Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 35mm in Large Venue IMAX (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 35mm in Large Venue IMAX
Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment in Auckland the Big Buzz is to see the latest blockbuster movies at the Now defunct IMAX , now the MEGA Screen , I went recently to view "Return of the KING" there and treated my kids and a friend as well , and while I was impressed with the size of the image (just over half the height of the IMAX screen is used), I was not too impressed with the continued flicker of the Light source and that the edges of the image were rather dark compared with the centre , I know there must be a trade off somewhere for the relative short throw and large screen , and in reality the others that came to see with me did not really notice the flicking wandering hotspots , but damn had me cursing silently , has anyone been able to sucessfully set up a 35mm to project an ideal image in a Venue like this ???? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-10-2004 03:00 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a 35mm in our IMAX booth since we opened. We recently had it retrofitted with a Simplex and a new reflector/lamp setup to increase light output. We've been running Return Of The King, too (but IMAX makes its return with NASCAR 3D this week!).

The scope image fills the entire width of our screen, and the size as projected is very close to Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions as they appeared, DMR and letterboxed. We had a little arc wander when the lamp got old, but replacing it worked, so there's no flicker at all anymore.

The upper corners are very dark, though. Nothing we can do about that. With a special light print, the output is almost as bright as the Matrix IMAX prints were ... but then, they were very dark movies. Yes, the throw versus image size is a challenge, but we did alright.

Far from ideal, though.

It used to be that we'd only run 35mm for big "event" movies, opening weekend, for sold-out shows, and such. Now, it seems that any old movie will draw a bigger crowd, so we have to run them instead. I don't mind running The Medallion for a late show after Matrix finishes its day's run, but Once Upon A Time In Mexico pre-empted it altogether ... oh, the humanity! (Not that it was a bad movie, but when there's no IMAX, we have to run 35mm--with theatre checks!--if we want hours.) [Frown] Lord of the Rings, I don't mind so much.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 04:00 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Brian , agree that not too much can be done with the dark edges but the wandering hot spot was for me was the biggest distraction , but the sound was just great .....it would be good if later they were able to install another large format projector or even show some of the classic 70mm films [Cool]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-10-2004 05:43 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it would be good if later they were able to install another large format projector or even show some of the classic 70mm films

Ask Gordon McLeod or Steve Guttag about their experiences with 5-perf 70mm in huge screen venues. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-10-2004 05:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone use movable masking in Imax venues that run 35/70mm, or do they all just leave the tall screen unmasked?

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 07:32 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Perth the IMAX cinema played 35mm and when it closed it sat for a year and then Regent Cinemas opened it as RMAX Regent to the Max, I just quit the other day from working there. Its running a Cinemecannica Vic 8 and scope fills right to the edges (22 meters) but not widescreen, although they are getting a new lens of shorter focal lenght to fill widescreen as well, although light will be a problem. The lamphouse is a Strong X60 D with a 7 k lamp. The corners are all a little darker then the rest of the picture and the image has better focus in the middle then the edges becuase the projector is still off too one side.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I believe that Jordon Commons Superscreen does have movable masking. They run more 35mm stuff on that screen than they do 8/70. Thats aso a really large screen at about 54H by 82 wide(or thereabouts). I'm also going to be installing a 35/70 JJ at the Museum Of Ancient Life's 15/70 3D Theatre as they want to run the 35mm hits during the summer when the kids are out of school. Since there is a nice independently operated 8 screen literally 20 yards to the south of the museum they will tie the showings in with that theatre and will also have them do their booking. T e 15/70 showings will continue all day with 35mm screenings at night. BTW: Everything is fed into a CSP1200 Panastereo processor at this location including the 15/70 sound from either mag or DTS - SV. That Panastereo is sooooo flexible and sounds great!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2004 09:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the theatre has a gain screen or 3d then focusing the lamp for a flat field should not be an issue also the flicker was not the fault of the image size but either a bad old lamp or dirty rectifier
Most of the comercial IMAX megaplex locations have less of a light issue since they are 3d venues and as such have a high gain screen so getting enough light is not a big deal (if they can't get enough light then someone doesn't know what they are doing)
But a theate with a matte white screen then that is more of an issue

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info guys , The AKL IMAX has a curved High gain screen with side masking for showing Flat and the trailers , I'll have to take a visit to the projection box to see what they are running , but the IMAX projectors are long gone .

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-10-2004 04:14 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we don't have masking. If we did, that masking would be HUGE! But our aperture plates are cut really nice, and the ambient lighting in the auditorium is so low during the movie, that masking would be mostly a wasted effort.

Our screen is painted with a proprietary silver paint for high-output light (and for 3D polarization issues), as are all name-brand IMAX 3D screens. If the IMAX projector has been removed from a theatre, chances are the screen had to come down too, and be replaced with another. That's what happened with all the Edwards IMAX locations in 2001. Because IMAX works as a package deal, everything had to go; sound rack and amps included, I think.

[ 03-10-2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Brian Michael Weidemann ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-10-2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
masking would be mostly a wasted effort
Yeah, just like curtains.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-10-2004 05:52 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, if you don't mind my asking, are you at the Irvine or the West Covina? I try to make it up to the Irvine to catch IMAX films now and then.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-10-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a fan of curtains either.

I'm at the good ol' Irvine Spectrum IMAX.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-10-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
For 3D theaters, Imax uses screens manufactured by MDI.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 03:38 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen in the AKL Mega is the Full height with Hig Gain and this was a 3D install as well , the side masking is full height as well ,so does not look like the screen has been replaced , but could be wrong . [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: