Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stupid Diets.....I Hate you!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stupid Diets.....I Hate you!!
Tony Zanghi
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Tony Zanghi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So i'm the manager at a little 2 screen theatre in Johnstown, PA and we are a cafe as well that serves nachos as a side with every meal... It's friday and we were pretty busy so i was helpin out on the grill when one of the waitresses comes back to me with a bag of soy corn chips in her hand and says the lady wants these instead of our regular corn chips!!!! Now we all know that if one person starts every one will.. I was pretty upset because she is a person that comes to the theatre often. I ended up letting her do it and told please not to do it again, and she looked at me like i was the one who was wrong, I wanted to punch the old bag in the head, but i withheld from doing so.. Not three minutes later a gentleman at the counter says to me "You guys should get some Atkins food in here, this is the first time i ate bread in 2 months"!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT EAT SOMEWHERE ELSE.... Sorry just venting thanks for listening...

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-18-2004 11:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What will be the next thing that people are going to decide is bad for them?

Oxygen?! Doncha' know that oxygen is a KILLER? Yes! It has a 100% death rate! Everybody who has ever breathed oxygen has died! Everybody who ever WILL breathe oxygen WILL die! What's more, it's lethally addictive! If you try to go without oxygen you will die in less than 5 minutes!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The deal with the Atkins Diet is as annoying as the Anti-Piracy Campaign.

It seems that ever since Subway begin promoting their sandwiches with it, everyone has become obsessed with " Atkins this, Atkins that ".

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 03-19-2004 03:38 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

It's workin for me, I is fasst becoming a
Lean Mean Arse Kickin Machine!!!

As a former semi-pro cyclist, I was taught to load on carbs and when I quit the game, it was hard to re adjust my diet. Result,
80 Lb. weight gain.

So far I have lost 10Lbs. in 2 weeks, and the funny thing is, I am literally eating much better food than before.

Don't get me wrong, I love Italian food,so pasta is a tough give up for me, but I just had a Rib eye and Rock lobster
dinner and I enjoyed every last morsel [thumbsup]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 04:15 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diets are stupid. People just need to realize that they are fat because of their lifestyle. Yes, I know it isnt everyone's fault, its genetic. Well, I am not a geneticist and I am pulling this out of thin air but I dont understand how millions of people suddenly entered to same obese gene pool in the last 20 years. I think it takes a little longer than that. Is anything anyone's own fault anymore? I am not saying that diets bad all together but you cant just go on a diet and still sit on the couch all day.

And there is this restricted calorie diet where you eat very little food to help reduce the amount of free radicals in your system. Supposedly it works very well and you should live a lot longer because of it. Well, I would rather have a ten year shorter life than to live off of primordial soup my entire life.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-19-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a thin individual, I have to say that I find it particularly frustrating that there are no diets designed to help me gain weight.

And, no, those protein shakes don't count. That's not real food. [puke]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 03:00 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Erick!

It's working for me too. I've lost 25 pounds and leveled off in the last year. Starting "phase two" with the intention of dropping another 25. That'll take me down to 240 which is OK for a 6-1 72 year old who graduated from high school at 233. Doing three days a week at the local "Circuit Workout" too. No high blood pressure or cholesterol problems.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 04:16 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This all sounds like yak to me but here's my 2 cents...
I found out six weeks ago that I'm diabetic - most likely caused by a 50 pound weight gain in just three years. My doctor informed me that if I lose some of that weight and exercise a little more (which is difficult with my bad back and knees) the diabetes could eventually work itself out.

I've pretty much cut out processed sugars, cholesterol and lowered my carbs and I've lost nearly 30 pounds already yet I'm eating until I'm full several times a day. A lot of the stuff I'm eating has the Atkins seal of approval - most importantly to me is the low-carb bread. I'm also eating a lot of soy substitutes. I can't have potato chips anymore so I've been tolerating soy chips.

There's nothing at the theatre I can eat or drink besides water and I've been more than happy to accomodate people's dietary needs when checking for outside food/drink at the door.

I've always been a meat-eater but it hasn't been too difficult to cut out meat. Morningstar Farms and Boca have some decent fake burgers/sausages/bacon, etc. Anyway, if I keep this up I should be able to live a few years longer.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-19-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Malloy's signature:
quote:
What's the buzz? Tell me what's a-happenin'!
Why should you want to know? [Wink] [thumbsup]

All of this is making me wonder if I might do more harm than good by gaining weight.

We're constantly hearing about the risks associated with being overweight but would somebody explain the risks associated with being underweight ?

I'm within the acceptable range for my height/age but I'm on the low side. I would prefer to be more toward the middle of the scale.

And, Matthew is right. This certainly has turned into a YAK session.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-19-2004 06:13 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it always was.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-19-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, if you want to gain some weight just hit the dairy stuff hard. Lots of ice cream will do the trick.

I have been thin most of my life (more like scrawny when I was in high school). Being in my mid 30's I started pounding up a bit as my metabolism began to slow. The high sugar content of sodas has been the main culprit. With a few adjustments, like drinking diet sodas more often (but not 100% of the time) the extra pounds were eliminated.

But weight isn't the real enemy. LDL "bad" Cholesterol is.

Despite being thin, my cholesterol level is borderline bad. My total number was up to 240, but now I'm pushing down to safer levels (around 210 and working on the below 200 level). I don't feel like getting on statin type drugs, so I'm eating more vegetables, fruits and high fiber grains as a slower but safer alternative for cleaning out cholesterol.

You don't have to weigh 300 pounds to drop dead of a heart attack. Lots of thin people die of heart attacks, stroke and other problems directly attributable to cardiovascular disease. Blood mud is bad.

This is why I'm not such a big fan of the Atkins diet. Many people don't follow it the right way, just thinking they can load up on burger patties, eggs and bacon.

Only 10% to 20% of the cholesterol in your bloodstream comes directly from the food you eat. The rest is all produced by your liver. The hazard is that certain types of food make your liver produce a lot more of the bad LDL type of cholesterol. "Trans fats" found in lots of fast food and processed junk foods are especially bad about pushing up LDL levels. I think it is accurate for people to characterize a high trans fat diet as being similar to a smoking habit. Pretty damned dangerous.

quote:
We're constantly hearing about the risks associated with being overweight but would somebody explain the risks associated with being underweight?
Osteoporosis is pretty bad. If you're active at all, you greatly increase your risk of injury by not eating enough. Your body needs a certain amount of calcium in the bloodstream and your body literally consumes its own skeletal mass to maintain that balance. Blood vessels themselves are harmed more easily and slower to repair from inadequate diet. All of your body's organs need certain fuels to maintain proper function.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-19-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see the "Super Size Me" movie.

Have you all heard about this independent movie? The filmmaker used himself as a guinea pig for a month-long experiment wherein he consumed only fast food -- specifically McDonald's, I think. Anyway, the other rule was that whenever they asked him if he would like to "Super Size" his meal, he had to go along with it.

Well, in that month, he gained all kinds of weight and developed serious internal problems. In the clip that I saw on "Ebert & Roeper" he was being told that his liver was starting to act up.

I have to wonder if this film was a factor in the recent decision to remove Super Size french fries from the McDonald's menu.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atkins is great! I've lost nearly 70 pounds since last November. We had a weight contest at work, and I lost the most weight in a month (32 pounds), and I decided to keep going from there. I weighed in at 304, and am currently 235 pounds. I did the Atkins diet up until about a month ago and am now just eating healthier, with a cheat meal or two every now and then. I totally agree that the Atkins bashers just don't understand the diet. I read the book and followed it and I'm very happy with where I am now. I realize most of the weight earlier on was likely water weight, but I'm down to size 36 from 42. I'd encourage anyone who is overweight to try the diet, but of course, don't go in assuming it's all meat, etc. I've also heard of success stories with South Beach diet as well.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-19-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be tall skinny kid when I was in high school at 6 foot and a hundred fifty five pounds. Being an Asian in the nineteen fifties, a six foot height was pretty tall. I tried everything to put on a couple of pounds but nothing worked. For some reason, I started to gain weight after I left the service in the mid sixties and at one time tipped the scale at a staggering 275 pounds. I knew it was not healthy to carry that much weight and today,it is about one hundred eighty five pounds and I am still six foot tall. I have found working out at a gym is the best way to maintain weight and that is the reason I cherishI my multi gym membership at 24 hr Fitness and go about three times a week. There was a time when I used to work out seven days a week. Controlling weight with diets can be very risky and in the end, a person is very likely to gain it all back again when they resume their natural eating habits.

-Claude

[ 03-20-2004, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 03-19-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES,

Read the books, there is more to it than most people assume,
my colestrol levels have also vastly improved, lower LDL's .

btw: I am a high risk for Diabetes!!!

A good idea before starting Adkens would be to have the blood glucose tolerance test, if you really want to know the hard true facts fo your bodies condition!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: