Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal Cinemas - Who Schedules the showtimes?

Author Topic: Regal Cinemas - Who Schedules the showtimes?
Rob Geran
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Rob Geran   Email Rob Geran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing this for a while now, mostly on Fandango.com. The Regal Cinemas by me does not spread out their showtimes when they have multiple prints of a movie. For instance:

Dawn of the Dead
12:10 | 12:35 | 2:40 | 3:10 | 5:05 | 5:35 | 7:30 | 8:00 | 9:55 | 10:25

and The Secret Window
12:25 | 12:55 | 2:50 | 3:25 | 5:20 | 5:50 | 7:45 | 8:20 | 10:15 | 10:45

Between one set of shows, they leave 25-35 minutes, with the next showing around 1 hour and 45 minutes later, as long as 3 hours later sometimes. Is there a reason why Regal does this, or is it just poor scheduling?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-17-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are pros and cons to keeping the showtimes together for double prints.

Keeping them together can get you more admissions if the show is frequently selling out an auditorium. It'll also cost you less in staff hours if you have a lot of downtime between rounds.

Spreading them out gives you the benefit of more distinct showtimes, but you lose much of the benefit of having to prints to handle sell outs as a lot of people will just see something else.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-18-2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, break periods are necessary in order to more easily allow staff members to take breaks, re-stock concessions, and sweep the lobby.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 03:52 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not a company thing. It is either...
1. A GM thing or (most likely)
2. A DM thing for the district

The closest I wil go between prints is 30 minutes if I more that 2 prints. However, my preference is around 45 minutes between prints. There are many pros and cons as Daryl pointed out. Demographic, length of feature, other features in building, popularity of feature and many other reasons play a huge factor in spacing of shows.

Personal opinion...anything less that 30 minutes between features is just plain stupid.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-18-2004 07:22 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're a Regal Edwards, and our showtimes tend to fall strictly on 10-minute marks, never at 15 or 45. The showtimes definitely do not come from our GM. I believe it's Edwards' corporate that has the department for showtime bookings.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 08:04 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, for Regal/Edwards/UA theaters, showtimes are currently up to the theater manager and in some cases the DM. Once in a while, the film department will dictate showtimes usually on the first print but that is very rare.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, someone at the Regal/UA Vogue (single screen) in SF is crack-pipe-in' in regard to showtimes this weekend for Eternal Sunshine. Running at about 1:55 with trailers, they scheduled their showtimes at 11:45, 2, 4:15, 7:00, 9:40.

Um, so the day staff has only about 20 minutes between shows (not even barely long enough to show The 20wenty) to clear the patrons, clean, prep, sell tix, etc., and then the evening staff have almost an hour before the 7, and then 45 minutes between the 7 and 9:40.

Why would you even need such bizarre showtimes for a single screen anyway? Why not just 11:30, 2, 4:30, 7, 9:30? Obviously someone toked up Monday morning, and then came out of this smoke filled room with these showtimes. I feel sorry for the staff...

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

FWIW, matiness are traditionally much slower than evening shows, thus, the greater amount of downtime needed in the evening. On the wknds, when the matiness are busier, tere are normally more employees on staff to handle the cleanup/turnaround, so it all works out in the end.

Rob Geran
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 03:48 PM      Profile for Rob Geran   Email Rob Geran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thank you all for the info. I thought it was just poor planning on Regal's part with the showtimes, but failed to realize the other factors in determining the schedule.

Joshua Lee Peercy
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 01:41 AM      Profile for Joshua Lee Peercy   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lee Peercy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a big problem with this at our theater we have complete daily timed shift schedules like from 7:05 to 7:09 you will help get ice for concessions.Then from 7:09 to 7:11 you will stock napkins etc... My point is that the usher staff will go on break some time during the day and it is easy to overlook one movie to clean or one to start than all the movies letting out and the all the movies start back agian with in the next 45-50 min.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-22-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so ridiculous it's hilarious Josh.

What happens if someone takes all of the napkins at 7:12?

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 07:49 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,

Isnt it obvious? if some customer takes all the napkins at 7:12, then there will be NO napkins for other customers until the next scheduled napkin restock.

Its simple. you cant possibly have some concessionist using initiative and restocking the napkins at the wrong time!

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Daryl...How dare you try to tellthem that their oppresive ultra-micro management has a flaw!!!! Someone wasted a good portion of time that they will never get back on that schedule....as I'm sure they do everyday making other equally oppresive micro-mgmt. decsions [Big Grin] ....Seriously, I've worked for companies that do that and you will be written up if you differ at all from that schedule...and what happens if say a popper breaks and two employees are taken out of the equation to fix it...can you adjust the schedule.....NO...the furher says we must stay on the schedule

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 10:46 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric

You should have seen how SF theatres scheduled films back in the 70's. LOGAN's RUN at the Alexandria (single screen then)had 5 shows a day with only 5 minutes between daytime showings, 15 minutes before the first evening show, and 10 minutes before the last showing (no previews, either).

The Northpoint theatre scheduled only 5 minutes between ALL shows of Nashville, and their engagement of 117 minute THE WAY WE WERE had showtimes scheduled for every two hours.

This seemed to be pretty typical for first-runs in LA NYC as well. Even when the Chinese Theatre ran STAR WARS in 1977 with every show sold out, there seemed to be no more than 10-15 minutes between shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: