar's Joke-A-Thon

|  IP: Logged

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear mr O´Shea I do believe you missed one: this one, being a meta-thread on all the others, but your might not have intended a complete list, more an illustration of the state of Passion or something In that case sorry for this post. Please don´t ban me. [Smile]
Interesting that this film has illuminated almost all sides of film on this forum. I bet there would have been at least one thread in the political forum as well. All that´s lacking would be if it introduced some new sound format or screen ratio. Then I bet there would be 10 times more posts.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A thread about threads. I love it! Sort of like The Award Awards

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and the old Bertrand Russell paradox for those interested in logic/philosophy.

All we need now is another thread about this thread. But then the moderators will kill someone. We´ll just keep this one going...

It´s also similar to what in Sweden is moms, in UK VAT and in the States I don´t know, but a tax on tax.

I´d imagine recording a sampler, as in many hip-hop songs would also be sort of a meta-thing.

(Not to mention methanol or methadon [Wink] )

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-06-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is Gunnar talking about? And what's this "Passion of the Christ" everyone's talking about?

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to talk about meta things. Taking one step back and discussing the very thing that is up for discussion. I´d imagine the most relevant example, apart from this thread, is language. We speak it, but sometimes we need to speak about it, like grammar or what things can´t be said, and we could use another language to talk about talking about languages. Instead we have a meta discussion. Examples like that one was what I tried to find. I´m rambling or at least feel like I´m not making sense, and that sometimes happens. All the beer tonight can´t have anything to do with it I´m sure. (It must be the wine)...

The Passion of the Christ seems to be some rather large file on the Internet I´m still trying to download, God willing [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to add this thread to the list, but I didn't know the thread number when I first created the post, and it took half an hour to process the post... apparently UBB doesn't like a whole bunch of links within list tags. I wasn't going through that again by editing the post.

quote:
Yes, and the old Bertrand Russell paradox for those interested in logic/philosophy.
Suiting since I go to the same school he did, and live within a stones throw of the Bertrand Russell Archives.

Anyway...

Film-Yak

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it got mentioned in a couple of other threads.

Film Yak:

Movie Titles on Print Tails

No outside food or drink rules

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I predict all those threads will bump to the top between Good Friday and Easter.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to bet on that? [evil]

I was going to edit my last post to include a link to you taunting me in your post Ian, but I got sidetracked and you beat me to it.

I thought "Lethal Passion" would fly right by a lot of people so I didn't include it, not wanting to be accused of exaggerating the number of threads.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 02:24 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Box Office Conjures Revelation: Jesus More Popular Than Toys, Apes...

As the box office estimates for the weekend trickled in, it was obvious: Jesus Christ is scoring mad props. Since The Lord’s popularity began to slip in the mid-1960s, being overshadowed by the British pop group The Beatles, as well as the popularity of mind-expanding drugs and anonymous sex, Jesus’s public appeal declined steadily through the decades. Until now.

Taking in a whopping $51M in its second weekend, pushing its grand total to over $212M, “The Passion of the Christ” has proven that it’s cool to love Jesus again.

“It’s great!” said one moviegoer. “People are really into it. Some said it’s even better than Pirates of the Carribean!”

For that, we’ll have to wait and see. But in the mean time, Jesus has proven to be more popular than many of the other distractions in the world. For instance, Jesus is already more popular than bugs or big cities, beating out “A Bug’s Life” and “Chicago” long ago. Also on the list, not only the President’s plane, but fighter planes as well. (Air Force One, Top Gun.) At this rate, Jesus might even soar past flying carpets. (Alladin.)

There are other things that Jesus’s popularity has surpassed in the past two weeks that Christians are more concerned about, one being Apes.

“It was a sigh of relief when we flew past that ‘Planet of the Apes’ garbage!” said one Christian woman at a local theater. “I mean, to teach that kind of ‘evolution’ blasphemy to millions of people on the big screen is unacceptable!!”

Some even went as far as Children’s films. “When I went to see Toy Story with my son, we left shortly after [it] began.” said a man leaving a ‘Passion’ screening, who wished to remain anonymous. “Toys that move and talk on their own? Clearly the work of Satan. I’m glad a film like [Passion] is teaching our young children what’s right.”

Other Christians expressed confidence that ‘The Passion of the Christ’ will help denounce other Hollywood holy vituperations.

“We only need $7 million more to prove that cross-dressing is wrong!” said a Pastor, referring to the Robin Williams comedy ‘Mrs. Doubtfire.’

“Just $30 Million more!” exclaimed a woman leaving a ‘Passion’ auditorium. “Then we’ll show you that the Lord’s power is not to be taken as a comedy!” She was no doubt referring to what some Christians are calling the highly-blasphemous Jim Carrey romp, ‘Bruce Almighty’ now on DVD. “We will prove that God is certainly not [Morgan Freeman]!!!”

Although the film is highly popular, some skeptics still refuse to see it. “There’s no way I’m going to sit through two hours of that crap!” said a local moviegoer, referring to the subtitles. “I go to watch a movie to watch a movie, not to read a movie.” The film is in Aramaic, Latin, and Hebrew.

Some industry insiders are frustrated over the frenzy. “People are taking this Jesus movie a little too far.” said the manager of a theater who wished not to be identified. “We had this lady completely spazz out at the box office when she heard it was sold out.” He said the woman began to scream and demand that she be allowed to stand in the theater to watch the film. When it was explained that this was not possible, she had a panic attack. “We finally just brought in a bench from the lobby and let [her] in. I don’t know why these people are so [unreasonable]. It’s not like seeing this movie is going to score you brownie points with [The Lord.]”

Only time will tell if the Power of the Passion of the Christ is more Popular than the witchcraft-wielding “Harry Potter,” the false Lord, the “Lord of the Rings,” or the overly-semitic “ET: The Extra Terrestrial.”

=TMP=

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-07-2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The above is obviously a satire piece (likely from 'The Onion' or the site that does 'religion' spoofs, whose name I cannot remember...)

Thomas, you are in violation of Film-Tech rules by not posting the source link (likely because it *is* satirical) [Big Grin]

-Aaron

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This page IS the source link! [Wink]

=TMP=

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh look a couple of new Passion Threads! [Roll Eyes]

Question about 'Passion'

The worst for 'PASSION' has begun in India and elsewhere in Asia – piracy

Although I must admit, I found the thread on piracy of "Passion" to be interesting. I know that Adam locked it because there are too many threads on "Passion." I'm guessing that the only way to combat this type of piracy is to open all films in all countries at the same time.

Oh my God! [Eek!] They're starting to grow like email spam!

The Passion of the Christ.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-12-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw it, why not a dedicated "Passion" Forum? It could open during Lent of every year. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: